Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a good stock

Options
  • 08-09-2015 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I make my own chicken stock from time to time and freeze it, but i like to have dry stock on hand. Can anyone recommend a good quality stock? I've been using Marilgold veg stock, which i like but it's the only flavour i can find, i like to have fish/chicken/beef on hand too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I use Kallo chicken stock cubes and they're good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Knorr Chicken/Rich beef stock pot. Bar homemade, I've yet to try any other stock better than these.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I use Kallo chicken stock cubes and they're good.

Where do you buy these?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Knorr Chicken/Rich beef stock pot. Bar homemade, I've yet to try any other stock better than these.

I've never been much of a fan of Knorr, I think it puts me off the way it stains my measuring jug, whereas the Marigold doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

rawn wrote: »
    Where do you buy these?

I've bought them in Tesco and Dunnes in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd second the recommendations for the Knor stock pots. I was very sceptical at first, thinking it was just a way of spending more money than on cubes but they really are very good.

I've done some very plain soups like leek and potato and you wouldn't know that it wasn't homemade stock. Like all bought stocks, they are a bit salty, though so you have to watch your seasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭RJohnG

Mrs Fox wrote: »

That's the one. The Chinese takeaway's secret ingredient.

Advertisement