Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alternative to Cineworld

• 09-09-2015 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

Are there any other cinemas in Dublin that do a monthly membership....was in Cineworld last night and will never return. The clientele there really is something else!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

justback83 wrote: »
    Are there any other cinemas in Dublin that do a monthly membership....was in Cineworld last night and will never return. The clientele there really is something else!

Haven't been there in years OP. The amount of skangers who frequent there is unreal which is why I swore never to return.

Cant really think of any alternatives but I'd highly recommend the Lighthouse in Smithfield. You pay as you go but are guaranteed peace and quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Imnotthehulk

Have to say, I pretty much never have a problem with Cineworld. That said, I do try and go to the earliest screenings possible on a weekend, and earlier afternoon screenings during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭justback83

Have to say, I pretty much never have a problem with Cineworld. That said, I do try and go to the earliest screenings possible on a weekend, and earlier afternoon screenings during the week.

Unfortunately those times don't suit me.

Last night was a joke - had a gang of skanger mums sitting directly behind me. They "talked" out loud for the entire screening. I had the sense not to say anything to them as I feared they would have attacked. Was close to getting up and complaining to staff but persevered....never again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Meh, never had any major issues in Cineworld myself. It is a large multiplex though designed to cater for all comers. As a consequence it is inevitable that you will have all levels of punters, particularly for busy screenings.

Ultimately:

- price is right;
    - the film selection is pretty good (accepting that there is a certain range of films you'll probably have to hit down to the IFI / Lighthouse for);
    - it is a convenient location;

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭My Darling Clementine

I went to Cineworld Sunday and have to say the quota of dickheads was off the scale.

However, the movie was Straight Outta Compton so kinda expected

• Advertisement

I went to Cineworld Sunday and have to say the quota of dickheads was off the scale.

However, the movie was Straight Outta Compton so kinda expected

Christ I could imagine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

For 21 balloons a month I'll take the odd inconvenience.

But any inconvenience I have these days are rare. The cineworld hating tends to be over the top. Choose your times wisely and you'll have zero problems.

If you plan on going to the cinema between 3-8pm, then good luck to you. I haven't seen a film during those hour for over 10 years.

As nice and all as lighthouse, etc may be. 10 quid a pop becomes a stumbling block fairly quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Same as yourself hulk, I always stick to early screenings at the weekend and afternoon screenings although some of the films I do go and see aren't the type of films the troublemakers or messers tend to go for. But when it comes to blockbusters or that sort the earliest showings are the ones we go for. I've mostly had problems in Cineworld when going to Romantic films that my girlfriend wants to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I've been relatively lucky with Cineworld in the time I was an unlimited member but one bizarre thing that always happens is some wanker sitting behind me putting their feet up on the seat in front and rocking the whole aisle back and forth. I was a magnet for these people. :mad:

Also all of the multiplexes seriously need to crack down on people using their phones in the screens. It's becoming an epidemic at this point, to the extent that I always have to make sure that there's nobody sitting in front of me.

I just go to suburban cinemas if wanting a wide release movie and IFI/Lighthouse for everything else. They both have free loyalty card schemes too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The solution to a lot of these problems I’ve discovered is to sit closer to the screen. In many cinemas you can sit in the first few rows and still get a good view of the screen with minimum neck craning. I’ve even sat in the first row. I actually find it more immersive. You can’t see all the phones, can’t hear the chatters and generally experience far less if any seat kicking or aisle rocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Can't say I have any problems like that in cineworld, been an unlimited member for over 2 years now. I do go in the mornings/early afternoon though, cos the weekend/evening crowds are the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I mainly go to the Lighthouse these days but have also being going to Cineworld for years and still go for the odd blockbuster that the Lighthouse wouldn't show and I have never had a problem with the clientele. I tend to go after work so it's a busy enough time as well.

I would agree with sitting closer to the screen. Talkers and people with no attention spans always tend to sit at the back. It's like some unwritten law.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Wish more places did offer a subscription service though. Theres 2 cinema's real close by me, but 21 notes a month is just too good a price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

Wish more places did offer a subscription service though. Theres 2 cinema's real close by me, but 21 notes a month is just too good a price.

FWIW, Odeon are trialing a 'Limitless' service in the UK

http://www.odeon.co.uk/terms/beta/

If its successful then it should make its way here. Really hope VUE follow suit. Liffey Valley is so close for me and I would go, so much more

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭justback83

I'm dumbfounded at the amount of people that have had "no problems" with Cineworld because they go at inconvenient times - isn't this a problem?!!! You're going at a time that avoids these people!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

I'm dumbfounded at the amount of people that have had "no problems" with Cineworld because they go at inconvenient times - isn't this a problem?!!! You're going at a time that avoids these people!

Not inconvenient for everyone. I'll pick the latest film available to watch, so on a Friday/Saturday, most of my visits are post 10pm. These screenings are nearly always devoid of scangers or annoying people in general.

In another life, my cinema visits where always made prior to 1pm.

Horses for courses and all that. Because 99% of my cinema trips are alone, I don't have to negotiate times with friends.

Once again, for 21 quid a month, I'll side step a few things in order to make it work.

I could watch 8-10 movies some months. All the convenience in the world won't make up for the hole that would put in my pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

These people can also go other cinemas too. A$$hats are going to be A$$hats, no matter where they are.

These people can also go other cinemas too. A$$hats are going to be A$$hats, no matter where they are.

True but they're mostly drawn to Cineworld like spinkles on a sh*t sunday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭My Darling Clementine

In fairness, to balance things out, Cineworld has the best looking women

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

TBH I find all the mulitplex attract them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Tbh very rarely ever had problems with the clientele in Cineworld and esp within the past 2years since Ive got the unlimited card :)

As some ppl said on here already, if there ever is trouble there tis a small price to pay for 21.90 a mth for unlimited movies imho!

And yes going at times that are before say 7pm or so and sitting about 4 or 5 rows from the front usually avoids the **** if there is any, except obv sometimes the people who will still make sure they sit in their right seat :rolleyes: even if tis up your arse or on top of you or in a half empty screen, seriously Id love to know what goes on in the heads of these people, are they lonely or something?! lol :P

But also it depends on the movie your going to too, very much so in fact!

Advertisement