Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I know?

Options
  • 08-09-2015 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

My son who is 2yr 10mnts started playschool recently. Today was his second week. The teacher had a word with me after class and said that my son was displaying some odd behaviors. Firstly, she said he doesn't make much eye contact, when he comes into playschool he empties every box full of toys and gets bored and then moves on. She said he has a short attention span. Also she said he doesn't listen to here and doesn't look up when she is talking. That he doesn't play with the other children but instead by alongside them. He screams if a child goes to play with the toy he is playing with instead of speaking he will scream. At storytime he doesn't join in but plays by himself.

I am a bit shocked. He is my only child and yes I was aware his speech is delayed but had thought that was normal because he is bi lingual. He can't stay any sentences just some words. I contacted my health nurse and she said that in a couple of weeks if this doesn't improve should would like to see him and refer him to speech therapy and for assessments.

The playschool is not sure they can keep him if his behavior doesn't improve.

What is going on with my son? Is this normal for a toddler?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Op it's possible for is to tell you if it's typical or not. When my fella started crèche at 2 the owner did point out some things he was and wasn't doing which were different to the other kids. He was diagnosed with autism but I've heard of other kids displaying similar behaviours who weren't.

I wouldn't wait for the phn. Download the assessment of need form and send it into the health centre yourself. They will do a full review of his needs and that's a very good thing.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/4/disability/Disability_Assessment/
    http://www.autismireland.ie/assets/files/downloads/assessment-of-need-application-form.pdf

Next thing is get his ears tested so you can know for sure that this is / isn't causing a problem.

If there is something at least you are latching into it while he's very young. I think they automatically refer you to a speech therapist which can something delay assessment of other communication issues. Take control of this from day 1 and get those forms in to get the ball rolling.

Advertisement