Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dt021

Options
  • 09-09-2015 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi I'm just wondering on completion of this course are the job opportunities good in ireland. I am a qualified electrician and am considering going back to college to study electrical engineering and just need some advise if this is a good career option for me. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I have worked with a large number engineers that graduated from DT021 over the years. Roles vary but from what I have seen are mainly design, commissioning, maintenance, sales and project management. There seem to be an abundance of opportunities for people with this qualification.

Many end up working for the pharmaceutical industry or for a consultancy.

In my opinion a qualified electrician is mainly an advantage when commissioning (only really applies to those with industrial experience).

This course is well regarded within the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 st3mc92

2011 wrote: »
    I have worked with a large number engineers that graduated from DT021 over the years. Roles vary but from what I have seen are mainly design, commissioning, maintenance, sales and project management. There seem to be an abundance of opportunities for people with this qualification.

Many end up working for the pharmaceutical industry or for a consultancy.

In my opinion a qualified electrician is mainly an advantage when commissioning (only really applies to those with industrial experience).

This course is well regarded within the industry.

Thank you for the reply. This advise is very helpful. I was just worried that after studying for another 4 years I'd still be short of job opportunities like I am now. If you say there are plenty of opportunities that's fantastic and has settled my nerves a little. I just couldn't continue working as an electrician for many years wondering from week to week If my job is safe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭rob w

st3mc92 wrote: »
    Hi I'm just wondering on completion of this course are the job opportunities good in ireland. I am a qualified electrician and am considering going back to college to study electrical engineering and just need some advise if this is a good career option for me. Thanks

I just completed DT021 this summer. Like yourself, I was working as an electrician and went back to college when work dried up.

There seems to be a lot of job opportunities out there these days for graduates of 021. Companies who I know have hired/interviewed graduates from the course this year are the likes of Intel, Eirgrid, Eircom, Open Hydro, ESB (Hired ~60 grads this year across all fields, and a large chunk of them are 021 graduates, myself included!), lots of consultancies like PM Group, Arup etc among others.

Depending on what youre interested in there are many different fields you can get into and your electrical qualification and experience will also stand to you when it comes to job hunting. I have to say that the Careers Service in DIT were great at informing us about the various different positions as they arose.

Good luck if you decide to take it on, its a very good course, but be warned that the workload is heavy towards the final years, but nothing that can't be managed, and its definitely worth it in the end.

Any other questions feel free to ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 st3mc92

rob w wrote: »
    I just completed DT021 this summer. Like yourself, I was working as an electrician and went back to college when work dried up.

There seems to be a lot of job opportunities out there these days for graduates of 021. Companies who I know have hired/interviewed graduates from the course this year are the likes of Intel, Eirgrid, Eircom, Open Hydro, ESB (Hired ~60 grads this year across all fields, and a large chunk of them are 021 graduates, myself included!), lots of consultancies like PM Group, Arup etc among others.

Depending on what youre interested in there are many different fields you can get into and your electrical qualification and experience will also stand to you when it comes to job hunting. I have to say that the Careers Service in DIT were great at informing us about the various different positions as they arose.

Good luck if you decide to take it on, its a very good course, but be warned that the workload is heavy towards the final years, but nothing that can't be managed, and its definitely worth it in the end.

Any other questions feel free to ask!

Rob thanks very much for your help. As an electrician did you go into the ordinary certificate course dt009 or dt010 for 2 years and then transfer into dt021 or did you start 021 from the beginning.

I'm not too worried about the workload I'm determined to get It now so I'll put my head down. Is the maths very hard? I only ask this because I did ordinary maths for my leaving cert and that's the only part I'd be worried about.

You've settled my nerves greatly here about doing this course. I was just worried I'd go study for another 4 years and have the same job security as I do now which is terrible as you'd know. This seems the best option for a career from what I've researched.

Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭rob w

st3mc92 wrote: »
    Rob thanks very much for your help. As an electrician did you go into the ordinary certificate course dt009 or dt010 for 2 years and then transfer into dt021 or did you start 021 from the beginning.

I'm not too worried about the workload I'm determined to get It now so I'll put my head down. Is the maths very hard? I only ask this because I did ordinary maths for my leaving cert and that's the only part I'd be worried about.

You've settled my nerves greatly here about doing this course. I was just worried I'd go study for another 4 years and have the same job security as I do now which is terrible as you'd know. This seems the best option for a career from what I've researched.

Thanks for your help

I started in DT010 thinking that was for me. I got some work experience during the summers in a building services consultancy and decided that I wasnt really interested in that area.

So after finishing the Ord. Degree I went into DT021 through advanced entry into 3rd year. Looking back I probably would have preferred to have done DT021 from the beginning but its good to have both qualifications under my belt!

The DT021 group from 3rd year on was made up of lots of people from different working backgrounds and courses and also some international students!

As for the maths, its certainly not easy but definitely manageable. If you find it difficult, put in the study or get grinds early on rather than later.

The Maths Learning Centre in DIT offer great help, and it is free too.....so use it if you have to! I spent some time there myself in the beginning!

Like you, I had only taken ordinary level maths in school, and that was 10 years before I started in DIT.

• Advertisement
Advertisement