Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adventurering...

• 09-09-2015 7:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

So... Haven't exercised in about 1/2 years apart from drumming. Took a notion to get back at it last Sunday doing 10-15 minutes a day with an app called '7 Minute'. Finding it great! Exercises are jumping jacks, wall sit, push ups, ab crunches, squats, plank, high knees & lunge. Then with the weights it's tri's, bi's and on the bench with 20KG for the first week.

I have cut out all sh!t food... replaced with fruit (apples, bananas, oranges) and veg (broccoli, carrots etc...) For dinner it's usually rice with onion, egg, chicken, broccoli, peas.

Last Sunday I weighed in at 120 KG :o and yesterday I was down to exactly 116 KG.

Would this be a decent loss in the first week? I know it mightened be 4 KG every week but I have my head tuned in so I'm in it for the long haul!!

Any tips/suggestions welcome :)
    Mightydrumming

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

4 kgs is a massive amount of weight to loose in a week. If you kept that up you'd weight 0 Kgs in 30 weeks... !

I didn't' realize drumming was considered an exercise. Does it really get your heart rate up? Or make your arms stronger? !

Anyway more than likely you didn't loose 4kgs of fat. If you've cut out a lot of salt then you may have lost water mostly.

Don't weight yourself every week. Do it every 3 weeks if you must. Don't pay too much attention to the figure just the trend ie flat or going downwards...or upwards ! Too many ppl get hung up on weighing themselves and become demotivated because of inaccurate results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

colossus-x wrote: »
    I didn't' realize drumming was considered an exercise. Does it really get your heart rate up? Or make your arms stronger? !

Anyway more than likely you didn't loose 4kgs of fat. If you've cut out a lot of salt then you may have lost water mostly.

Don't weight yourself every week. Do it every 3 weeks if you must. Don't pay too much attention to the figure just the trend ie flat or going downwards...or upwards ! Too many ppl get hung up on weighing themselves and become demotivated because of inaccurate results.

Thanks for that colossus :) For the drumming - It most definitely gets your heart rate up that's for sure lol!
    A study from Chichester University, and quoted in a 2008 article by the BBC, noted drummers can elevate their heart rate up to 190 beats per minute, which is comparable to the top heart rate that many elite athletes experience while playing their sport. The study revealed that drummers must have top-level endurance to perform.

Now that all depends on what your technique, speed etc.. I've been upping the intensity even more whilst playing the past few days.

For the salt, I'm not one for it to be honest but even at that - most of the foods I'm eating now would have little or no salt.

I'll do that for sure, sounds like a plan! I don't know why I haven't done this sooner, feeling great - I look forward to waking up every morning now lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,675 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It depends on the music I guess.

I remember Matt Helders from Arctic Monkeys taking up boxing training to help keep up the intensity for a show. Probably before a tour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

If your drumming technique is correct, then drumming really shouldn't have much of an effect on your overall fitness. Sticks should be controlled by the fingers with a little wrist action. However, if your just pounding away or playing some form of extreme metal with relentless double pedal action, then it can certainly work up a sweat, but that's it really.

Drummer in my band also plays in an extreme metal band and never really lost weight (and he drums a lot). He only had success losing weight when he took up cycling and muay thai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

If your drumming technique is correct, then drumming really shouldn't have much of an effect on your overall fitness. Sticks should be controlled by the fingers with a little wrist action. However, if your just pounding away or playing some form of extreme metal with relentless double pedal action, then it can certainly work up a sweat, but that's it really.

Drummer in my band also plays in an extreme metal band and never really lost weight (and he drums a lot). He only had success losing weight when he took up cycling and muay thai.

Or unless you're in def leppard

• Advertisement
Advertisement