Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great games you never played but that are on your list...

Options
  • 09-09-2015 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭

Was only having a think about this earlier today but are there are great games that you wish you played but somehow never got around to (maybe by virtue of not having the console or just never getting around to it). I'm an avid gamer (playstation generally), but somehow I've missed some gems.

For me I always wished that I played Spec Ops: The Line as I heard the storyline was absolutely incredible. I eventually got a copy on PS Plus I think (or maybe very cheap) but by the time I played it, it had aged pretty badly compared to games that I was playing and I found it a bit rough.

Similarly, I never played Bioshock... How? I don't know. But it's on my list!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

TLOU, it's right there on the PS4, just looking at me.
    I'm a a terrible person :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Dark Souls and Bloodbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Psychonauts - picked it up today on PSN canada for $2 despite having it on PS2 disc for years
    Mass Effect 2 - finished 1 recently so this will be started soon.
    Journey - have this ages but nearly afraid to play it, I don't want to be disappointed!

Recently played through ICO and Dark Souls for the first time and loved both.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

If you're disappointed by Journey you should just sell all your games and consoles cause there's something wrong with you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Cormac... wrote: »
    TLOU, it's right there on the PS4, just looking at me.
    I'm a a terrible person :(

I'll make you feel better.

I bought TLOU on PS3. Never played it. It came out on PS4 over a year later (still sitting on my shelf), and eventually I traded it in against the PS4 version.

I must have looked like an absolute mug.

Loved it in the end though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

TLOU
    Spec Ops (Have it on Steam)
    ICO
    Okami
    Final Fantasy VII

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

For me I always wished that I played Spec Ops: The Line as I heard the storyline was absolutely incredible. I eventually got a copy on PS Plus I think (or maybe very cheap) but by the time I played it, it had aged pretty badly compared to games that I was playing and I found it a bit rough.

how can you say it has aged badly, it's only 3 years old?

I can understand games from 10+ years ago having aged badly but a recent game like that doesn't make sense

maybe because I played it on PC and you played it on PS3 might have something to do with it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Skerries wrote: »
    how can you say it has aged badly, it's only 3 years old?

I can understand games from 10+ years ago having aged badly but a recent game like that doesn't make sense

maybe because I played it on PC and you played it on PS3 might have something to do with it

I think I tried it right after TLOU on PS4 and my brain was just in love with the visuals and mechanics of it so Spec Ops seemed poor in terms of visuals, gameplay, responsiveness etc. I think i was just spoiled by TLOU.

Think i'll definitely give it another go though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭bunnyarmstrong

Final Fantasy VII

Yikes! Whenever you do, let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

I've actually never played any Mass Effect or Fallout games, keep on saying I will pick em up and play through em, but at this stage I don't think I will ever do it. I will probably get caught up in the hype for Fallout 4 , so might play that alright.

I loved Uncharted 3, but never played 1 or 2, will definitely be getting the Nathan Drake Collection when it comes out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Assassins Creed, the pirate one. Since it was a launch title, I suspect that it will appear on PS+ at some stage so Im holding off til then. I thought it would be cheaper now as well, but still costs around €30.

I want to play it, Id pay about a tenner only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Polar101

I'm only going to include games that I already bought, and will be playing.. eventually.

Dishonored, have it from a Steam sale and PS Plus, but still haven't even installed it.
    Spec Ops the Line
    Assassin's Creed IV - currently playing through III so this is up next.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

How can you know they're great if you've never played them ?

You mean critically acclaimed games ?

If that's the case, most of us here have endless amount of Games due to the Steam sales, then there are all the ones from previous consoles you didn't own or didn't get around to.

So in my case, nearly every 'great' N64, Wii , GameCube, WiiU, Dreamcast game.

One day I do plan to get through certain games I never got around to, like Mario 64, Mario Galaxy, Metroid, Zeldas etc etc.
    But the list grows quicker than I can clear it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm closing in on 1500+ games I've not yet played. I need help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Play journey, do it now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

SeantheMan wrote: »
    How can you know they're great if you've never played them ?

You mean critically acclaimed games ?

If that's the case, most of us here have endless amount of Games due to the Steam sales, then there are all the ones from previous consoles you didn't own or didn't get around to.

So in my case, nearly every 'great' N64, Wii , GameCube, WiiU, Dreamcast game.

One day I do plan to get through certain games I never got around to, like Mario 64, Mario Galaxy, Metroid, Zeldas etc etc.
    But the list grows quicker than I can clear it

I have a vast collection of physical titles, no Steam hoarder me, and, like you say, I collect faster than I can finish them.
    At least my son helps, working his way through titles o barely get around to, like Shovel Knight and Skyrim.

But, I will persevere, with Super Mario Maker incoming however, and the open ended beast that it is, I fear it will be all in vain!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I have a big list. Some of them I own some of them I dont. The worst thing is there are a few games coming out soon that I would love to get.

I used to buy almost all games I kind of liked, then ending up playing them for a bit and leaving them for later, while playing next big thing. So I would spend full price on game and just leave it there and finally when I have time to play it, it is less then half price... I got a good backlog of games that I can buy really cheap. :)

Witcher 3
    Tlou
    Metal gear Solid 5
    Mad Max
    Shadow of Mordor
    Dishonored
    Dragon Commander
    Forza Horizon 2
    Evil within
    Wolfenstein
    Resident evil Revalations 2
    Monster Hunter 4
    Shadowrun Returns
    Wasteland 2
    Mass effect 3

Just the top of my head. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Soon after the PS3 came out I started to buy a whole bunch of great PS2 games on the cheap that I have never played, would need to check but some of them include:

Ico
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Okami
    Kingdom Hearts 1 +2
    Several MGS games

On the 360 I have the GOTY edition of Red Dead Redemption, not touched.

I have a backlog on the Vita due to lack of time and PS Plus. The DS (not 3DS) is a joke as I have one of "those special cards".

I'm being good on my PS4 and Xbox One, backlog is only being created by PS Plus and GWG. I refuse now to buy a new release unless I'm going to play it immediately, like another poster said much cheaper on the pocket to pick them up 3-6-9 months after release when I do plan on playing them - so that means no Witcher 3, MGSV etc. at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pro-tip: Nobody needs to play Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Pro-tip: Nobody needs to play Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2.

Wouldn't one of them not have been enough to sate that appetite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭bunnyarmstrong

I've actually never played any Mass Effect or Fallout games, keep on saying I will pick em up and play through em, but at this stage I don't think I will ever do it. I will probably get caught up in the hype for Fallout 4 , so might play that alright.

I loved Uncharted 3, but never played 1 or 2, will definitely be getting the Nathan Drake Collection when it comes out

Uncharted 2 is highly recommended if you loved 3. The reason I bought a PS3! if you find 1 a little underwhelming, all I'll say is don't let that deter you and get stuck into 2. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Uncharted 2 is highly recommended if you loved 3. The reason I bought a PS3! if you find 1 a little underwhelming, all I'll say is don't let that deter you and get stuck into 2. :)

Yeah I have a habit of playing sequels to games I missed. I usually just look me up on YouTube for the stories behind them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I've missed out on so much being a PC gamer, there's quite a few games that I'd love to have played like The Last of Us, Red Dead Redemption, Bayonetta (not to mention every Metal Gear after the PS1 days) that are probably never going to see the light of day on PC. I'm really thrilled we're starting to see a huge boom in traditionally console-only games getting excellent PC releases too, because some of the games I enjoyed the most lately have been the likes of Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, The Evil Within, Tomb Raider, and of course MGSV.

But then there's the backlog of games I picked up in Steam sales that I've been slowly trying to whittle down, top of the list being Sleeping Dogs, Spec Ops: The Line, Shadowrun, Alan Wake, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, and there's also a few games that I had started but are sort of on pause because MSGV has kinda taken over completely, I'd started the first Bioshock, Witcher, Bastion, Remember Me and I still need to finish The Evil Within tbh. Basically, I got a LOT of stuff to keep me busy gaming wise. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The Last of Us really isnt the masterpiece people go on about, its pretty clunky and repetitive, you can have all the wonderful story and atmosphere in the world but when the gameplay is just the same 3-4 enemies over and over again along with the same woeful push/pull/ladder "puzzles" it gets old really fast, reminds me of Metro in the way they seem to have invested all their energy crafting the environment and forgot to beef up the gameplay. Its actually a bit baffling how popular that game was, I suspect if it was multi-platform it would be forgotten about by now.

Advertisement