Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband through power lines

• 08-09-2015 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭

Hi, seeing as fibre broadband is likely to be unavailable in parts of rural Co Carlow for some time ( if ever? ) has anybody heard anything about the possibility of broadband being transmitted through the power lines instead?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,774 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

ESB and Vodafone to invest €450 million in 100% fibre broadband network

‘Fibre-to-the-building’ technology to deliver world-leading speeds

50 towns | 500,000 homes and businesses | 26 counties

ESB and Vodafone today signed an innovative joint venture agreement to invest €450 million in building a 100% fibre-to-the-building broadband network offering speeds from 200 Mbps to 1000 Mbps, propelling Ireland into the ranks of the world's fastest broadband countries . Ireland will also become the first country in Europe to utilise existing electricity infrastructure on a nationwide basis to deploy fibre directly into homes and businesses, initially reaching 500,000 premises in 50 towns. The fibre will be deployed on ESB's existing overhead and underground infrastructure, ensuring a fast and cost efficient roll-out to every county in Ireland an

http://www.esb.ie/main/press/pressreleaseWS.jsp?id=4074

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

http://siro.ie/ link to the siro site, they are starting the roll out this year no idea when carlow is on the plan though but at least we are on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

ESB and Vodafone to invest €450 million in 100% fibre broadband network

http://www.esb.ie/main/press/pressreleaseWS.jsp?id=4074

They mention towns but it seems that the people in between them might be left out again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

I'd say whenever this does launch in Carlow it'll only cover the Carlow Town and Graiguecullen areas.

Couldn't imagine there'd be much potential return from a business point of view in rural areas to make it financially violable.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭oscillating wildely

Seanachai wrote: »
    Hi, seeing as fibre broadband is likely to be unavailable in parts of rural Co Carlow for some time ( if ever? ) has anybody heard anything about the possibility of broadband being transmitted through the power lines instead?.

I have Reach broadband with the router upstairs on the landing. The signal didn't extend to my sky box which is downstairs in the extension which is held up using iron beams.

I bought TP plugs and after a bit of fiddling about got it to work. I did get Reach out to do it but they told me it couldn't be done. They work through the power lines so one is plugged in upstairs and another downstairs and connected via LAN cables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Melodeon

http://siro.ie/ link to the siro site

You'd need to have fibre broadband in the first place to browse that site :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Niemoj wrote: »
    I'd say whenever this does launch in Carlow it'll only cover the Carlow Town and Graiguecullen areas.

Couldn't imagine there'd be much potential return from a business point of view in rural areas to make it financially violable.

i'd assume it would be coming in via the power lines, so anyone with electricity would have access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

It's not the same as powerline adaptors.

Cooper cable still has limitations not to mention when it's transferring high voltages too.

The fibre will piggyback on power cables. It will serve the areas covered by UPC/eircom fibre. It's a commercial venture.

Rural areas not covered or scheduled to be covered by above will be so to an improved level by a company contracted to by the government in a very much subsidised service.

It's likely the government will see the max that's commercially worthwhile then pick up the slack. I wouldn't hold your breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I first heard of this at least 15 years ago so I wouldn't be looking forward to it rolling out anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Morf wrote: »
    It's not the same as powerline adaptors.

Cooper cable still has limitations not to mention when it's transferring high voltages too.

The fibre will piggyback on power cables. It will serve the areas covered by UPC/eircom fibre. It's a commercial venture.

Rural areas not covered or scheduled to be covered by above will be so to an improved level by a company contracted to by the government in a very much subsidised service.

It's likely the government will see the max that's commercially worthwhile then pick up the slack. I wouldn't hold your breath.

i worked in a major telecoms in the late nineties and they were giving us lectures on this whole idea. I agree with iwillhtfu.

• Advertisement
Advertisement