Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to move out with friend

Options
  • 09-09-2015 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

A friend and myself are currently looking for a place to rent in South Dublin with 2 bedrooms. We're both 25 work the same type of job and earn a similar wage (around 1800-1900 a month).

Can anybody advise me on what I should be spending maximum on rent in relation to earnings?

It is our first time moving out of the homeplace and we understand that it will be more expensive but our commute to work will be a lot less expensive as a result...around the €1000 mark a month would be ideal but most places are €1200 plus...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

The rule of thumb I've heard is no more than a third of your earnings, so you're looking at a max of about 600 each. Having said that, renting in Dublin is an absolute nightmare at the moment, so you might be better taking what you can get and cutting costs in other areas (e.g. cycle to work, cook at home, pack lunch, etc).

Getting a third person to go in with you might make things a little cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Darraghgt4

cheers that sounds about right to me.. its such a pity rent is so expensive at the moment we are looking for a 3rd person but it can be hard to get somebody that you know you can be comfortable living with

we both live in wicklow and work in south dublin so may aswell live at home if we cant get somewhere for around 11 or 1200

Advertisement