Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much does a homebirth cost in Galway

Options
  • 08-09-2015 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi, I am interested in homebirth, I'd go public ( at the moment my insurance wont cover, so I can't do private)
    I read somewhere that you need atleast two midwives during homebirth, is that correct?
    And the hse covers the cost of one midwife, does it mean the other one has to be paid by us?

So in all, how does the cost work out? How much did you pay for your homebirth ( those who had public)

Thanks

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Firstly, you are based in Galway, which dont have a home birth service for public patients. So either you'll need to go private, and employ a self employed community midwife, or move to an area that do home births (currently there are 3 - Dublin, Wexford and Waterford)

So really, your only likely option is to pay privately for the service - in which case you should contact one of the 4 SECM practicing in Galway for further information.

I cant find information at the moment, but I seem to recall an issue whereby there were less and less midwives offering home births due to an issue with Professional Indemnity Insurance. I think that the HSE used to cover PI insurance for community midwives, but now they have to source their own, and a lot of insurers wont provide cover. ETA: This is the thread discussing a court case that made me aware of it. This is another thread discussing it: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85787251.

So the best way to find out is to ring a local community midwife from the link above. They can give you the best up to date information.

This is the HSE information on homebirths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/3/maternity/homebirth.html

The hse website has loads of info on home births.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Mac0783

Hi,

I know nothing about home births but a friend of mine had one in Athlone, she would have been attached to Portiuncla Hospital, Ballinasloe so maybe there is a way to do it? I don't think she would have spent a huge amount of money on it either...

Sorry I don't know if that's much help.

Advertisement