Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on commute - Drumcondra to Spencer Dock?

Options
  • 08-09-2015 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hello all

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for the best way to commute from the Upper Drumcondra Road to Spencer Dock? I was thinking that bus to O'Connell St and then Luas to Spencer Dock might be the best but then I learned there was a DART station near Spencer Dock? I'm not very familiar with Dublin and have never used the DART before so I'm not sure if this would be a better option? I'm about a 15min walk from Drumcondra DART station.

I'm also looking for advice on the best deal for tickets for the commute... I have a leap card so maybe the weekly cap is the best way to go? So sorry for all the questions but I keep getting confused looking at all the options and it would really help me to have some advice from people who know Dublin a bit better!

Thank you so much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

With a relatively short commute like that, would bike be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

It's fairly walkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Bus to O'Connell street maybe and walk the rest of the way. You could probably walk the whole way easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

There is no DART station at either Drumcondra or Docklands. The trains that service those stations, are the intercity ones. Docklands is the terminus for the M3 commuter service from Meath. It doesn't stop at Drumcondra, so getting the train all the way from Drumcondra to Spencer Dock isn't an option.

Option 1: Bus into O'Connell St. Luas from Abbey St to Spencer Dock.

Option 2: Walk or get the bus to the Drumcondra station, get the Maynooth commuter train to Connolly, walk across the road to Busaras and get the Luas down to Spencer Dock. Or you could just walk to Spencer Dock from Connolly. It's about a 10 minute walk.

I'd go with Option 1...less messing and walking.

Irish rail have maps on their website showing the various lines and services. The DART runs north/south from Greystones/Bray to Howth/Malahide. There is no east/west DART service.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 elavia

With a relatively short commute like that, would bike be an option?

Perhaps when I get a bit more used to the area? I'm a little terrified to cycle in Dublin to be honest but it would be my goal to eventually be able to - save money and all that.
    Birneybau wrote: »
    It's fairly walkable.

Google Maps says 48min walk which isn't too bad I guess but I would like to know of public transport etc. for days when it's really very miserable outside. I need to look fairly presentable at work which can easily be ruined by a brisk walk and any sort of rain/wind!
    Lux23 wrote: »
    Bus to O'Connell street maybe and walk the rest of the way. You could probably walk the whole way easily enough.

I could give this a go either but for the very bad days I'd like to know the transport back-up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 elavia

ProudDUB wrote: »
    There is no DART station at either Drumcondra or Docklands. The trains that service those stations, are the intercity ones. Docklands is the terminus for the M3 commuter service from Meath. It doesn't stop at Drumcondra, so getting the train all the way from Drumcondra to Spencer Dock isn't an option.

Option 1: Bus into O'Connell St. Luas from Abbey St to Spencer Dock.

Option 2: Walk or get the bus to the Drumcondra station, get the Maynooth commuter train to Connolly, walk across the road to Busaras and get the Luas down to Spencer Dock. Or you could just walk to Spencer Dock from Connolly. It's about a 10 minute walk.

I'd go with Option 1...less messing and walking.

Irish rail have maps on their website showing the various lines and services. The DART runs north/south from Greystones/Bray to Howth/Malahide. There is no east/west DART service.

Thanks, I didn't realise those weren't DART stations so appreciate the corrections! Option 1 does seem the least messy. I'll try and work out what bits are good to walk etc. when I get settled in but I just wanted to know the best transport route for when it's really crap out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The fastest way is to get the train from Drumcondra to Broombridge and get the train from Broombridge to Docklands station, about 15 minutes altogether.

Take the 08:32 train outbound, get off at Broombridge and get the 08:39 towards Docklands. You'll arrive at 08:48

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

cgcsb wrote: »
    The fastest way is to get the train from Drumcondra to Broombridge and get the train from Broombridge to Docklands station, about 15 minutes altogether.

Take the 08:32 train outbound, get off at Broombridge and get the 08:39 towards Docklands. You'll arrive at 08:48

Brilliant. Never thought of that. Going backwards to go forward ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

If you're PwC you've showers in work so biking it in and leaving your work clothes in work would probably see you do it in 25mins or less. The Bus/Luas combo will take the same time as walking it direct in the rush hour traffic but as you say, could be handy for wet days. Just bear in mind though that Dublin Bus literally seizes up on wet days so be prepared to leave an hour earlier than you usually do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Put your exact details in here www.a-b.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement