Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good design from the beginning?

Options
  • 09-09-2015 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I hope to build a house in the next couple of years and I'd like to start off on the right foot when it comes to insulation, heating, air tightness and ventilation.

I've been reading through the many threads on boards.ie about these topics and one thing seems to be clear; the people who consider these topics from the very beginning seem to do fine, and the people who handle them as an after thought seem to have lots of issues.

So my questions is this; what can I do to increase the odds of a good build?

My current plan is to try and do the following:

1. Try an learn enough about these topics so that I can understand whats going on and make good decisions.
    2. Try and get an architect that has experience with near passive designs.
    3. Try and get a main contractor that has built houses with similar specs.

Is there anything else I can do to ensure that the house I build will be extremely well insulated, heated and air tight (and with all the systems working well together)? Are there independent energy consultants that can be brought in from the beginning?

Thanks,

Bdan.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Save lots of €€ as everything costs twice what the guy in the pub tells you it will

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

bdan wrote: »
    Are there independent energy consultants that can be brought in from the beginning?
    Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

Try and find yourself an engineer that is also a qualified & experienced BER assessor, get that person to go over your plans and give you a prelim BER assessment and check how you can best meet part L regs. I am still in early stages of this process so that's about the only advice I can give you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I'd tend towards option 2 of your list, as a holistic design by a good architect makes the energy side easier.

Advertisement