Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scary incident in D6

• 08-09-2015 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi everyone,

I came home from Electric Picnic at 3am Sunday night/Monday morning with my sister to an empty house (I rent with 3 friends), only to see someone had arranged flowers (picked from a bush in my garden) all over the front mat and also had them sticking out of the letterbox.

I was completely freaked out as the whole setting looked really sinister - they were clearly deliberately arranged and looked almost like flowers on a grave. I drove straight around to Rathmines Garda station. In fairness they came and checked out the house which was fine, but weren't overly helpful "maybe someone fancies you", "it's only flowers" etc.

I'm now really nervous in the house. We've noticed a couple of things happening lately, such as our bin being moved out into the garden (not by us) and had put it down to a strange neighbour across the road who (according to the Guards) suffers from mental illness and sits at home all day - they suggested he may be infatuated with one of us and could have put the flowers there (not a comforting thought). I have no idea who else it could be but it's really weird either way.

I'm not sure what to do next - just wondering if anyone has noticed anyone strange in the Rathmines/Rathgar area, has heard of anything similar happening to anyone else, or has any suggestions on what to do next? The Guards hadn't seen anything like it and agreed it was very creepy.

I'd really appreciate people's views!

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hi everyone,

I came home from Electric Picnic at 3am Sunday night/Monday morning with my sister to an empty house (I rent with 3 friends), only to see someone had arranged flowers (picked from a bush in my garden) all over the front mat and also had them sticking out of the letterbox.

I was completely freaked out as the whole setting looked really sinister - they were clearly deliberately arranged and looked almost like flowers on a grave. I drove straight around to Rathmines Garda station. In fairness they came and checked out the house which was fine, but weren't overly helpful "maybe someone fancies you", "it's only flowers" etc.

I'm now really nervous in the house. We've noticed a couple of things happening lately, such as our bin being moved out into the garden (not by us) and had put it down to a strange neighbour across the road who (according to the Guards) suffers from mental illness and sits at home all day - they suggested he may be infatuated with one of us and could have put the flowers there (not a comforting thought). I have no idea who else it could be but it's really weird either way.

I'm not sure what to do next - just wondering if anyone has noticed anyone strange in the Rathmines/Rathgar area, has heard of anything similar happening to anyone else, or has any suggestions on what to do next? The Guards hadn't seen anything like it and agreed it was very creepy.

I'd really appreciate people's views!

The flowers could be kids messing. The bin could be the bin men moving it and getting it wrong.

Its not really outside the realms of reality that there is nothing actually going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 aisling6152

listermint wrote: »
    The flowers could be kids messing. The bin could be the bin men moving it and getting it wrong.

Its not really outside the realms of reality that there is nothing actually going on.

I know, I would like to think the same thing, but my next door neighbour came into his house at 8.30pm and the flowers weren't there then. It's unlikely that kids would have done that late on a Sunday night.

Also the bins are at the end of our garden and we had been out to put something in the bin an hour before, and it was in its normal place. So someone obviously had come into the garden and moved it (it was also a Saturday, so not bin day).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Why is it unlikely that it was kids at 8.30 in the evening, or even a bit after? That's hardly the middle of the night.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Why is it unlikely that it was kids at 8.30 in the evening, or even a bit after? That's hardly the middle of the night.

Of course technically it could have been kids but there aren't many kids living nearby, also the arrangement was very deliberate, as opposed to just thrown there. I asked the Guards what they thought, hoping it could have been children, and they said it didn't look like something kids had done.

Also, the stems were cut, not broken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Get a camera and find out.... i personally dont think its that scary... but if it irks you you may as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Grab an old smartphone and download "Presence" and stick it in your front window.
    Free CCTV in minutes.

Zamboni wrote: »
    Grab an old smartphone and download "Presence" and stick it in your front window.
    Free CCTV in minutes.

That's brill to know, thanks a mill! Will definitely try that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I would say its an 'hilarious friend'.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭eladnova

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure what to do next - just wondering if anyone has noticed anyone strange in the Rathmines/Rathgar area, has heard of anything similar happening

Hey Aisling
    I'm in the Rathgar area and haven't heard of anything similar. Pretty big area though.

Our own bins were moved a few times and it can be disconcerting. Turned out to be the bin company themselves. Wasn't until I was at home one day and happened to be in the kitchen to witness it. Our bin wasn't even out for collection.

This kind of stuff can drive you nuts though if you start to put 2 and 2 together and get 5.

What you could do is get a web cam that will hook up to your wifi. Point it discreetly out the window and just let it record away. I've two of them here after a few break ins and they're great. They sell them in PC world.

Until you know exactly whats going on, you'll probably drive yourself nuts guessing.
    Also, take photos and date stuff if this happens in the future. It's no harm to have a record.

BTW you mentioned you have flat mates. Is it possible this was one of their friends or partners ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Didn't something like that happen in one of the scream movies with the flowers being arranged just a few days before the girl was murdered. So I'd say it is someone taking the pss. Well I would hope so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Th0mas Shelby

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Didn't something like that happen in one of the scream movies with the flowers being arranged just a few days before the girl was murdered. So I'd say it is someone taking the pss. Well I would hope so...

Well that's comforting to hear!

I would agree with the Smartphone App out the window, and go to the cops straight away if anyone is on your (rented) property again.

eladnova wrote: »
    Hey Aisling
    I'm in the Rathgar area and haven't heard of anything similar. Pretty big area though.

Our own bins were moved a few times and it can be disconcerting. Turned out to be the bin company themselves. Wasn't until I was at home one day and happened to be in the kitchen to witness it. Our bin wasn't even out for collection.

This kind of stuff can drive you nuts though if you start to put 2 and 2 together and get 5.

What you could do is get a web cam that will hook up to your wifi. Point it discreetly out the window and just let it record away. I've two of them here after a few break ins and they're great. They sell them in PC world.

Until you know exactly whats going on, you'll probably drive yourself nuts guessing.
    Also, take photos and date stuff if this happens in the future. It's no harm to have a record.

BTW you mentioned you have flat mates. Is it possible this was one of their friends or partners ?

Hi,

Thanks so much, that's comforting to know that your bins were moved aswell, maybe I can at least dis count that from the weird things happening. We've asked and it wasn't any friends or partners who did it :(

I'm hoping the flowers thing was a once-off (maybe an un-funny prank by someone) but I will definitely be checking PC World for one of those webcams, really handy to know so thanks a million again! Will also be recording dates and actually took a photo of the flowers before I went to the guards so at least I have that.

Well that's comforting to hear!

I would agree with the Smartphone App out the window, and go to the cops straight away if anyone is on your (rented) property again.

Thanks, will do

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭me0w

strange neighbour across the road who (according to the Guards) suffers from mental illness and sits at home all day - they suggested he may be infatuated with one of us and could have put the flowers there (not a comforting thought).
    I'd be so creeped out by that... Definitely try to get video evidence in case it happens again (I hope it doesnt!)

me0w wrote: »
    I'd be so creeped out by that... Definitely try to get video evidence in case it happens again (I hope it doesnt!)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds it really creepy - not a nice experience at all, that show 'the Fall' keeps coming to mind, note to self: never watch scary psychopath series again!

Thanks though, definitely going to go the video route in case it happens again (I also devoutly hope it doesn't!!)

me0w wrote: »

This is a good one. I bought it for my old man and he loves it.
    Samsung SNH-E6411BN

https://www.samsungsmartcam.com/web/

You'll need a broadband (preferably wifi) and then a micro SD card to record to.
    I think they're about 150 Euro in PC world and they're full HD.
    They've a little stand so you can prop it on your fridge etc and point it out the window. If you do have a WIFI signal then it only needs it's tiny power supply to power it.

Moving upwards (expense and features) from the above this is the one I use
    Samsung SNH-P6410BN
    https://www.samsungsmartcam.com/web/
    Slightly more expensive.

Both give you a free App and send you alerts etc.
    I found that although they both have great night-time vision, you can't point them out your window and expect to catch your wierdo. They have a little Infra-Red light which reflects against the glass and makes them useless. The alternative is to get a dedicated outdoor model but then you're into wiring, landlords permission etc.

Anyways, if you've any Qs feel free to PM me. It's turned into a hobby of mine after our estate was burgled several times and the wife was rightly nervous about leaving the place empty. OK, it helps that I can be in the pub with a mate and keep an eye on the place too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭TheNobleKipper

That would really creep me out, but I had someone stalking me for a while until I "disappeared of the radar", so I know the uncomfortable feeling that comes with it (nonstop really). I think the smartphone suggestion is a good one, but it might also be worth asking neighbours to keep an eye on the area (I am sure nobody will be thrilled knowing that strangers were rummaging around in your garden. Also, consider varying your routines, e.g. times you go to the gym or so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I appreciate you're worried, but the guards had no right to make allegations about the guy across the road with mental illness. As if there isn't enough of a stigma already. If he watches all day, he may have seen who did it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Housemate messing with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Drunks messing with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I wouldn't class this as scary op. No offence but I think it's all in your head! If you're paranoid enough setup the cctv

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

spurious wrote: »
    I appreciate you're worried, but the guards had no right to make allegations about the guy across the road with mental illness. As if there isn't enough of a stigma already. If he watches all day, he may have seen who did it.

The guards only suggested that as I told them he has already made numerous comments such as when he saw me putting suitcases in the boot last month: "Don't think I can see you packing your car, I know your house is going to be empty" etc, and also staring at us through a gap in the hedge...the list goes on.

eladnova wrote: »
    This is a good one. I bought it for my old man and he loves it.
    Samsung SNH-E6411BN

You'll need a broadband (preferably wifi) and then a micro SD card to record to.
    I think they're about 150 Euro in PC world and they're full HD.
    They've a little stand so you can prop it on your fridge etc and point it out the window. If you do have a WIFI signal then it only needs it's tiny power supply to power it.

Moving upwards (expense and features) from the above this is the one I use
    Samsung SNH-P6410BN

Slightly more expensive.

Both give you a free App and send you alerts etc.
    I found that although they both have great night-time vision, you can't point them out your window and expect to catch your wierdo. They have a little Infra-Red light which reflects against the glass and makes them useless. The alternative is to get a dedicated outdoor model but then you're into wiring, landlords permission etc.

Anyways, if you've any Qs feel free to PM me. It's turned into a hobby of mine after our estate was burgled several times and the wife was rightly nervous about leaving the place empty. OK, it helps that I can be in the pub with a mate and keep an eye on the place too :)

That info is great, I'll look into them and get one over the weekend. Might PM you once I've made a purchase if that's ok as I'm sure I'll have a few questions then! Thanks a mill :)

I wouldn't class this as scary op. No offence but I think it's all in your head! If you're paranoid enough setup the cctv

As you see in my response to Spurious, we have had a number of other incidents over the past few months, leading to the overall nervousness. It's not solely based on the other night.

(I am sure nobody will be thrilled knowing that strangers were rummaging around in your garden. Also, consider varying your routines, e.g. times you go to the gym or so.

Good advice. If the original poster does feel that her bins had been disturbed and the guy has been around, it might be worth being careful about the type of personal info goes into the bin.

Identity theft is one thing but if the guy has an unhealthy interest then you really don't want him knowing your name, where you work etc etc.

Not trying to raise anxiety levels at all. The guy is most likely harmless (if it's even him) but it's no harm to be extra cautious for a bit with the personal details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

I often see on a daily basis a certain type of person that rummages through bins and never ever seem to put the bin back in its original position. Could be one of them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Op, have you contacted the FBI? Their behavioral analysis unit might be able to crack the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I often see on a daily basis a certain type of person that rummages through bins and never ever seem to put the bin back in its original position. Could be one of them

Art students doing their found object project ? Poor little 1st years,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Where in D6 op?

• Advertisement

I had a thought about your bins yesterday when I noticed my bins had been moved when I came home; the guy had come to read the gas meter and had had to move the bins out of the way. Could yours be the same, OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

kylith wrote: »
    I had a thought about your bins yesterday

Don't you be thinking about OP's bins! You're part of the problem!!

Don't you be thinking about OP's bins! You're part of the problem!!

I can't stop thinking about the OP's bins!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

The flowers are freaky, the bins not so much. I live in an apartment block and there are large communal bins but they seem to travel around the car park constantly as the bin collectors put them back in different places all the time.

The flower are a bit weird but could be someone messing. If nothing else off happens you could forget about it. If it does - CCTV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I hope the app thing works out for you.

I think it's really strange and ott you rang the guards. And they actually came around.

Are you from Dublin/D6 all your life???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Are the bins beside your electricity or gas meter? My bins are moved every so often when the meter is checked but never put back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement