Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2015 Intake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jackrabbit09

Congrats CD. October intake I take it? Will be good putting a face to a name!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Catdog33

Congrats CD. October intake I take it? Will be good putting a face to a name!

Yeah its all a bit sudden and totally didn't expect it to be a job offer when I answered the phone (assumed ppi lol!)

I've a fair bit to catch up on now!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

Wow congrats Catdog! Are you in October intake? Look forward to meeting ya!

.S. wrote: »
    Wow congrats Catdog! Are you in October intake? Look forward to meeting ya!

I am indeed! Hasn't sunk in though! I'm feeling a wee bit lost!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Ruffle

I'm not at all organised yet, hoping the induction weekend will give me a realistic list Of things I need to buy. Also - what are all you ladies wearing to the induction weekend? I don't want to have to go out and buy something just for that, I wear a uniform in work so I've little in the way of business wear

• Advertisement

Ruffle wrote: »
    I'm not at all organised yet, hoping the induction weekend will give me a realistic list Of things I need to buy. Also - what are all you ladies wearing to the induction weekend? I don't want to have to go out and buy something just for that, I wear a uniform in work so I've little in the way of business wear

I have a suit or two from interviews, not expensive but the one that fits best is navy with a small pinstripe. Wonder would that be acceptable?

You and me both Catdog, I'm also hoping induction will help me prepare! I got a trouser suit / couple new blouses/shirts at the weekend so just wearing that, think it's best to aim for smart / business wear

I remember during last campaign some were saying that they had to bring a laptop/ tablet. Is that still the case? My
    Laptop is ancient and got it back when I started Uni! I have an iPad but it's not fresh anymore either, being about 3 years old. So I'd like to go in with something that works if it's required!

I remember that being said too. I had to get a new laptop there as my old one died, but it's something to ask at induction. Only just seen your other post, interview / pinstripe suit sounds grand to me =)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 j3llybean

Congrats Catdog!!!! And thanks for bringing back the sicky feeling for me! just kidding, so pleased for you, and hopeful for myself as we did PCA together I think x

• Advertisement

I've been in a depressed state the last 2 weeks and have done no physical activity and literally eaten like a pig! So now I have to kick myself up the ass and get back at it!!! Eek!

Does anyone have a fairly accurate list of what we actually need to get for the stay? Do we really need a laptop?? I will have to purchase a new one as too as mine is at deaths door

• Registered Users Posts: 43 j3llybean

Catdog33 wrote: »
    I've been in a depressed state the last 2 weeks and have done no physical activity and literally eaten like a pig! So now I have to kick myself up the ass and get back at it!!! Eek!

Snap! Do you think someone maybe didn't take their spot and that's why you got call, just can't understand why they would give you so little notice x

j3llybean wrote: »
    Snap! Do you think someone maybe didn't take their spot and that's why you got call, just can't understand why they would give you so little notice x

Yeah I reckon so. Either that or the intake was made bigger, don't know. I could have deferred but I didn't want to take the risk of waiting another month just in case they pull the plug or something lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭KevBo2015

Well done on getting the call!! Look forward to meeting you all, by then we'll be the senior squad, scary stuff haha the time flies.

I would say a laptop would be useful but it's not a MUST. I have one and rarely use it, access to wifi is business only so all you'll do is look at online learning haha. So if your current laptop does that then you'll be fine. Some people bring theirs to class andll make notes but it's a minority.

There are area few computer labs so plenty of computers for students, I use them majority of time so I wouldn't run out and buy buy a new laptop. First week you'll not be using it much anyway and if you feel you need one buy the weekend after 1st week.

Any questions feel free to PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭The keyboard warrior

Congrats CD, really pleased for you. I'm sure it's nice not to have the worry hanging over you anymore!

Does anyone know what the status is with the library acquisition list?

Do we have to purchase relevant books ourselves? I assume the police library only has one or two copies of some books?

KevBo2015 wrote: »
    Well done on getting the call!! Look forward to meeting you all, by then we'll be the senior squad, scary stuff haha the time flies.

I would say a laptop would be useful but it's not a MUST. I have one and rarely use it, access to wifi is business only so all you'll do is look at online learning haha. So if your current laptop does that then you'll be fine. Some people bring theirs to class andll make notes but it's a minority.

There are area few computer labs so plenty of computers for students, I use them majority of time so I wouldn't run out and buy buy a new laptop. First week you'll not be using it much anyway and if you feel you need one buy the weekend after 1st week.

Any questions feel free to PM me.

Flip well my laptop takes about 3 hours to even start up so perhaps a new one will be required!

Also, as we have to wear suits this weekend I take it our partners/family member has to wear suit too?

I don't think there's any dress code for guests, I would've assumed smart casual, they're only gunna be there briefly for a tour

Oh, really? I assumed most turned up formally dressed like us

Ok... I've no information at all. So should we travel separately from them then if they are only there for a short time?

• Advertisement

Ok I'm only guessing don't take me at my word lol. Maybe best to be overdressed than underdressed I suppose!

The letter says they leave around 10.30 so yes I'm arranging to drive separately. They get a tour of GV separately from us, think there's a brief talk together then we go our separate ways, we stay the day and they go on home after tour.

Just in case your appointment booklet doesn't arrive until the last minute CD and you're running around trying to get stuff sorted for induction, you need to bring:

- x4 colour passport photographs
    - an original birth certificate
    - proof of national insurance ie. p45/p60
    - identification
    - the confirmation letter which comes with your pack & a few other forms contained within

*sorry, forgot marriage & divorce papers if applicable

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭panini

With regards to the proof of national insurance, will our NI card or payslip do?

Oh know I'm panicking now, I don't think I've anything to wear and no time to go anywhere to pick up something. I may get online tonight and hunt for something with next day delivery.....I'm excited to meet you all, can't wait to get there and get stuck into it all

If you're stuck Next normally does some women's suits which will do the job rightly. * other stores are available!

I was wondering the same thing Panini. I have a recent tax calculation form from HMRC with my national insurance number on it which I was hoping would do the trick - not sure what they will and won't accept?

Oh know I'm panicking now, I don't think I've anything to wear and no time to go anywhere to pick up something. I may get online tonight and hunt for something with next day delivery.....I'm excited to meet you all, can't wait to get there and get stuck into it all

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dementedfairy8

Catdog33 wrote: »
    Guess who just got the call.....

Aaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! This hasn't sunk in yet! Feel so unprepared!

Congrats CD. You were in my PCA. Heard of others getting last minute calls too. See you soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭KevBo2015

Dress code for family isn't strict like yours, my family member dressed smart casual. They leave at 10.30 so you can drive together and they collect you after the induction day or drive separate. Remember to inform security of the car details and names of guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dementedfairy8

KevBo2015 wrote: »
    Dress code for family isn't strict like yours, my family member dressed smart casual. They leave at 10.30 so you can drive together and they collect you after the induction day or drive separate. Remember to inform security of the car details and names of guests.

How strict is our dress code? I dont have matching trousers with jacket.

• Advertisement

Congrats CD. You were in my PCA. Heard of others getting last minute calls too. See you soon.

Awesome! I haven't heard of any others. It will be great to put names to faces :)

Advertisement