Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ex-lodger saying he left games system here!?!?

• 09-09-2015 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Was Renting room in my place , chap moved out, been gone 3 months just got text from him sayin he forgot his PS3,,,, checked full place and texted him sayin cant find. Supposedly was 100 percent left in the press that houses the sky box and he will call the cops if i dont give him either the games system or money in lieu by friday !? !?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Let him call the cops. First thing they'll say is "its a civil matter now kindly fück off". Tell him its not there and never was and not to contact you again or you'll report him for harassment which is a Garda matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

If it's not there, it's not there. Tell him to call the 'cops' and explain the same to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Was Renting room in my place , chap moved out, been gone 3 months just got text from him sayin he forgot his PS3,,,, checked full place and texted him sayin cant find. Supposedly was 100 percent left in the press that houses the sky box and he will call the cops if i dont give him either the games system or money in lieu by friday !? !?

Let him ring away. How can you forget something for three months and yet be 100% it's in a certain press. Tell him you see it you'll let him know but otherwise you can't do anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Guards cant do much.
    If its not there, its not there.
    He cant prove he left it. Chancing his arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Do not reply.

Ignore him.

If you do reply text him saying he took all when he left.

Sounds like he's down on his luck and trying to scam some cash out of you. Tell him if the Guards arrive to the house, you'll make a complaint to them about his attempted extortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

By Friday? Two days?
    Tell him you never saw or touched it and it's not your problem, if he must call the cops then do so,

or

ask him for his new address and send the cops around to him. You could pop down to the guards your self and show them his text messages do they hear your side of it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Was Renting room in my place , chap moved out, been gone 3 months just got text from him sayin he forgot his PS3
    Either ignore him, or tell him that you're not his mammy responsible for him forgetting to bring his belongings with him.

Heck, you may even have thrown it in the trash when he left :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Did you change your locks when he moved out? If not. I would incase he had a spare set of keys cut. When we moved into our new house. About 9 months after we moved in, we heard someone trying to open the hall door. They opened the chubb, but not the barrel since we replaced that. I wouldnt be surprised, if he got keys cut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Did you change your locks when he moved out? If not. I would incase he had a spare set of keys cut. When we moved into our new house. About 9 months after we moved in, we heard someone trying to open the hall door. They opened the chubb, but not the barrel since we replaced that. I wouldnt be surprised, if he got keys cut
    What has this got to do with the op?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    What has this got to do with the op?
    The ex-lodger needs cash. If they have a spare key, I'd wonder will they come look for the PS3 themselves when the OP is at work? The ex-lodger has already shown that blackmail is not beneath them, so it's possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭booooring!

He's chancing him arm, First thing on Friday he'll ring ya and say he wants the price of the PS3 he left there. Tell him its not there, checked everywhere, theres nothing you can do and hang up the phone. Do not get into a conversation with him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

<snip>

OP, the ex-lodger is chancing his arm, as already said. Tell him he is welcome to contact the guards. I guarantee you, you'll not hear another peep out of him.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Definitely call his bluff on the cops thing. Youve nothing to hide even if they did take him seriously. I also agree that this demand out of the blue is something to be wary of. It will probably turn into nothing when he sees you cant be bullied, but it does smack of someone desperate for money and not thinking clearly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

OP- if there is any chance that the guy still has keys of the place- I'm sorry, but I'd be changing the locks. Its an expense that you might just have to take on the nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭by the seaside

OP- if there is any chance that the guy still has keys of the place- I'm sorry, but I'd be changing the locks. Its an expense that you might just have to take on the nose.

Absolutely change the locks. Block his phone no. as well if you can. Dialogue is unlikely to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

He is 100 % chancing his arm the fecker. Let him call the cops.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Snazzy_Chazzy

thanks for all replies... I told him no sign message back was ohh maybe simo took it thanks anyway!
    cheers lads