Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezer Containers

Options
  • 08-09-2015 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone ever seen a pack of lunchbox style freezer containers that are perfect for one meal per pack? so for example if I do a big Tagliatelle I can throw a plates worth of pasta into one container and freeze it, they're harder to find than you think! I always check Aldi and Lidl when they come in and they're always either too big or too small...

Do zip-loc bags work well or does it all get messy and impart a plastic taste to the food when you reheat in them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

The closest to a single meal size container that I have came from Ikea. They usually have sell packs with a few different sizes in them for a few quid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

BDJW wrote: »
    The closest to a single meal size container that I have came from Ikea. They usually have sell packs with a few different sizes in them for a few quid

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/s...g/food-savers/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dealz have various sizes, they seem to be from the same factory as tesco's ones, but a fraction of the price

http://www.dealz.ie/catalogsearch/result/?q=food+container

Also some of the items in dealz come in really good containers. I got these chocolate snow roll things made in germany and the container makes a great lunchbox, totally airtight and hard to open. Big container of chocolates for €1.49 and a container that would be around €2.50 in other places.
    Do zip-loc bags work well or does it all get messy and impart a plastic taste to the food when you reheat in them
    I would not reheat in them, most of these bags shrink with boiling water showing they are not suitable. Microwaveable containers will have PP5 on the bottom stamped on them, this is polypropylene and will not deform until past about 125C or so

ecology-symbol-for-pp-5-logo-BC6AAF8481-seeklogo.com.gif
    pp-container-logo-53.jpg

I often just use glass jars that had curry sauce etc in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Dunnes do decent clip lock boxes I use for freezing.
    I've yet to try zip lock bags for meals / sauces, but heard it supposed to work great and free up more space in the freezer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Thargor wrote: »
    Has anyone ever seen a pack of lunchbox style freezer containers that are perfect for one meal per pack? so for example if I do a big Tagliatelle I can throw a plates worth of pasta into one container and freeze it, they're harder to find than you think! I always check Aldi and Lidl when they come in and they're always either too big or too small...

Do zip-loc bags work well or does it all get messy and impart a plastic taste to the food when you reheat in them?

Save the boxes from Chinese take aways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

katydid wrote: »
    Save the boxes from Chinese take aways.

This!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

This!

What better excuse to eat lots of take aways...?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

katydid wrote: »
    What better excuse to eat lots of take aways...?
    :D You can also buy them easily in many Asian supermarket.

Advertisement