Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of ESB Networks fitting pulse output tails on a meter

Options
  • 08-09-2015 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭

I gather they will come and fit a tail on each phase and terminate the pulse output tails in a preinstalled junction box that is adjacent to the meter.

Any thoughts on the cost and how long it would take.
    Thanks

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 21 emtulsk

I dont know if you mean "Pulse Outputs" as in a night storage signal or a kWh measurement pulse (i.e. 1 pulse per kWh or a signal of that type).

For night storage your 2 x 1.5 browns are terminated directly to the meter usually and you can put a max. of 80mA on this wire. This may be terminated to a junction box, but must be kept to the bottom right hand side of the meter cabinet as it would be classed as your equipment. I would check this with your local office though as it's a grey area in the rules, nothing says you can't but nothing says you can, can't see it being a problem though as long as the junction box was weatherproof.

As for usage pulses, unless you have a CT meter or a Max Import meter your meter won't even have the connections required, and even if you have one of them meters it's not a normal connection that ESB would supply to the customer, they aren't required to provide usage signals, only the night storage signals.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

emtulsk wrote: »
    I dont know if you mean "Pulse Outputs" as in a night storage signal or a kWh measurement pulse (i.e. 1 pulse per kWh or a signal of that type).

For night storage your 2 x 1.5 browns are terminated directly to the meter usually and you can put a max. of 80mA on this wire. This may be terminated to a junction box, but must be kept to the bottom right hand side of the meter cabinet as it would be classed as your equipment. I would check this with your local office though as it's a grey area in the rules, nothing says you can't but nothing says you can, can't see it being a problem though as long as the junction box was weatherproof.

As for usage pulses, unless you have a CT meter or a Max Import meter your meter won't even have the connections required, and even if you have one of them meters it's not a normal connection that ESB would supply to the customer, they aren't required to provide usage signals, only the night storage signals.

Hope this helps
    Much obliged:
    its an industrial setup, using c 2GWh per annum.
    Don't know what the meter type is:
    MRSO data is available.
    Yes its pulse per kWh I need: the argument being made is that these three tails, with pulse output, will be cheaper than a basic meter with 3 CT's which would cost c 100 euro, with a modbus output.
    I can't see ESB turning up for less than that?
    Thanks again

Your burning through it alright!

Best advice I can give you is to get your own meter, ESB charge for this sort of work is usually €163 for a re-wire, or €194 for a meter exchange. But I'd say you'll be quoted for this work as it's a Max. Import and standard charges probably won't be applicable.

I'm afraid I have no more information for you but if you call ESB on 1850-372757 someone will be able to get you sorted.

Sorry I can't be of any more use!

Tried to edit my last post but it won't let me.

Just after I posted I noticed the charges, literally as I clicked reply!

If you already have an MFM meter, to get signals fitted is €140+vat, If you don't, you need to get it exchanged for one, which is €455+vat (Includes the fitting of signals).

If you need any more info PM me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

emtulsk wrote: »
    Tried to edit my last post but it won't let me.

Just after I posted I noticed the charges, literally as I clicked reply!

If you already have an MFM meter, to get signals fitted is €140+vat, If you don't, you need to get it exchanged for one, which is €455+vat (Includes the fitting of signals).

If you need any more info PM me. :)
    Much obliged.
    I di call esb networks and as I don't have client consent for this, they suggested I ask client to do that so I wrote the email, including MPRN umber and asked two of my client to email them, the other guy gets through 6 Gwh pa so my guess is that they both are MFM meters as they both have the MRSO data outputs.

What identifies the the MFM meter as being one so as I can ask client to go look astray are 300km away round trip?

• Advertisement
Advertisement