Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transplanting Young Cherry Tree

Options
  • 09-09-2015 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm looking for advice on transplanting 2 young cherry trees that have self-seeded in the garden beneath a mature cherry tree.

I think they must be about 5 or 6 years old(?), about 6 foot in height.

Whats the best time of year? I was thinking November time?

There is a much older cherry tree that has also been growing I'd guess for 15 years, its right beside the big cherry tree. I don't know what to do with that?

Leave it? Try transplant it (I'd be guessing big root system?). Don't really want to chop it down completely.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Cumin

The young trees should have no trouble with the transplanting. You can dig them up when the leafs are gone (Nov to Jan is the best time). Don't know about the bigger one. Consider that if you are trying to dig up the 15 year old tree which is very close to the mother tree you will probably disturb her roots too. If you don't want to cut it why not leave it?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Thanks Cumin...yes I'll leave it.

Advertisement