Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie questions...

Options
  • 08-09-2015 12:32pm

I couldn't see a general chat thread or other appropriate thread on the first couple of pages. Apologies if there's a dedicated place for this type of query...

Taking part in a fantasy NFL Draft for the first time tonight. What are the pitfalls /newbie mistakes to avoid?

I'm 8th out of 10 in the draft order, so I'm assuming My picks depend on the positions drafted by my opponents? (i.e. If they all pick RBs first, I should hit the WRs early, and pick a RB as the draft snakes back?) What positions should I leave to the end? AFAIK it's 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 TÉ, 1 QB, 1 FLEX, kicker, and DEF.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

Everyones strategy differs but since there is only 10 you can hold off on drafting a QB until the later rounds. Kicker can wait til the last round and Defence to the second last round.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Pick a kicker with your last pick, pick a defense with your second last pick.

Are you sure it's only 1 RB? usually it's 2 plus one "Flex" position.

Anyway, stock up on RB's and WR's, leave a QB and TE until the middle rounds. How many teams in your league?

If it's 10 or so I'd go with 1 QB and 1 TE and you can pick another up if your guy gets injured or is not dong very well. OTher than that all RB's and WR's.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Stupid question but when it comes to defence do you just pick a team in its entirety? Like, for defence I pick the raiders for some unfathomable reason. Or is it one position?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭brady23

Is there any boards.ie leagues that have any spaces available??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

adrian522 wrote: »

Anyway, stock up on RB's and WR's, leave a QB and TE until the middle rounds. How many teams in your league?

If it's 10 or so I'd go with 1 QB and 1 TE and you can pick another up if your guy gets injured or is not dong very well. OTher than that all RB's and WR's.

Best of luck.

This is good advice.

Unless you can get one of Gronk, Graham or Olsen, leave the TE to the later rounds. Depends on how the draft is going, but I like to go RB RB start.

Also, ignore any and all rushes on kickers and defense, fill your bench and leave those till the last two picks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Stupid question but when it comes to defence do you just pick a team in its entirety? Like, for defence I pick the raiders for some unfathomable reason. Or is it one position?

Yep, one full teams defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭AirDemon

One very popular strategy.... if a little risky is to go for a few top RB's or WR's in the first 3 rounds, so if you have the chance to get 2 top RB's.... very unlikely but it can happen, then do and bulk your squad with WR's then and hope that some of them have stellar seasons.

It's not strange to see someone towards the end of the first rounds positions, say 7th in an 8 man league or 10 man league get the likes of Antonio Brown/D.Thomas and Dez Bryant/Beckham. Some say this is a bad idea as you get stuck without a top RB, but if you can pick up 6 RB's with a lot of potential, then hopefully one or two will hit and you'll be in with a great chance this season.

ScummyMan wrote: »
    This is good advice.

Unless you can get one of Gronk, Graham or Olsen, leave the TE to the later rounds. Depends on how the draft is going, but I like to go RB RB start.

Also, ignore any and all rushes on kickers and defense, fill your bench and leave those till the last two picks.

Cheers everyone for the advice.

What is the usual way that the bench works? Do you pick one replacement for each of your starting positions, or what's the craic?

Also is it a good idea to pick the most likely backup for one of your big guns in case of emergency....e.g. Brady/Garoppolo.... Or this a bad strategy?

adrian522 wrote: »

Best of luck.

Either 10 or 12. You may well be right about the RBs, i'll double check.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Ok. Ive asked elsewhere but this could be the place. 4th in a 10 team draft. Going Luck first round so either Jeremy Hill or Julio Jones second round. Which do pick? Third round I think ill get lamar miller or ty hilton. Thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DamienOB

Quick question. Is there a cut off point to have your team selected by? As in, i know in football one, after 11.30am Sat morning you cannot change your scoring players. Is there a similiar rule in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

DamienOB wrote: »
    Quick question. Is there a cut off point to have your team selected by? As in, i know in football one, after 11.30am Sat morning you cannot change your scoring players. Is there a similiar rule in this?

The players in your lineup are locked in once their game kicks off which also means that any bench players cant be included in your lineup after their game kicks off

Advertisement