Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WMC Finally Dead??

• 09-09-2015 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

I have been using WMC for years with the Recorded TV HD / GuideTool / EMBY and TunerFree MCE plugins and have been deligted with it. The Only issue I have with it to be honest is the lack of a Netflix Plugin that works in Ireland.

I have a Saorview compatible Tuner and a Composite Feed from the (OTA) UPC Box which means I have HD and SD tv. But the EPG for the UPC has died now and there are no options for recording bar manual setting.

As the HTPC is pestering me to upgrade to Windows 10. I'm wondering is there any good replacements for it (I would use EMBY and Windows 10 Apps rather than the Exisiting Plugins) But the Recorded TV is the main think that will effect me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭catfax

Yes WMC is dead and has been for a while.

If you want to stick with MS you could take a look at the Xbox One it is the MS made HTPC, you get universal apps including Emby and Netflix, it has a USB DVB tuner with rumored this year or next native DVR features coming. In the interim it has a HDMI input that you could stick an old school Saorview PVR box into it and use that with the Xbox One.

For Emby it has a PVR or live TV component but I've not personally tried it out( Xbox one client may not support it so could be PC only), it seems to be the same system that Kodi (formally XBMC) uses with a TV server handling streams, guide data and recording then piping that to a client. You can have the server on the same PC as the client.

Settings up these TV servers can be complicated depending upon which one you go with, Emby doesn't appear to have the range of servers that Kodi has (DVB Portal being the easiest in my experience) but it does have Next PVR.

See their LiveTV forum for more info
    http://emby.media/community/index.php?/forum/97-live-tv/

However one other thing to keep in mind even though Win 10 has a Netflix app it wont work with a gamepad or remote unless yours can emulate a mouse, only keyboard/mouse + touch screens are supported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Wheeker

Dead? Whilst MS have definitely neglected WMC, as it was sold with W8 in theory it is supported until 2023!

The MS supplied Web EPG for Europe failed on 6/9/15. They have said they are aware of the issue & are working on it. Unfortunately as your TV feed is from a UPC STB you are relying on a web EPG. I have Saorview + Freesat so I have been able to use EPG Collector to provide an in-band guide. Check out the thread on Greenbutton.tv

You could wait for MS to resolve the issue or make the leap to Emby/Mediaportal/Kodi. IMHO I find WMC the best for Live & Recorded TV.

MS Guide data is back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Conar

Wheeker wrote: »
    MS Guide data is back!

MS rep on the green button admitted the fault went unnoticed and resolved it. I think we shoukd be good for a while longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

I did a bit of looking around since the Original Question.

It's Not back for me yet. So the Data Stream for "NTL Digital Dublin" is still missing. However from looking at the Connect site in Europe it seems Zap2It are the Source of the issue. As UK, NL, CH and BE are also having the same problem.

The OTA EPG from Saorview is working, but for some reason I am missing RTÉ1 HD, RTÉ1+1 and UTV Ireland (No Great Loss there). But practically ever time I login the Channels have re-tuned. Might be the signal though.
    Wheeker wrote: »
    IMHO I find WMC the best for Live & Recorded TV.
    I agree 100%. I can't believe more people don't use it. With MCE Buddy/Comskip cutting out Ad's. I also use Recorded TV HD plugin for organising all the recorded stuff, works very like Emby. I know I could probably re-configure MCE Buddy to put everything into the EMBY folders but I like having stuff I recorded off TV seperate to stuff from other sources.

WMC had so much potential. I wait and hope for EMBY Theatre to catch up (which seems to be the plan) but I cannot find a similar solution to what WMC gives me.

EDIT: Off now to do the TV Setup in WMC again. Hopefully will work.

• Advertisement

McAlban wrote: »
    It's Not back for me yet. So the Data Stream for "NTL Digital Dublin" is still missing.

You could try Guide Tool for other EPG Data streams.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Doubt.It

It's great to have the listings for Freesat back, but most of the ones for Saorview are still missing. Is there any word about them coming back, or a workaround? I used EPG Centre during the downtime but it doesn't have Irish terrestrial TV in its presets.

Irritatingly, I find that if I set up Media Center using Ireland as a location I can drag in listings for RTEs 1 & 2, but I lose reception - not just listings - for several Freesat channels I want.

Doubt.It wrote: »
    It's great to have the listings for Freesat back, but most of the ones for Saorview are still missing. Is there any word about them coming back, or a workaround? I used EPG Centre during the downtime but it doesn't have Irish terrestrial TV in its presets.

Irritatingly, I find that if I set up Media Center using Ireland as a location I can drag in listings for RTEs 1 & 2, but I lose reception - not just listings - for several Freesat channels I want.

By default, you should get a 7-day Saorview EPG as an "inband" guide, i.e. with the broadcast rather than a Web EPG. Edit one of the Saorview channels & Edit listings- either there is an "Enable inband" option or perhaps if you select no listing it will default to inband.

I have set my WMC with UK as the location as I found this was the only way to get listings (via Guide Tool) for channels such as 4Seven etc. You should never lose reception on Freesat due to Setup location. Probably the Ireland default channels used at Setup is not up-to-date. Look up these channels on http://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php & scan a single transponder using the tuning details provided. FWIW once I have run setup I clear the guide & start from scratch doing single transponder scans to only get the channels I want

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Doubt.It

Ah, that was it thanks. It looks like I'd turned off in-band at some point, back when I was trying to find a solution to the missing Media Center listings. Not even sure what I used to do it now, I tried so many dodgy-looking MCE tools, but found the registry key responsible.

I'm no nearer to understanding why certain channels can't be found using an Irish location, though I assume it is something like what you describe. I always do a full transponder scan, then create favourites categories for the ones that are watchable. Perhaps your way would be less hassle! But it's a moot point now - at least until Microsoft drop the ball again.

Advertisement