Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property valuations

Options
  • 09-09-2015 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

How realistic are property valuations, we've had ours valued, it's what my wife reckoned we would get but a little bit higher than what I thought, do I start to get optimistic and looking at 5 beds in foxrock.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

Just look on www.propertypriceregister.ie too see what houses in your area are actually selling for. Also get 3 valuations for your own property.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Its someones opinion at the end of the day they only way to know is to put it on the market, PPR def a good bet but that price is the price agreed for another house at least 3 months prior to it going up online.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

It's a guesstimate. Actual value depends on who's looking to buy at the time, if they have a competitor, if a similar property comes on the market at the same time, if sentiment is up or down, if a million other variables fall this way or that. PPR info is very useful, but make sure to chase down old ads for the listed properties to determine what sort of shape they were in / if they had added value of any kind.

If valuations were really worthwhile we'd see few asking price drops or sale prices well over asking. As this clearly isn't the case - probably a minority of sales are at asking, you have to concede that market value is a pretty slippery thing to pin down.

Advertisement