Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6 month old Lab seems to have lost her appetite but will eat from hand

• 08-09-2015 11:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭

She is completely lively and doesn't seem one bit ill, but today for example she only ate half of her food this morning at about 8am and wouldn't eat anything all day.

At about 8pm I gave her food in her Kong and she gave it a few licks and that's it. Some food fell out and she ignored it. I gave some by hand and she ate no problem.

She's been like this the past 3 days but only today I tried hand feeding her (which I will not be making a habit of). She's only eaten about one third of her usual food intake each day.

Anything to be worried about yet? Like I said she is full of energy on walks etc. but it's obviously not good if she isn't eating properly.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Is it possible she's coming into heat and feeling a bit off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Stheno wrote: »
    Is it possible she's coming into heat and feeling a bit off?

Hopefully that's all it is. To be honest I didn't know they could go into heat as young as that. I haven't noticed any signs yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Pac2015

Hopefully that's all it is. To be honest I didn't know they could go into heat as young as that. I haven't noticed any signs yet though.

She is a bit young to go into heat usually it can be around 9 months, here is site have a read it gives some good tips some people are saying Labs are fussy eater so it could be that.
    I have a retreiver and she will from time to time not eat from her bowl so I just leave it there and dont give her anything else then she will eat it or will eat the next day.

http://www.housebeautiful.com/lifestyle/kids-pets/q-and-a/a24/dog-shrink-mealtimes-0407/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

She could be teething which would make eating dry food sore so you could maybe soak it and see if she's interested? My retriever girl didn't go into heat until 13 months but they can go as early as 5 or 6 months. I keep an eye on her and wouldn't just dismiss it as her getting fussy - she may have eaten something that's upsetting her tummy or worse case scenario causing a blockage. It's been 3 days now so I don't think I'd wait much longer to go to the vet if it was one of mine - better safe than sorry.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

If she's in good form, pooping, peeing and drinking, then it's unlikely to be anything life-threatening.
    I also doubt most Lab owners would agree that Labs can be fussy eaters! On the contrary, they're well known for having no off switch when it comes to grubbing! Of course there will be exceptions, but as a rule they've the reputation for being great grubbers.
    What do you feed her OP?

• Advertisement
Advertisement