Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going alone on holiday?

Options
  • 09-09-2015 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, has anyone ever gone alone to holiday?
    I am looking into going to Sweden or Norway to skiing resorts for a holiday but all my friends only like warm and relaxed holidays (I hate warmth and just relaxed beach atmospheres) so nobody of them wants to go.

It feels weird going alone.
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 scrutable

MANY times.

It's not that I don't have friends, it's that my friends either have free time or money, but not both.

Tinder is awesome when you're travelling alone, for the cost of some food and a few drinks you get friendly company, a knowledgeable guide, and maybe more. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

i'm actually think of the same thing.

i'm thinking of going somewhere for a weekend before the new year

i also feel weird about it i also get weird looks when i mention it to people
    this has put me off slightly.

but i really want to go away for a break.

anyone have any suggestions for somewhere to go at the start of December?

i like my comfort so will probably stay in a hotel :pac:

edit: forgot to mention i'm 23 and male

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

dunworth1 wrote: »

If you are worried about the weird looks then simply don't tell anyone you're going away on your own. I do recommend telling your family though, no need to go off the grid.

I love solo trips and do them all the time. Can you give a little more info on what you are looking for?

In December I've been to Barcelona, Rome and Krakow. Personally I thought the first 2 were great for that time of year. Krakow is a really nice city but December was way too cold for my liking.

If you have any other questions just shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

I've started to do it and it's fine. You do get hit with pangs of loneliness now and then but on the plus side it forces you to be more social and talk to the locals, etc.
    And I've realised if you really want to travel and see places, you can't be relying on your friends. You just have to get out there and do it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

i'm actually think of the same thing.

i'm thinking of going somewhere for a weekend before the new year

i like my comfort so will probably stay in a hotel :pac:

edit: forgot to mention i'm 23 and male

Have a look at this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057511440

I was suggested best place to go solo for winter holidays. Ended up booking and now going on 19th of Dec alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

so i did it :eek:

going to Berlin for 4 nights second week of December.

i'm very excited about it.

trying to figure out if i will need to check a bag or will the cabin bag be enough?
    as i want to bring my dslr camera can i bring this separate from my cabin bag onto the plane? flying with aerlingus does anyone know

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Unless you're bringing lots of liquids or lots of clothes, or intend buying loads of stuff while over there, I think you could manage with just your cabin baggage.

Yes you can bring a small bag with your camera separately onto the plane.

Berlin is a great city, especially for photography. Some great galleries and museums.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

so i did it :eek:

going to Berlin for 4 nights second week of December.

Berlin is a top notch choice for your first solo trip. It's a city with something to interest every type of tourist. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Teacher23

Berlin is amazing, you'll love it! ☺️ enjoy ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Good choice, assuming you are from Limerick too it is very convenient and cheap to fly from Shannon to Berlin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement