Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My RetroPie (Raspberry Pi) bartop arcade cab build

Options
  • 08-09-2015 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    Not sure if this is the place to share, but I recently completed my first build using a Raspberry Pi. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.

B82mmA2.jpg

Right now it supports MAME, SNES, NES, and MegaDrive. It has the ability to support tonnes more.
    The only snag I really hit was configuring the xin-mo controller, and I had to manually write a C++ patch for the mame4all emulator as by default it doesn't support as many buttons as I had.

Album here:
    http://imgur.com/a/rt8Tm#B82mmA2

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nice Bartop, well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Nice work, looks well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Looks great.

Where did you get the Joust artwork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Where did you get your marquee made?

Also, did you have any problems with the Xin-Mo USB board?

I got mine up and running last week. I had to change the wiring to the Xin-Mo so the up and left pins of Player 1 & 2 are unconnected, then change the RetroPie config to get over the second controller not recognised issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Joust! My fave cab ever, very nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

That really is fantastic. I've been looking to build a bartop for a while now but haven't got round to it. Care to post a guide to how you did it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

kencleary wrote: »
    That really is fantastic. I've been looking to build a bartop for a while now but haven't got round to it. Care to post a guide to how you did it?

Would actually like to see a guide too. Thinking about making my first few brave steps into cab or bartops. Been fascinating looking at all the projects by people on here, some incredibly skilled chaps most definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

I've been away for a couple of days so I'll try to answer everything here.

The Joust artwork and marquee I got from arcadewarp.com (based near London I think). I've just checked and it appears the site is gone now! I got these done a few months ago.

Using the Xin-mo USB board was simple. The RetroPie Linux build already had the drivers installed so it worked almost out of the box. I did run into the same (or similar) issue that eeguy mentioned, however my solution was just to take all inputs from xin-mo as player 1 and configure mame4all & retroarch to accept more buttons per player.

I'll work on putting a guide together.

I should mention the part I had most problems finding was the monitor, not the usual arcade issues since I wasn't looking for a CRT. I lucked out and managed to find a guy selling a Dell 19inch 4:3 monitor for 20eur on adverts. The lesson, 4:3 monitors are everywhere unless you're looking for one.

The lesson, 4:3 monitors are everywhere unless you're looking for one.

So true :D

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭whackball

Would anyone be interested in 19inch HP rotatable monitors to use in their arcade builds.

I've one or two spare ?

• Advertisement

The lesson, 4:3 monitors are everywhere unless you're looking for one.

Lesson two, they return to being everywhere when you've already managed to find one...

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

Ha! So True!
    Would anyone be interested in 19inch HP rotatable monitors to use in their arcade builds. I've one or two spare ?

No I'm good. But what kind are they? Are they the silver 4:3 ones? VGA?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

I would definitely be interested if one spare - rotatable is very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Jez, now that is a nice bartop, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭MrVestek

whackball wrote: »
    Would anyone be interested in 19inch HP rotatable monitors to use in their arcade builds.

I've one or two spare ?

Yes please. I've been looking to replace the monitor in my bartop anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭damanloox

Looks great!
    Where did you get the panels (ie. was that a kit or did you do it yourself?). I'm planning to build one but I don't have my own workshop so getting the MDF cut to right size is my biggest problem... ;)

Advertisement