Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fringe Festival recommendations

Options
  • 09-09-2015 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭

Thought it might be helpful to start a thread for anyone who goes to a Fringe event to be able to recommend it to others if they thought it was good.

I went to see Scotch & Soda last night at the Spiegeltent in Wolfe Tone Square. Its expensive for Fringe but absolutely amazing much better value than Cirque de Soleil if you like that sort of thing. Its a combination of acrobatics and live music some of the things they do are incredible they even have two love birds doing tricks at one stage.

We sat at the side would suggest sitting at the front as you come in as we didn't have a great angle of some things.

Its 18+ not only because its Tiger sponsored but there's a bit of male nudity thrown in for the craic. You don't even need to get out of your seat to get a beer they bring them round be prepared for a €6 pint though.

Going to see Behind The Dark at Pheonix Park tonight should be interesting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Have tickets for behind the dark next week but apparently you have to pick up tickets from their office or some such nonsense, so I didnt bother with anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Bambi wrote: »
    Have tickets for behind the dark next week but apparently you have to pick up tickets from their office or some such nonsense, so I didnt bother with anything else.

Yeh I collected them from an office at Ormond Quays not sure if that is the only place you can get them seems a bit crazy if that is the case. I did get a free lollipop though so felt it was worth the walk. It was only a 5 minute walk for me though.

Just thinking about it now there was a ticket collection box at the event last night so maybe you can collect them at each venue when you arrive too would probably be handier for most.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Normally I have everything planned with military precision - this year, I haven't even opened the brochure yet! Thanks for the Scotch & Soda recommendation though jimmii, that might be just the thing for myself and a friend on Saturday :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Bambi wrote: »
    jimmii wrote: »
    Yeh I collected them from an office at Ormond Quays not sure if that is the only place you can get them seems a bit crazy if that is the case. I did get a free lollipop though so felt it was worth the walk. It was only a 5 minute walk for me though.

As far as I remember from previous years, you could collect tickets from the box office any time or else at the venue from 30 mins or so before the show. So if you had booked several shows for example, it'd make more sense to collect them all at once from the box office instead of queuing up at every single show to collect tickets but both options were available. Perhaps collecting at venue was not suitable for the one in the Park simply because of the location?

• Advertisement

miamee wrote: »
    As far as I remember from previous years, you could collect tickets from the box office any time or else at the venue from 30 mins or so before the show. So if you had booked several shows for example, it'd make more sense to collect them all at once from the box office instead of queuing up at every single show to collect tickets but both options were available. Perhaps collecting at venue was not suitable for the one in the Park simply because of the location?

Yeh hard to know how they are going to run it at the park you meet at one of the gates and they take you to the show so guessing the set up won't be a slick as last night. Will let everyone know tomorrow!

miamee wrote: »
    Normally I have everything planned with military precision - this year, I haven't even opened the brochure yet! Thanks for the Scotch & Soda recommendation though jimmii, that might be just the thing for myself and a friend on Saturday :)

It really was very good. I think we actually saw them in London a few years back it was a lot bigger this time round! I was actually thinking about going again it was that good!

Behind the dark is definitely worth going to you won't see anything like it very often thats for sure! It is very short (around 30 mins performance) so you aren't standing around in the dark for long. You meet at the main gate at Pheonix Park and a bus runs you the other side of the park then you go for a little walk into the forest. DO NOT WEAR HEELS!

The bus leaves at about 10pm and you are back at the gate by 11.30pm and about 50 odd minutes of that is travelling there and back. When you get to where it is on don't worry if you aren't at the front as it is going on all around you.

You can collect tickets there so no need to get them beforehand. Wear shoes that you can walk through the forest in as its a bit of a trek through the forest to get there. Definitely check the weather forecast! We had a perfect night for it last night but doubt everyone will be so lucky! Also bring a torch as it is very dark when you are walking there.

Advertisement