Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soft Water!

• 08-09-2015 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi all
    I've just spent the evening changing out the element in my Rancilio Silvia. It's only a year old but apparently they are noticing problems with the newly designed bolt on elements. Hopefully the new and improved bolt on will last longer than the original!
    Anyway, after much cursing and skinning of knuckles, the old , very limescaled element was pulled, and I realised I need to either descale more or use a softer bottled water.
    I'm lazy by nature so I'm opting for the latter!
    Do you coffee gurus recommend any particular low calcium bottled water I can rely on?
    P.S. Bar the breakdown I totally love the coffee the Silvia produces and would still highly recommend it. Can't wait for the early morning extraction!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Broadsider wrote: »
    Hi all
    I've just spent the evening changing out the element in my Rancilio Silvia. It's only a year old but apparently they are noticing problems with the newly designed bolt on elements. Hopefully the new and improved bolt on will last longer than the original!
    Anyway, after much cursing and skinning of knuckles, the old , very limescaled element was pulled, and I realised I need to either descale more or use a softer bottled water.
    I'm lazy by nature so I'm opting for the latter!
    Do you coffee gurus recommend any particular low calcium bottled water I can rely on?
    P.S. Bar the breakdown I totally love the coffee the Silvia produces and would still highly recommend it. Can't wait for the early morning extraction!

Would a filter in the water tank not be an option?
    Regular descaling is of course the best option. If you know anyone with a sandblaster you can remove the scale from the element on boiler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Wouldn't a drop of vinegar run through the machine every so often help to prevent limescale buildup?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Broadsider

Thanks for the posts
    I'm not anti - descaling, just would like to cut down on the amount of descaling needed.
    Prevention better than cure and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

I don't know if makes any difference, but I fill my coffee machine with a Brita jug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

keith_d99 wrote: »
    I don't know if makes any difference, but I fill my coffee machine with a Brita jug

I use a Brita also on my Silvia. It doesn't remove all minerals but it does enough to reduce the effect of lime scale.

Quote from the Brita Website
    Does the BRITA water filter cartridge remove all minerals from drinking water?

The BRITA water filter cartridge only partially removes the hardness from drinking water. This part is temporary hardness, which causes scale deposits during cooking. It does not remove all of the minerals from the water. It reduces the concentration of calcium and magnesium with cation ion exchange resins, but theses substances are not completely removed as in desalination systems or industrial plants that use reverse osmosis or distillation processes, for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Broadsider

Thanks for that, I assumed you'd need to heat water to remove lime scale. Sounds like brita is the way to go ...

Advertisement