Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using ATM card abroad

Options
  • 08-09-2015 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi I'm abroad in France studying for the year. I tried to use my ATM card today and it wouldn't work. My friends said they contacted their banks before they left. So I was wondering if I had to contact my branch to let them know that I'm abroad. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Hi I'm abroad in France studying for the year. I tried to use my ATM card today and it wouldn't work. My friends said they contacted their banks before they left. So I was wondering if I had to contact my branch to let them know that I'm abroad. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Hi rorygormally, 

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards. 

Yes we would advise you to contact us prior to travelling abroad to ensure the continued use of your debit card while abroad. You can advise us of your travel notice on 365 Online by selecting the Online Service Desk and then choose the Ask a Question option, a representative with account access will then make a note of this on your account. 
    Alternatively, you can call Bank of Ireland Direct on +3531 4044000 and a representative will make a note of your travel dates on your account. Our representatives are available on this number 8am to midnight Monday to Friday and 9am to 6pm on weekends. 

When abroad, please note that there are lower daily ATM limits and this can be €500 when in Europe using a chip and PIN ATM, however some banks may set their own limit. Once you reach this daily ATM limit, your Visa Debit card will still work at a point of sale in person or online. 

All the best with your studies in France and please let us know if we can help with any other query.  

Thanks,
    Sarah

Advertisement