Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which type of red wine do you use for stews?

Options
  • 09-09-2015 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I don't drink red wine so I'm not really sure what the best types are for cooking.

I know it's important to get a good quality one.

What do you normally choose for something like a stew?
    Merlot, Shiraz etc - something that will give a lovely rich flavour - what should I be looking for?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Anything that comes out of a bottle should be grand. People say that you shouldn't cook with a wine you wouldn't drink, but I'll drink anything :D Personally I like a merlot.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Maybe it is just habit rather than taste, but if I was cooking a lamb dish that called for a good glug or two of wine I'd go for a Rioja. For beef, I'd generally use a Merlot.

As for the quality of the wine - something that I'd be happy enough to drink at the end of a long evening when all the better quality vino has been polished off. ;)

Advertisement