Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a lovely, mild chicken curry recipe

Options
  • 08-09-2015 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

I wasn't a curry person at all, so never bothered making them. But I love them now, only a mild one though. I'd love to make one for dinner tonight but not sure of any nice recipes for mild ones.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Korma & Bhuna would be among the milder of the curry family. Do a search for those for a start.

To be honest, you can adapt most curry recipes to your own taste. I make a vindaloo-style curry that even my wife & kids are happy to eat, & they don't go for really spicy curries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

One of my favourites is Thai green curry. I used to tailor it to my own tastes or my daughter's taste and she is more fussy (now she's 16.) I might replace rice with baby potatoes and she has her list of dislikes. It's not too hot and Aldi (and Lidl) do a nice sauce and it used to be only 89-99c.

Aldi sauce.

RumBL7K.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

AnCiotog wrote: »
    But I love them now, only a mild one though.
    Do you know what you had before. Many mild ones have lots of coconut, which I love but some hate, just check the ingredients lists if buying jars. Ingredients are listed in order of greatest first, which you probably already know. So often I will still buy products if things I dislike are in it but down the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 AnCiotog

rubadub wrote: »
    Do you know what you had before.
    I don't!! So that's why I'm looking for ideas, because I literally don't have a clue. I know they're not kormas though. I asked my cousin for her recipe because that was one of the ones I loved.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,009 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What's the hottest and spiciest curry you can get in a takeaway please? Love hot things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

I've a beautiful recipe that I always go back to:

4 chicken breasts
    Large onion, diced
    2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or minced
    Inch long piece of ginger, finely minced or grated
    1 tsp Garam Masala
    1 tsp Cumin
    1 tsp Turmeric
    1 tsp Ground Coriander
    1/2 teaspoon Cayenne
    2.5 tsp mild curry powder
    Tin of chopped tomatoes
    Tin of coconut cream/milk (full fat only)

Fry your onion, garlic, ginger and chicken until the chicken is cooked.
    Add all of the spices and fry for another minute or two.
    Then add your chopped tomatoes and the coconut milk - use as much coconut milk as you like to meet your taste preference (I use a whole tin as I'm a pig haha)

Then just simmer for about 20 minutes or so

One of the tastiest curries I've ever made, enjoy!

EDITED TO ADD - Please don't be tempted to use Low Fat Coconut Milk. I tried it once and it made a huge difference! Not really very nice, does need to be the full fat stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've a beautiful recipe that I always go back to:

Then just simmer for about 20 minutes or so

One of the tastiest curries I've ever made, enjoy!
    Be no problem chucking that in the slow cooker I suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Jaggy

Green Saffron spice mixes, available in Super Valu. Get the Korma one if you want mild, follow the instructions on the back, dead easy and tasty. For those who like it spicier, try the Madras.

Edit - lists all the ingredients to buy on the back, sounds very similar to the above recipe.

kylith wrote: »
    Be no problem chucking that in the slow cooker I suppose?

I don't see why not - although I would probably leave out the coconut milk until near the end, maybe just stir in whilst your rice is cooking?

I have a feeling it might split otherwise but I'm not 100% sure!

I don't see why not - although I would probably leave out the coconut milk until near the end, maybe just stir in whilst your rice is cooking?

The butter chicken recipe I use in the slow cooker has the coconut milk in at the start and that does ok, so I think I'll give it a go.

• Advertisement

The butter chicken recipe I use in the slow cooker has the coconut milk in at the start and that does ok, so I think I'll give it a go.

I haven't used a slow cooker in a while, might invest in one this weekend now that the colder weather is coming! :)

I haven't used a slow cooker in a while, might invest in one this weekend now that the colder weather is coming! :)

I'll just say that they are amazing things. You put ingredients in in the morning and when you come home a stew has appeared as if by magic!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 AnCiotog

Cool, I might try out this one. Totally new to this, so all suggestions welcome. I love cooking but I'm normally an Italian or Irish cook, so anything different should be fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

The Green Saffron prepared sauces and fantastic, are available in Tesco... I had the mild one recently and added some cooked carrots and spinach and it was divine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

If youre are still wondering, ive cooked this recipe (and many variants) as slow cook with the c/milk added early, had no problems. I dont have a slow cooker though just left cooking and lowest heat for any from 1 to about 4 hours.

also, maybe it makes a difference so ill mention, often id blend onions/garlic/ginger/spices/tomatoes/ etc. To a paste before adding back to chicken and then c/milk/water or stock. dont know if a paste makes a diference but ive never had it seperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

What's the hottest and spiciest curry you can get in a takeaway please? Love hot things.

A phal often but ask the individual takeaway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Old Perry wrote: »
    If youre are still wondering, ive cooked this recipe (and many variants) as slow cook with the c/milk added early, had no problems. I dont have a slow cooker though just left cooking and lowest heat for any from 1 to about 4 hours.

also, maybe it makes a difference so ill mention, often id blend onions/garlic/ginger/spices/tomatoes/ etc. To a paste before adding back to chicken and then c/milk/water or stock. dont know if a paste makes a diference but ive never had it seperate.

Sorry did you mean you cook it on low in the slow cooker for 1-4 hours? I have had a lot of problems with cooking chicken in the slow cooker as it always turns out awful (dry and tasteless).

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Sorry did you mean you cook it on low in the slow cooker for 1-4 hours? I have had a lot of problems with cooking chicken in the slow cooker as it always turns out awful (dry and tasteless).

nope, dont have a slow cooker. i stick it in the pot, bring to boil, lid on and down to lowest heat, stir occassionally. maybe someone else can point out if pot or s/cooker would make a difference?

dry snd tasteless? doesnt sound right at all my friend. at very least being cooked slowly and submerged in liquid the chicken should be coming out 'moister' (im a master of the english language :-P) the longer its left, im no expert but anything after an hour or 2 and that chicken should be juicy. (i use breasts as opposed to a dismantled whole chicken)

Zelda247 wrote: »

also i fry off/brown the meat before hand, just for a quick 2mins. i thought this might help to hold it together while cooking and maintain moistness but now i dont know after reading the myths thread.

post your rough recipe/method here and im sure there'll be helpful feedback. i can also post exactly what i do here if it helps, although its pretty much the same as magicmushrooms instruction.

Looks like I should have taken this advice, I made it tonight and it split! Ah well, I'm not fussy, I'll eat it anyway :D

• Advertisement

Looks like I should have taken this advice, I made it tonight and it split! Ah well, I'm not fussy, I'll eat it anyway :D

Haha that's funny! I'd eat it too though :D
    Hope you enjoy it!

It's tomorrow's dinner but it smells amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

Hi Would you mind posting or send me a pm with your butter chicken recipe please?
    I've checked the post no1 on slow cooker thread but I don't see it listed.

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Ryan Mac Sweeney

Hi there
    I just read your post regarding a mild chicken curry recpie. I believe that a Thai Green Curry, Chicken Korma or Tikka Masala are the three best mild curries. To make a curry less spicy just use milder or less chillies and always remember to remove the seeds when preparing them as thats where most of the heat is. Also by adding natural yoghurt to a curry cools it down and it also adds a nice creaminess to it. Also have a bowl of natural yoghurt to accompany a curry as you can then add a spoonful to it if you want to cool it down

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Mellifera

OP, you should have a look here http://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/76584619. Curry addict has put up some fabulous recipes. I've begun making these and while they do take time are superb! The korma is really tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi there
    I just read your post regarding a mild chicken curry recpie. I believe that a Thai Green Curry, Chicken Korma or Tikka Masala are the three best mild curries. To make a curry less spicy just use milder or less chillies and always remember to remove the seeds when preparing them as thats where most of the heat is. Also by adding natural yoghurt to a curry cools it down and it also adds a nice creaminess to it. Also have a bowl of natural yoghurt to accompany a curry as you can then add a spoonful to it if you want to cool it down

I have to disagree with you there, Ryan. A Thai Green Curry would usually be made quite spicy. That said, if you are making it yourself you can adjust the ingredients to suit your taste. Also, I find that adding yoghurt to an Indian-style curry is fine, but I wouldn't add it to a Thai curry. It would alter the texture & taste, & possibly curdle depending on how much lime juice was used.

Kormas tend to be mild enough, as do Bhunas.

ellejay wrote: »
    Hi Would you mind posting or send me a pm with your butter chicken recipe please?
    I've checked the post no1 on slow cooker thread but I don't see it listed.

Thanks in advance!

No worries here it is

http://www.halfbakedharvest.com/easy-healthier-crockpot-butter-chicken/

Advertisement