Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remington R-15?

Options
  • 08-09-2015 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭

With uncertainty over new laws, is there any point in applying for a licence for one of these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Pkiernan wrote: »
    With uncertainty over new laws, is there any point in applying for a licence for one of these?

Yes. The law hasn't changed and we haven't even seen any new proposed bill yet.

Also, the whole 'new laws' thing is irrelevant to applications. Either you have a good reason for wanting one or you don't. If the mere possibility of a new law coming in at some point in the future is enough to make you say "ah, forget it", then you'd fail the "does this person need this firearm?" test anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

GO.FOR.IT!!
    You wont regret it and it is a good starter gun into the AR design.The more of them out there is just showing that people just want to move on too with technology in firearms(albeit with a now 60 year old design) the more people see them coming out of the closet the better in that they see they are no different than any other rifle in leathality or whatever in their thinking.
    Plus if the worst did happen they are easily converted to bolt or even pump action rifles.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

God knows what the future will hold, but they can be got.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Where you get the underslung short pictinny rail Cass?Local or already on the gun?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

I made it from an old picatinny rail i had laying around for years. Just cut it to the length i wanted, then drilled out the holes and tapped them to match up to the screw points on the fire guard.

However i had a good chat with the lads in an airsoft shop in Dublin. They had Magpul stuff for airsoft up there that is the same spec as the stuff for the Remmy and other AR platforms. Handy source if you're stuck.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Wonder are the MAGPUL BUIS sights the same in that case?As there is about a 70% difference in price between the airsoft and the really real on line from the Magpu lfactory in Colorado.Not that you can get them from the US as they are an ITAR item for a real gun,but are then in this case, not because they can stick them on an airsoft....Go figure..:(

The guy in the shop was saying it's harder to get the stuff because Magpul were loosing serious money on the "real" stuff compared to the stuff they done for the airsoft even though both were essentially the same quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    GO.FOR.IT!!
    You wont regret it and it is a good starter gun into the AR design.The more of them out there is just showing that people just want to move on too with technology in firearms(albeit with a now 60 year old design) the more people see them coming out of the closet the better in that they see they are no different than any other rifle in leathality or whatever in their thinking.
    Plus if the worst did happen they are easily converted to bolt or even pump action rifles.

Traditionally, AR's were not really suitable for hunting/paper punching - the original utilitarian military design was not overly amenable to adding sights or accurising.

In the last 15-20 years, CNC machining in manufacture has improved their accuracy no end and the AR has evolved into a modular design amenable to civilian use.

They can no longer be considered military/police firearms.

yubabill1 wrote: »
    Traditionally, AR's were not really suitable for hunting/paper punching - the original utilitarian military design was not overly amenable to adding sights or accurising.

In the last 15-20 years, CNC machining in manufacture has improved their accuracy no end and the AR has evolved into a modular design amenable to civilian use.

They can no longer be considered military/police firearms.

Anyone know how the" flat top "design came about??Civillian modification from the mid west USA for coyote hunting in the early 1980s.Hunters found the carry handle design too high and awkward for scopes so they simply had them cut off and a scope rail machined onto the upper.The idea was spotted by Colt who had the sole patent on the design at the time and thy introduced it as a new inovation from Colt .An AR with a detachable carry handle.True story.

Are you thinking of one, something similar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Wonder are the MAGPUL BUIS sights the same in that case?As there is about a 70% difference in price between the airsoft and the really real on line from the Magpu lfactory in Colorado.Not that you can get them from the US as they are an ITAR item for a real gun,but are then in this case, not because they can stick them on an airsoft....Go figure..:(

http://www.tactical-arms.eu/Glock/Magpul-MBUS-Gen2-Sight-Kit.html

Here you can buy them here in deutschland, Funny you can own every part of any firearm you want here including full auto receivers just no barrel and bolt head. Crazy if you ask me. :pac::pac::p

Ah!BUT will they ship them outside of Germany??Many of those sites especially EGun have no international orders on all their items.Oberland Arms for example sells a whole load of US goodies like the ACOG sites but are precluded under ITAR regs from selling outside of the BRD.Buying a FA lower and even the trigger group is one thing .Getting a workable FA M16 bolt carrier is another story.
    Why bother when you could legally buy a slide stock and have just as much ammo wastage??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

If you want them, i can always export them for you:pac:;)
    on the other point i wouldnt i just find it amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Hi - OP back here.

I want to purchase one (or another AR type if available in Ireland), but I dont want to drop 2 grand on a setup only to have it confiscated or have to sell it at a loss like what happened to a bunch of handgun owners.

I will run it by my FO, and see what he says.
    Anyone have any advice as to how to word the "need" for this. Is target shoting at MNSCI sufficient? I already have a bolt action 308 which I use at Midlands and deer hunting.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Hi - OP back here.

I want to purchase one (or another AR type if available in Ireland), but I dont want to drop 2 grand on a setup only to have it confiscated or have to sell it at a loss like what happened to a bunch of handgun owners.

I will run it by my FO, and see what he says.
    Anyone have any advice as to how to word the "need" for this. Is target shoting at MNSCI sufficient? I already have a bolt action 308 which I use at Midlands and deer hunting.

Thanks

better move fast - might even be too late, as new SI being signed

see sticky at top of shooting home page

Just after seeing it and Yubabill may be correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

He pretty much is it seems. Still waiting on the details, but unless you had your application in today, it looks like it's a non-runner, and from what I'm hearing anyone who currently owns one is going to have to make a very strong case come renewals time.

Sigh...Already been done and strong cases have been already made and accepted by the judicary.But the renewals would be around 2017late 2016 at the earliest...What the situation will be then is another question.

From reading the other thread it would appear as thouggh you could still apply for one, but between now and the time of any new legislation (and it will come) you may be able to keep it, or it could be revoked. IOW retrospectively revoked to this date.

IOW it's more of a chance going for one than before.

EDIT - Actually the cap would seem to stop them in their tracks.

Advertisement