Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiber broadband....what a farce

Options
  • 08-09-2015 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Eircom fiber broadband map of availability is a joke...... The map has huge ares in the country showing "Fiber broadband available in your area" COMPLETELY FALSE ...... I know the small print says may not be available to all lines but why say it is available when it is not????
    Are these maps for Government "spin" or is Eircom just trying to make themselves feel good???
    Mack
    Co.Roscommon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

lgmack wrote: »
    Eircom fiber broadband map of availability is a joke...... The map has huge ares in the country showing "Fiber broadband available in your area" COMPLETELY FALSE ...... I know the small print says may not be available to all lines but why say it is available when it is not????
    Are these maps for Government "spin" or is Eircom just trying to make themselves feel good???
    Mack
    Co.Roscommon
    Hi lgmack

There is quite a large message located directly above the map advising the following :

Please note: this map is for illustrative purposes only and not all homes within the eFibre area can avail of the service. To determine if eFibre is available at your home, please enter your home phone number or address into our interactive tool.

This is clearly visible and intended to help prevent any misdirection happening.

The reason it says it's available in your area is self evident - the emphasis being on in your area - and as you said above it may not be available to all lines.

The map is not government spin, I would like to clarify that eircom is not a government owned company nor a state or semi state body.

The coverage of efibre reaches up to 2000 metres from VDSL cabinets unlike regular broadband where coverage goes in all directions from the exchange. The speed deteriorates over distance and the cut off point is 2KMRather unlike regular broadband where it's available to lines served by an exchange, the roll out of efibre is not based on the upgrade of a particular exchange.

Again, eFibre is based on the commissioning and activation of fibre (VDSL) cabinets to specific locations and for visual representation of these cabinets follow the below link and click on "NGA fibre broadband network" and use the right hand side option box to narrow your search :

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/

I understand the colour coding may create confusion but I hope I have been able to clarify this for you

Al

Advertisement