Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another new pub in Blackrock

Options
  • 08-09-2015 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like another new pub is opening in Blackrock.

The old South 1/Melt n' Pot/Sheehans is currently being gutted and a new pub or possibly restaurant seems to be heading in there (signs outside are for a pub/restaurant fitters).

Any ideas what's going in?

If it's a pub, it's definitely a brave/mad move with Wetherspoons across the road and a further 6 pubs in very close proximity...

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Place is overloaded with pubs....restaurant would do better I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Grid. wrote: »
    Place is overloaded with pubs....restaurant would do better I'd imagine.

Most pubs that have survived have become restaurant/pubs. Just look at the Queens in Dalkey. It's more of restaurant now

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

ted1 wrote: »
    Most pubs that have survived have become restaurant/pubs. Just look at the Queens in Dalkey. It's more of restaurant now

Aye.....don't know how they survive in Dalkey either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Apparently it's going to be a Counter Burger!

Word from a very reliable source, although not 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 wahesh32

The building is being renovated, and there's a large sign on the outside that claims that 'The Counter' is coming soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Yup, walk past in every day and the Counter Burger announcement looks authentic.

Good luck to them, would have been mad to try at another pub there given hoor everything seems to fail in that spot.

Very odd seeing as Counter Burger are owned by Eddie Rockets who obviously have an outlet a few hundred feet away.

Very odd seeing as Counter Burger are owned by Eddie Rockets who obviously have an outlet a few hundred feet away.
    Are you sure of that ? There a murky national brand.

Are you sure of that ? There a murky national brand.

Yeah, a subsidiary of Eddie Rockets is 'Custom Burger' Limited, who are the owners of Counter Burger.

Briefly referenced here;

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/eddie-rockets-flips-50m-annual-turnover-30804351.html

Yeah, a subsidiary of Eddie Rockets is 'Custom Burger' Limited, who are the owners of Counter Burger.

Briefly referenced here;

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/eddie-rockets-flips-50m-annual-turnover-30804351.html
    The own the franchise as oppose to the group, either way it's a different product than Eddie Rockets.

• Advertisement

The own the franchise as oppose to the group, either way it's a different product than Eddie Rockets.

Yes that's what I meant. Counter Burger is American if I remember correctly, but the franchise in Ireland isheld by the Eddie Rockets group.

Either way, opening it not that far away from an Eddie Rockets is a strange move in a sleepy enough area of Dublin.

It'll still pull in good business I'm sure, but it's a direct competitor to Eddies as the 'going for a burger' crowd will choose one over the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Does eddie rockets do quite well? If so perhaps its pre-empting a rival setting up and possibly having discounts and a price war.

I heard the 2 chinese takeaways in ballybrack village are owned by the same people. Its right across the road from the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

This place ain't happening now. It's fallen through. Saw a sign for Harry's something or other this morn driving past.

This place ain't happening now. It's fallen through. Saw a sign for Harry's something or other this morn driving past.

Flash Harrys. Owned by the same guy who owns the franchise to the Counter. A weird one alright!

Flash Harrys. Owned by the same guy who owns the franchise to the Counter. A weird one alright!

Is it a chain or what? Never heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Is it a chain or what? Never heard of it.

When I was a kid, the chap that set up Eddie Rocket's originally had a restaurant in Blackrock called Flash Harry's.

Maybe he's gone back to using the name he already owns rather than paying Counter Burger franchising fees?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Ah, Flash Harrys....
    Used to go there after closing time. Place was always packed. Good kebabs. Great memories.
    Glass window went in a few times though.
    Late '80's.

mailforkev wrote: »
    When I was a kid, the chap that set up Eddie Rocket's originally had a restaurant in Blackrock called Flash Harry's.

Maybe he's gone back to using the name he already owns rather than paying Counter Burger franchising fees?

I think he's reverted to opening a pub instead of a restaurant so he went back to the Flash Harry's name.

Jesus, Blackrock doesn't need another Pub.

Jesus, Blackrock doesn't need another Pub.

True that. Sure O'Donoghues just closed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Someone should tell them that a week after opening it's time to put up a menu and some content on their website .... http://www.flashharrys.ie/

Edit: found it here.... https://www.facebook.com/download/456399117818277/Flash%20Harry_s%20-%20Menu.pdf

Clearly they got Dan Quayle to proofread it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

True that. Sure O'Donoghues just closed!

That's sad. Always my favourite little pub when I went to Blackrock. Nice drinks and friendly staff and customers.

I wanted to go in on Christmas Eve but feared the worst when I looked in the window!

Have been in Flash Harry's 3 times since opening and found the food great for a burger joint.

Rumour is that the Counter franchise was pulled on that site because the American group saw the opening hours and didn't want a Counter 'pub' as it stays open pub hours and would naturally morph into a pub after food serving hours.

Nice spot though although the service needs a bit of fine tuning.

I heard this place does decent cocktails, can anyone confirm?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Aegir wrote: »
    I heard this place does decent cocktails, can anyone confirm?

A while since I was there but yep they were pretty good

Depends what you define as/want from a cocktail. It's not the Vintage Cocktail Club for sure.

Depends what you define as/want from a cocktail. It's not the Vintage Cocktail Club for sure.

any suggestions on where might be?

Aegir wrote: »
    any suggestions on where might be?

Huh?

• Advertisement

somewhere good for cocktails

Anyone tried Kelly and Cooper?

Advertisement