Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bolting in a safe

Options
  • 09-09-2015 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

When fitting a safe do people remove the plaster board from the wall and bolt the safe directly to the block work.

I assume if you didn't then the bad guys have more leverage to pull in off the wall.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

PSXDupe wrote: »
    When fitting a safe do people remove the plaster board from the wall and bolt the safe directly to the block work.

I assume if you didn't then the bad guys have more leverage to pull in off the wall.

I wouldn't. Just get some blue bolts and fasten the safe to the wall and floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭tomtucker81

Similarly, i didnt remove any plaster. I used anchor bolts, the back wall and side wall of safe that are in against the solid wall are all bolted in.

Use a good drill and good size bolt and it'll do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

I also run a good bead of silicone along the top of the safe and down the side, where the safe touches the wall.

This makes it more difficult to try to insert a prybar or crowbar behind the safe to try to lever it out.

Everything that slows them down help.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

And if you can determine whether the wall is just a 4 inch block on its edge, or a 6 inch one, go with the 6 inch and a longer rawl bolt. Usually downstairs will have a 6 inch block wall supporting the centre of the upstairs floor joists.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭PSXDupe

Thanks guys for all the advice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Jayzesake

If possible, it's also not a bad idea to put the safe in a corner, and rawlbolt it to both the 2 walls, as well as the floor. You may have to drill a few extra holes in one of the side walls of the safe to allow this.

And then be sure to position the safe in such a way that the hinges of the door are away from the wall, making access to the opening side of the door with a crowbar more difficult.

Have mine fitted like this, inside a fitted wardrobe. I cut a piece out of the side and back of the wardrobe so the safe is against the block wall. Only downside is that it therefore cannot be bolted to the floor, as the press bottom is raised up three inches from the floor. I drilled four or so extra holes in the safe for extra bolts, as there were none in the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

Are concrete floor slabs in Ireland post tensioned?
    If they are, be careful not to drill through a cable, it'll destroy the foundation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Drilling through rebar in a hollow core floor won't make a bit of difference. I've 9" holes drilled in mine where the heat recovery pipes pass from 1st to ground floor and he house is still standing so I doubt a couple of mm raw bolt will do any harm.

harmoniums wrote: »
    If they are, be careful not to drill through a cable, it'll destroy the foundation.

Post tensioning ( I had to Google it) is not used in house construction in Ireland, to my knowledge. Usually strip foundations, or in marshey areas a raft foundation. Prestressed slabs are often used for upstairs floors, with a screed laid on top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

harmoniums wrote: »

Post tensioning is usually reserved for bridge deck construction to stop it from sagging once the construction supports are removed. Pre-stressed hollow core is used on the first floor and if the cable is drilled through the rest of the bond between the concrete and the steel will not be affected.

I bolted my safe to the floor and the wall with 80 rawl bolts. id like to see them get that off the wall.....then again if a gun or knife is pointed at me I would prob just open it for them, but thats a different story

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Will the local Garda who deals with the licensing call out to inspect the installation of the safe prior to a license being issued

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

You have to have the safe in before you even apply for the licence to be in compliance with the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Sorry should have explained. I visited my gun dealer and picked the rifle I wanted. Paid a deposit and filled in all the licensing paperwork with him. Before I left the shop he gave me the safe to take with me that day as he reckoned the licensing Garda might call to see it installed before he puts the paperwork through. So it's bolted to the wall at home.

Advertisement