Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare Hall Gym

Options
  • 09-09-2015 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Does anyone know of a gym close to Clare Hall Shopping Centre? Ideally a walking distance but I have a bike if its within reason.
    Not sure if the Hilton Gym is open to the public. I've done some googling and its slim pickings!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,205 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You're about 30 minutes cycle from AALSA up near the airport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

The gym in the GAA club in Coolock is good and very cheap. Probably a 15 min walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

theres unique physique in kilbarrack as well, 15 quid a week or something like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Dublingirl88

Slenderhealth gym in Raheny isn't walking distance but the 29A will practically drop you to the door...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Isn't there a gym opening in part of the old total fitness? There's a curves in the baldoyle industrial estate if that's any use to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Fitness Bay in Baldoyle?

No idea if it's any good but they are located in the gym in St Nessan's school. I keep getting leaflets in the door about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

Seems like the kilbarrak/baldoyle area are my closet options....It would be ideal if FlyFit took over that total fitness warehouse!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭CWF

Muscle Factory in Baldoyle Industrial Estate is good. Coolock training unit in Coolock Industrial Unit also.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

There's a new gym opening in the complex that's made up of the old Total Fitness centre.

Also, there's a brand new gym just after opening in Clongriffin, down at the public square, probably 5 mins cycle from Clare hall tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭themissymoo

kceire wrote: »
    There's a new gym opening in the complex that's made up of the old Total Fitness centre.

Are you sure about this, and have you any idea on who's taking it over? I'm about to join a FlyeFit that's close to work, but I'd rather hold off if it's being turned into a gym. I heard it was going to be like an extension of ClareHall Shopping Centre from one person, with another saying they were making it a JumpZone.

• Advertisement

Are you sure about this, and have you any idea on who's taking it over? I'm about to join a FlyeFit that's close to work, but I'd rather hold off if it's being turned into a gym. I heard it was going to be like an extension of ClareHall Shopping Centre from one person, with another saying they were making it a JumpZone.

No idea who owns it but they lodged a commencement notice with Dublin city council some months ago. It will be much smaller than the old place though.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Apparently the new gym in Calrehall Shopping Centre is supposed to be 24hrs, could be just rumour though

Buckfast W wrote: »
    Apparently the new gym in Calrehall Shopping Centre is supposed to be 24hrs, could be just rumour though

any idea of the opening date? this side of xmas I hope :|

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

And will they be retaining the pool?

Eh I dunno I pass by it everyday, they gutted the entire place (in feb I think) and are still working on it. To be honest it doesn't look like they'll be finished anytime soon.
    I'm gutted because I live in Donaghmede I used to be a member when it was Total Fitness, now I have to shlep up to Northwood (which is a nice gym) but I have to drive whereas I could just walk up the road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Don't hold your collective breaths on a new gym opening in the TF premises. That rumour has been going around since about 24hrs after the last one closed!

My post seems to have been ignored but I'll again reiterate - the GAA club in Coolock Village is by far and away the best facilitated and best valued gym in the area. It's a 10 or 15 min walk from Clare Hall.

My post seems to have been ignored but I'll again reiterate - the GAA club in Coolock Village is by far and away the best facilitated and best valued gym in the area. It's a 10 or 15 min walk from Clare Hall.
    thanks for the recommendation. Do you happen to know the membership prices?

skeg16 wrote: »
    thanks for the recommendation. Do you happen to know the membership prices?

Like 250€ a year. Check their site.

Like 250€ a year. Check their site.

I was looking but was too dumb to see the prices at the bottom. It's great value 199e for 12 months!! wheres the catch! it looks a tad small??

• Advertisement

It's grand and has steam room jacuzzi etc. Go check it out. No catch unless you count cheap memberships as a paltry remittance from the GAA for stealing all our athletes and being partly responsible for the state of the LOI!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

It's grand and has steam room jacuzzi etc. Go check it out. No catch unless you count cheap memberships as a paltry remittance from the GAA for stealing all our athletes and being partly responsible for the state of the LOI!

Just to add to this - it's not even close to a ten minute walk from Clare hall! Try thirty minutes easily!

It's grand, it's a decent gym. No pool and packed beyond belief anytime I've been there, but worth the money.

Just to add to this - it's not even close to a ten minute walk from Clare hall! Try thirty minutes easily!

It's grand, it's a decent gym. No pool and packed beyond belief anytime I've been there, but worth the money.

A briskish pace walking at 6.5km would take the 2.1km distance about 20 minutes. I timed it myself and it was about 15 but I walk quite fast. You could cycle it in 5 minutes easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

kceire wrote: »

The main tenant of the building will be a Wetherspoon's.

3DataModem wrote: »
    The main tenant of the building will be a Wetherspoon's.

Most recent application :

The development will consist of amendments to the mixed retail, health and fitness centre, restaurant and medical centre development approved under Planning Register Reference 2460/11: An Bord Pleanala Reference Pl29N.240108 comprising: the reconfiguration of the ground floor to provide 1,135 sq.m (gross) of health and fitness 1,829 sq.m (gross) of retail floor space (1,133 sq.m) (gross) comparison; 696 sq.m (gross) convenience) in a 4 no. units; a 332 sq.m (gross) restaurant in the single storey hydrotherapy building on the western elevation; a bookmaker's shop (75 sq.m gross); and a coffee shop (144 sq.m gross); the reconfiguration of the first floor to provide 1,183 sq.m gross) of health and fitness; 440 sq.m (gross) of retail floor space (comparison) upper level of three of the retail units on ground floor); the upper level of the ground floor coffee shop (100 sq.m gross) resulting in a reduction of 847 sq.m in gross retail floor area from that previously approved; alterations to the elevations including part re-cladding the construction of 4 no. feature entrances with signage panels above and the formation of new windows, doors and canopies to the southern elevation; the retention of the feature entrance tower on the southern elevation for which permission was granted previously and the installation of a signage panel on the southern elevation; the formation of a new pedestrian entrance to the health and fitness centre on the northern elevation and the construction of a canopy over the entrance and alterations to the external space adjacent to the new entrance door involving the removal of 4 no. car parking spaces and the formation of a paved entrance area; and the installation of 2 no. signage panels on the northern elevation.

I really wonder if it's going to be a success or not, for the size of Clare Hall shopping centre there's very little in it. And this building stands seperate to it. When I was in total fitness the pool was downstairs so they must have filled it in. They need some good shops to make this a success.
    Just on a side note even in Donaghmede SC a lot of the shops that are upstairs are usually bypassed by customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Buckfast W wrote: »
    Just on a side note even in Donaghmede SC a lot of the shops that are upstairs are usually bypassed by customers.

Yeah, so many of them being empty units doesn't help, it's a self perpetuating problem. Why go up if there's nothing up there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Darkslide

Just had a look at muscle factory - doesn't open until 11am? WTF?!

I'd be willing to work around that if a few people could recommend the it?

I already travel a good bit for work so would prefer somewhere that's close to home...

If this helps I was passing through Baldoyle last night and I noticed that there's a gym over the Atlas garage just beside the new Apple Green garage on the Grange road. Dunno what it's like (doubt it has a pool) but it does do TRX.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Darkslide

^is that not Muscle Factory?!

Advertisement