Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equipment and Classes for Beginner Dublin, Midlands or Limerick

• 09-09-2015 9:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭

So I did a bit of Kayaking in college but the clubs focus was mainly rapids where as I was more into going on long paddles and exploring rivers and bays. I recently got bitten by the bug again on holidays after going kayaking on a lake. So my main question is where is a good place to buy equipment and is their any good classes for beginners in Dublin, Midlands or Limerick that I can go to on the weekends that are more focused on teaching the areas I'm interested in.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

For classes/tours ya might want to check out http://www.kayaking.ie/ I've heard good things but no experience first hand.

For gear check out:
    http://www.i-canoe.com/
    http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/

Both of these are Dublin based. Personally I'd recommend icanoe, fully dedicated shop. I believe both shops give discount to current members of Irish kayak clubs so if you have a lot of gear to buy it might be better to join one of those first.

Good sticky thread here for much more info http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055822668

To be honest I'd recommend the club route, learn to stay safe and get buddies to head out with plus on official trips you get to use their equipment. Kayaking can get very expensive starting out so it's best if you have access to gear during the summer and then if you plan on sticking with it over the winter you can invest in gear to keep you warm and dry. My club run fortnightly trips for beginners on flat water. Their courses run early in the year for new members that get you a level 2 certification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭nastros

Cheers for the info to be honest its actually a group of us that are looking to take part in this. I know what your saying about clubs as I am a member of a few other outdoor clubs myself and I know they give great training etc. But both myself and the group are heavily involved in a lot of other clubs and this is more a just for us type of idea. Our plan really is to take courses and learn the ins and outs but at the same cant commit to what a club would in tail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

I hear ya but I thought it was the best practical advice to give. Anyway, kayaking.ie might just be for you and I'd imagine there's plenty more options more towards the west if it makes it easier. Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭nastros

dudeeile wrote: »
    I hear ya but I thought it was the best practical advice to give. Anyway, kayaking.ie might just be for you and I'd imagine there's plenty more options more towards the west if it makes it easier. Best of luck.

Appreciate thanks will take a look at them

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭briansun

If it's personalised lessons the best crowd out there is The Kayaking Company -kayakco.com . The lads are great craic and cover everything , flatwater,freestyle, riverruns and even alps adventures. If you have your level 2 cert from your paddling days and want to go the club route there's Limerick Kayak Club who run rivers trips & training sessions weekly, Nenagh kayak club and University of Limerick Kayak Club. All the clubs have Facebook or websites with conacts and requirements. Canoeing Ireland has a list of all the clubs around Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement