Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is crimping RJ45s onto cat5 cable hard to learn

Options
  • 09-09-2015 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭

need to fit some IP CCTv cameras so the RJ45 needs to be added after the Cat 5 passed through the gland:

Any suggestion on brand of crimper please.
    Thanks
    I know they are not cheap but happy to live with that expense.

I can also lay cable with the '45s fitted so is there any walk in place in Dublin that will make up a cable for me?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

need to fit some IP CCTv cameras so the RJ45 needs to be added after the Cat 5 passed through the gland:

Any suggestion on brand of crimper please.
    Thanks
    I know they are not cheap but happy to live with that expense.

I can also lay cable with the '45s fitted so is there any walk in place in Dublin that will make up a cable for me?

Crimping rj45s isn't bad, you should only crimp onto stranded patch cable, not solid cat5 cable. That being said we have all crimped an rj45 onto solid cable and it works fine.

Cheap crimpers are crap, but ok if your doing a handful of crimps per year. You can also buy cheap testers that will check each core for continuity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks, I have a tester so just need a decent brand name and decent fittings: any thoughts on where in Dublin: radionics?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Thanks, I have a tester so just need a decent brand name and decent fittings: any thoughts on where in Dublin: radionics?
    Maplins or a local electrical wholesalers will sell both crimpers and RJ45 plugs.RJ45 glass plugs are only 30 cents each.You will also get all you need from a satalite TV shop too.
    http://www.freetv.ie/rj11-and-rj45-crimping-tool.html
    http://www.freetv.ie/rj45-ethernet-cable-connector-1s.html

Thanks, so would u crimp stranded and have a long patch cable back to the CCTV DVR or would u have "socket" for the patch cable near the camera and other at the DVR, with short patch cables.
    run is about 15 meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Crimping rj45s isn't bad, you should only crimp onto stranded patch cable, not solid cat5 cable. That being said we have all crimped an rj45 onto solid cable and it works fine.

Cheap crimpers are crap, but ok if your doing a handful of crimps per year. You can also buy cheap testers that will check each core for continuity.
    So how are you supposed to terminate a cat5 cable into an rj45 plug?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Very rarely crimp stranded. Nearly always solids.

red sean wrote: »

Your not. Your supposed to use a punch down tool and punch it down into an RJ45 socket. I'm not saying it doesn't work, it does. And if your only doing it every now and then you'll get away with it.

IDC crimps are designed to press into the stranded cable. When you use it with solid cable the crimp won't go all the way home.

Very rarely crimp stranded. Nearly always solids.

are the patch leads one buys usually stranded?

Your not. Your supposed to use a punch down tool and punch it down into an RJ45 socket. I'm not saying it doesn't work, it does. And if your only doing it every now and then you'll get away with it.

IDC crimps are designed to press into the stranded cable. When you use it with solid cable the crimp won't go all the way home.
    I dont get this! Can you link to it please?
    What if the cat5 goes direct to a component where there is no network socket or room for one? Eg a wireless antenna connecting to its power supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

it's better not to but there are different crimps for solid core

dnY8jsW.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

length of Cat5e cable,2 rj45 plugs,prep and make off both ends of the cable,crimp down the plugs,test your lead with a mod tap and BOOM you are done.No need to over think it.

gctest50 wrote: »
    it's better not to but there are different crimps for solid core

dnY8jsW.png

Never knew there was a specific crimp for solid cable, never seen one.

this boy gives it a good run
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnN3HZ5TAEw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

red sean wrote: »

Use punch down or patch panel.

Cerco wrote: »
    Use punch down or patch panel.
    Read post#11 by gctest50.

Advertisement