Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Error on my licence

• 08-09-2015 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

hi,
    I went for my first lesson yesterday and the instructor saw that on my licence there was the category A but I'm not allowed the category A since I'm 21 and it's my first licence in Ireland! Could someone help me to understand what I can or can't drive in this case ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Is it a provisional A license? They shouldn't have given you that since you're under 24 years of age. Did you submit false information when you were applying for the provisional? (even by accident) If that is the case then you wouldn't be allowed to ride anything as the license wouldn't be valid.

Once someone completes the IBT on an A license they can ride any power of motorcycle on any roads in Ireland except for motorways, and after 6 months of holding the provisional you are allowed to then take the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 colinmcdonald

It's a learner license it is wrote 991(so it's my first)on the back and i gave them my right date of birth etc...

I remember when i was in the NDLS the man behind the counter said i was allowed a A category i was surprised so i told that didn't sound right and he looked at some book and came up to me to prove me wrong and said that i was allowed the A category.
    So now I'm confused and i don't know what to do ?

Can you remember the reason he said you were actually allowed it? Like what part of the book he quoted? If such a clause exists and you are allowed it at 21, then just tell the instructor that when you're doing your IBT and you'll be able to do it on an A bike.

They almost gave me the A provisional but the computer wouldn't let them (I'm 20) for a moment they were fully sure they were giving me the A provisional. I would have got it if it weren't for the fact that their computer system 100% would not let them do it just because of my age and there being no kind of module 5 direct access being used. The guy thought it was wrong until he went and asked someone else and they agreed they could only give the A2 (which I was expecting anyway). But that's why I'd be wary about the license being valid because their computer should have stopped them from issuing the license..

• Registered Users Posts: 8 colinmcdonald

So i found what he looked at it was the guidance notes of the ndls it says that theirs two ways to allow me 24 direct access or 20 progressive access so he said that i was allowed since i was over 20. So he got it wrong !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Its insane that the people who manage the application/distribution of the licences dont understand the different category's and requirements for each one. I mean fair enough the first few weeks or so it would be easy to be confused ... but a year down the line?

would the OP be able to use said licence or should he just bring it to the NDLS and hope that they know what to do ...

• Advertisement

This has happened before: The error was picked up a year down the line and the license had to be forfeited meaning he had to start afresh on an A2.

So what you should do is ring the NDLS and tell them the license has been issued in error and you would like to book an appointment to have it fixed or have them send an amended version out to the same address, and you will cut up your provisional you received in error.

You'll then be completely by the book and it won't come back to bite you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Do you have A2, A1 and AM on the permit out of curiosity? I say call them and try to get everything done through customer care. Assuming everything else about the application was correct, they will probably reissue the permit less the A category or if it was only the A you applied for, they would issue the A2 on a new permit. Maybe you'll have to surrender the incorrect permit in advance.

For your purposes, it doesn't matter. The only way you could have a learner category A is if you have had a full A2 for 2 years and were applying through progressive access. I'm assuming you haven't exchanged a full motorbike licence from abroad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

As this was NDLS error (and many were made) they can issue a free replacement via 'correct error on licence'. Expiry date would remain the same. If you pass a test on the A2 bike and hold it for 2 years, you can then reapply for an A permit (whether you are 24 or not) and do IBT progression module 5. You can then apply for full A licence. If its a larger NDLS office, ask to speak with the supervisor. At least they will ensure its correct this time. Alternatively, ring the RSA direct 1890 40 60 40 (faster than NDLS helpline) and they will advise you what to do (either to post it in or present at an NDLS office to correct it).

hi,
    I went for my first lesson yesterday and the instructor saw that on my licence there was the category A but I'm not allowed the category A since I'm 21 and it's my first licence in Ireland! Could someone help me to understand what I can or can't drive in this case ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Its insane that the people who manage the application/distribution of the licences dont understand the different category's and requirements for each one. I mean fair enough the first few weeks or so it would be easy to be confused ... but a year down the line?

would the OP be able to use said licence or should he just bring it to the NDLS and hope that they know what to do ...

It's not just the current crop who are useless. When I passed the EC test and dropped down to the tax office to get the endorsement added I also ticked EB. The person behind counter says I can't have EB as I don't have a cert for it, I pointed out that I just qualified to drive a 44t artic so am OK to tow a car trailer. They asked the person next to them what E means on the licence!

Advertisement