Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Inspiron Micro Desktop €149 @ DELL Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Je suis Hoplite

Folks - trying to order the PC but am stuck at the postal code for parcel motel. Nothing on parcel motel website about their eircode for Dublin premises. What did others do here? The usual 'N/A' is not working and 'Dublin' is not accepted either. I tried eircode.ie but the address is different to that given by parcel motel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Je suis Hoplite

Folks - trying to order the PC but am stuck at the postal code for parcel motel. Nothing on parcel motel website about their eircode for Dublin premises. What did others do here? The usual 'N/A' is not working and 'Dublin' is not accepted either. I tried eircode.ie but the address is different to that given by parcel motel. No reply from parcel motel yet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dawidnowak2005

Now I have real issue, 32gb was not enough to upgrade to Windows 10 but there was option to connect external hd and continue installation, all was fine until like 40% of installation, pc restart and was perform disk scan for 2h. Now it's "restoring your previous version on Windows " on screen for few minutes and restart and so over all time, loop. I'm stuck now, have no keyboard to try recovery. Are there any another option to get in to recovery without keyboard ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 TJ_M

Can anybody confirm if this CPU can play 1080p video files smoothly

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Seapoint

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=616936

Download Windows 10
    If you need to install or reinstall Windows 10, you can use the tools on this page to create your own installation media using either a USB flash drive or a DVD.
    Before you begin

Make sure you have:
    An Internet connection (Internet service provider fees may apply).
    Sufficient data storage available on a computer, USB or external drive for the download.
    A blank USB or DVD (and DVD burner) with at least 4 GB of space if you want to create media. We recommend using a blank USB or blank DVD, because any content on it will be deleted.
    Read the System Requirements.
    If you are installing the operating system for the first time, you will need your Windows product key (xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx). For more information about product keys and when they are required, visit the FAQ page.
    For Enterprise editions please visit the Volume Licensing Service Center.
    Use the media creation tool to download Windows. This tool provides the best download experience for customers running Windows 7, 8.1 and 10. The tool includes:
    File formats optimised for download speed.
    Built-in media creation options for USBs and DVDs.
    Optional conversion to ISO file format.
    Download Tool Now (32-bit version)
    Download Tool Now (64-bit version)

• Advertisement

Seapoint wrote: »
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=616936

Download Windows 10
    If you need to install or reinstall Windows 10, you can use the tools on this page to create your own installation media using either a USB flash drive or a DVD.
    Before you begin

Make sure you have:
    An Internet connection (Internet service provider fees may apply).
    Sufficient data storage available on a computer, USB or external drive for the download.
    A blank USB or DVD (and DVD burner) with at least 4 GB of space if you want to create media. We recommend using a blank USB or blank DVD, because any content on it will be deleted.
    Read the System Requirements.
    If you are installing the operating system for the first time, you will need your Windows product key (xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx). For more information about product keys and when they are required, visit the FAQ page.
    For Enterprise editions please visit the Volume Licensing Service Center.
    Use the media creation tool to download Windows. This tool provides the best download experience for customers running Windows 7, 8.1 and 10. The tool includes:
    File formats optimised for download speed.
    Built-in media creation options for USBs and DVDs.
    Optional conversion to ISO file format.
    Download Tool Now (32-bit version)
    Download Tool Now (64-bit version)

What of i have no Windows product key? Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Just for your info
    Part number from Dell for SATA cable is HM06J and it cost around 58 euros with shipping.

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Seapoint

What of i have no Windows product key? Thank you

Here's the steps. Connect your Windows 7 or Windows 8 unit to the internet and make sure it's activated. Then that actual Windows unit is registered with Microsoft's licencing / upgrade server.

When you run the media creation tool from their site just select the "upgrade this computer" option. When asked for the product key, select "skip this step" and proceed with the upgrade. As soon as your windows computer completes the upgrade process let it go online, Microsoft will recognise it as a valid unit and automatically activate it.

You can the re-run the media creation tool to create Windows 10 Installation media and use that to do a "clean install" at any later date, so long as your intrinsic hardware ID hasn't changed too much.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

degsie wrote: »
    How do you transfer a licence?

curious about this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Anyone looking for step by step guide on how to replace / upgrade components, check out the pdf.

http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-3050-micro-desktop_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf

I find Dells manuals to be pretty good.

Memory is the easiest to upgrade and then the curve gets a little steeper :)

• Advertisement

Seapoint wrote: »
    Here's the steps. Connect your Windows 7 or Windows 8 unit to the internet and make sure it's activated. Then that actual Windows unit is registered with Microsoft's licencing / upgrade server.

When you run the media creation tool from their site just select the "upgrade this computer" option. When asked for the product key, select "skip this step" and proceed with the upgrade. As soon as your windows computer completes the upgrade process let it go online, Microsoft will recognise it as a valid unit and automatically activate it.

You can the re-run the media creation tool to create Windows 10 Installation media and use that to do a "clean install" at any later date, so long as your intrinsic hardware ID hasn't changed too much.

Good luck!

Thanks for that, will try after work

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭maik3n

Folks - trying to order the PC but am stuck at the postal code for parcel motel. Nothing on parcel motel website about their eircode for Dublin premises. What did others do here? The usual 'N/A' is not working and 'Dublin' is not accepted either. I tried eircode.ie but the address is different to that given by parcel motel. No reply from parcel motel yet either.
    Why are you using parcel motel?
    I just ordered with my normal Meath home address and all went through fine.

PS. Thanks for the headz up about this machine bromley.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

Hi All - I'm interested in getting this box - can anyone let me know if there is much if any noise out of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I spend a little while looking and all I can see is the following as the best value..Any opinions before I pull the trigger?

128gb SSD €68.88
    https://www.memoryc.ie/storage/ssd/128gb-transcend-m2-ngff-42mm-sata-iii-6gbps-mts400.html

4gb RAM €27.99
    https://www.memoryc.ie/computer-memory/ddr3-sodimm/4gb-gskill-ripjaws-ddr3-1600mhz-ddr3l-sodimm-low-voltage-1-35v-module.html
    http://www.adverts.ie/hard-drives/128gb-ztc-armor-42mm-m-2-ngff-6g-ssd-solid-state-disk-ztc-sm201-128g/5026505
    lulzordan wrote: »
    Do you know if that stick will fit? I have no idea about the dimensions but I would consider getting a low profile one or whatever they're called. I bought one of those for my desktop and they came with an ornament that made it like 10cm longer :P
    Ther eare two sizes and the extra bit you got was an adapter to make the smaller size provided fit if yours took the larger size.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Can you get these SSD sticks or RAM sticks in B&M shops?
    Or do they have to be gotten online?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Too late for me but has anyone used this discount code from the website:
    Save an additional 10% with coupon code ZPD1Q5FCB14DDG. Offer ends 21 Sept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Only redeemable for XPS products over €699

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

No work. I have to order another one because the one I got was faulty

"10% discount on all Inspiron and XPS products over £699. Offer excludes XPS 13"

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Nice monitor on Amazon to match it. Could be a solid setup, with some more ram and a ssd too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008L5OGKQ/?tag=ho01f-21

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭ablelocks

finally caved and purchased today...

thanks op

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

I was hoping to use it with a wireless keyboard and mouse I already had - but the connectors do not match. Anybody got any advice? I presume I should not link it to monitor/TV until I have a keyboard/mouse installed? thanks for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

BabySlam wrote: »
    I was hoping to use it with a wireless keyboard and mouse I already had - but the connectors do not match. Anybody got any advice? I presume I should not link it to monitor/TV until I have a keyboard/mouse installed? thanks for any help

You can turn it on sure but you just can't use it. Dont you have a USB keyboard/mouse you could use temporarily until you can get wireless keyboard mouse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

Xcellor wrote: »
    You can turn it on sure but you just can't use it. Dont you have a USB keyboard/mouse you could use temporarily until you can get wireless keyboard mouse?

I will hunt around and see if I have those, thanks for the suggestion.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

Just ordered myself there!

My only concern is the difficultly of installing the upgrades and Win10.
    I think I may bump up the RAM to 8GB as that seems relatively easy to do, hopefully. Changing the hard drive seems more involved from what I have read, so I think I may just buy an external hard drive for storage. Not the neatest solution but until I'm more confident being able to execute the job it will do.

The upgrade to Win 10 seems to be a similarly tricky procedure from reading the comments in the atxgeek article linked above.

Still ~€240 in total for a new 8GB 128 SSD machine isn't too saucy I suppose....

I got keyboard and before try clean install of Windows 10 from pendrive trying to get in to recovery but f8 seems not work for me, can get to bios by f2 and boot confg by f12. Can someone try f8 recovery acces please? Maybe I press it in wrong moment or something:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭bromley52

Still ~€240 in total for a new 8GB 128 SSD machine isn't too saucy I suppose....

A €127 bargain seems to be a little bit less of a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

bromley52 wrote: »
    A €127 bargain seems to be a little bit less of a bargain.

It's grand if one has no plans to upgrade it...

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

It's grand if one has no plans to upgrade it...

What are the upgrade limitation? The RAM and storage can be upgraded, enough to satisfy my requirements at least, I hope!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Just wondering what everyone is planning on using their unit for?
    I've installed OpenELEC on mine and it's perfect, no noise, no lag and streams flawlessly from my NAS.
    No need for extra memory or swapping out SSD. Happy out!

Advertisement