Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaving cert history vs home ec

• 08-09-2015 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey 😊 I'm trying to pick my leaving cert subjects and I'm stuck (again) between History and Home ec. In junior cert history was my favourite subject and home ec definatly wasn't but in LC history there's a lot of essays and the teacher was talking about how it was linked with English. I didn't do very well in my opinion in English of junior cert, I got a C at HL and I was getting C's all through the 3 years. I got a b in history for junior cert and a b in home ec. I find the history really interesting it just the work load that's worrying me. And along with that home ec is a bit more straight forward, i find it interesting too but not as much history.im also doing biology and I know it over laps a lot. At the moment I don't qualify for LCVP and I'm doing OL Irish and I feel I need the points.
    At the end of the day I don't even know what I want to do after school and all I want now is to be in subjects that will open more doors when I decide. So I need to pick the subject I'm most likely to get more points in.
    So if you have any advise it would help sooooo much? 😊

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mdudy

I don't know anything about Home Ec at Leaving Cert, but History is an enjoyable subject if you're interested in it. However, it can become boring if you just stick to the textbook, but if you find different resources online and add these into your essays you'll both enjoy and remember them better.

There is a big workload, you'll do three topics and if you want to do well you'll need to learn off about 10 essays per topic. It sounds daunting but find a way to learn them off that suits you, and stick with it, so come June you'll just be revising them and not learning them off.

There is also a documents based question to answer in the exam, this an easy part of the exam dependant that you study well for it.

As well, there is a research project which accounts for 20% of your grade. This is done in school before your exam, so takes some of the pressure off in so much as you should already have 20%!

And history is a pretty good subject to study if you don't know what you want to do after school. It does no harm to know what happened before you were here; it gives you a good grounding and appreciation for peoples' sacrifices.

Advertisement