Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st appointment with Consultant Obstetrician at 13 weeks

Options
  • 08-09-2015 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi all

I am delighted that I am 5 and a half weeks pregnant. I will be seeing a consultant privately in Waterford Regional and his secretary has booked me in for 13 weeks (its about 12 and a half weeks as far as they can see but I ovulated early).

I was told to come with a full bladder and that I would get scanned by the Consultant that morning but I was just wondering will my bloods be taking too as in my booking bloods or do I need to make an appointment direct with the hospital for that? I am seeing my GP this week to confirm pregnancy so will I ask her to do the bloods instead? It's my first pregnancy so I am bit confused!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

If they require your bloods for testing at the first appointment they will do them there and you shouldn't need to make a specific appointment. I went to a different hospital but that first appointment I had to get bloods done. The pregnancy blood tests are different than routine blood tests done when you're not pregnant. I'd go with the flow on that first appointment at the hospital. If they need tests done they'll send you for them.

Congratulations by the way. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭billiejosie

br2015 wrote: »
    Hi all

I am delighted that I am 5 and a half weeks pregnant. I will be seeing a consultant privately in Waterford Regional and his secretary has booked me in for 13 weeks (its about 12 and a half weeks as far as they can see but I ovulated early).

I was told to come with a full bladder and that I would get scanned by the Consultant that morning but I was just wondering will my bloods be taking too as in my booking bloods or do I need to make an appointment direct with the hospital for that? I am seeing my GP this week to confirm pregnancy so will I ask her to do the bloods instead? It's my first pregnancy so I am bit confused!

Congratulations :)

I'm actually seeing Dr O'Donnell privately in Waterford. What happened with mine basically was that i saw him when i was 11 weeks pregnant. He did the scan, gave the estimated due date etc.
    Then when i was out with the receptionist making my follow up appointment, she gave me the hospital number to ring to sort out my booking in appointment. It was at that that the bloods were taken. Allow a few hours for that, i thought i'd be in and out an was rushing back to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭br2015

Thanks a million bovril and billiejosie for your replies and your congratulations, we are just over the moon with happiness and nervousness in equal measures!!

billiejosie, I am actually booked into see Dr O'Donnell also so thanks a lot for that information, that makes perfect sense. His secretary Mary seems lovely on the phone. Best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy. I have heard lots of great things about Dr O'Donnell so I hope you are happy with your care to date.

billiejosie, can I please bother you again to ask if you got a letter in the post or confirmation of your appointment with Dr O'D? I haven't got anything, I rang 5 weeks ago and a got a verbal date and time but I am just wondering if anything written comes as I am sure we need to pay some of Dr O'D's fees at the first appointment? Nothing was mentioned on the phone!

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭billiejosie

Hiya BR2015,

Yep i was the exact same, i only had a verbal appointment made for Dr O'D for my first one also. I actually rang them again just to confirm cos I was worried!

I didn't pay any fees at the first appointment. I asked the receptionist what was the situation with them, and she gave me a breakdown saying so much was to be paid at 24 weeks etc.

Let me know if you have any other questions :)

• Advertisement

Ah that's great thanks a million for the reassurance billiejosie, that's perfect and all the better that we don't have to pay some of Dr O'D's fees just yet as well.

Thanks for your help!

Advertisement