Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training in C++ / Java

Options
  • 09-09-2015 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭

Guys,

I'm a software engineer with over 10 years experience - exclusively in safety critical systems using propietary languages.

I've been made redundant and am now looking for a new job. Coming from such a niche area I'm finding that the required experience includes C++, Java, Python etc - languages that I've no experience in.

I'm not sure where I'll end up - in my mind I see embedded s/w as the natural fit, but I'm not sure if this is short sighted and I should open up to new areas inside and outside of software.

I've team lead work as well, but didn't really like it - although this might have been tainted by the company I was working within.

I'm wondering if there are training courses that I can go on to pick up either C++ or Java that would have some form of accreditation. I think my preference would be for C++ as it is used moreso in engineering and as it is a superset of C, if you can write in C++ you are most of the way there with C (is this a generally correct statement?).

Anyhow, what courses are out there (trainer based, non online) whereby I could book out 2 -5 days and get taught up on C++? I've been going through the CPP Institute online course for CPA, but it is very dry reading and not much interaction.

Any advise on this or possible paths to take in my career would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MaxDecMer

I'd encourage you to check out online courses from the likes of coursera,udacity,udemy etc. I've taken a few free courses online recently to supplement my learning in university and I found the material to be incredibly well organised, up to date, and easy to follow. One of the courses allowed me to write code and complete assignments/tasks in the browser. I think online learning is the future. Most paid courses provide you with a certificate when you finish. Many of these courses have been co-designed by major companies like google.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Just found a job advert today which was looking for

•ISTQB certification in Software Testing

www.istqb.org

Has anyone on here heard of this and/or whether it is something worth pursuing?

I've just spent some time going through the above links from Max. I've found some courses on C++ (Introductory), Agile and Software Architecture.

I've came to the conclusion that without experience of using a language in anger, then all I really want is to show an appreciation of the language and its basic principles. Hence why I'm trying to train up again in current architecture practices and hopefully some OOP.

Do you feel I am taking the correct approach here?

Is something like this worthwhile for learning OOP: https://www.udemy.com/c-programming-oops-concepts/

If you're not concerned about getting a certificate then there are lots of excellent courses on youtube also.
    Check out derek banas, I studied his design patterns video for Object Oriented design and they were extremely helpful.. 100 times more concise and effective than my classroom material.

Here is a quick course of his in c++: youtube.com/watch?v=Rub-JsjMhWY

His java tutorials: youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE7E8B7F4856C9B19

Also his java design patterns tutorials: youtube.com/watch?v=vNHpsC5ng_E&list=PLF206E906175C7E07

TheNewBoston is another great channel, heres his playlist for c++: youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAE85DE8440AA6B83

Heres a free udemy course with option of certificate (think you pay for): udemy.com/free-learn-c-tutorial-beginners/

One in java if you're interested: udemy.com/java-tutorial/

Java design patterns: udemy.com/java-design-patterns-tutorial/

If you take any of the above java courses and study design patterns aswell you'll have as much as me, a fresh university graduate.
    Again, all of the above tutorials are delivered way more effectively than any classroom taught course. You can learn in weeks what would take several semesters in university, that's what I'd say from experience.

Don't settle for a course with 4 stars, there are too many options. Check out the reviews and accept only 5 star courses. You shouldn't have to pay anything, only if you need a certificate. You'll find more tutorials and probably more jobs in java. I found it easier to learn than c++ but they have similarities if you wanted to learn the other in the future.

Thanks - I'll look into those.

I'm hoping to get something interactive like a Code Acadmey for C++. I've been following the C++ Institute CPA course and it is dry and as dull as ditchwater. No work involved other than reading boring slide packs.

• Advertisement

Ya most of the fully interactive courses available at the moment seem to be introductory.

Here's a semi interactive free intro course in java: udacity.com/course/intro-to-java-programming--cs046

Can't find one for c++.

Once you get past the introductory stuff and you want to practice, you'll find youtube project tutorials which you can follow at your own pace in eclipse or whatever code environment you'll be using. I'm following a java 2d game project at the moment which is helping me to improve, and it's entertaining. win-win :)

What about Agile training. I've been following the following which only relates to Scrum: https://www.udemy.com/scrum-methodology/learn/. It is pretty basic though.

There seems to be an opportunity to get a Certificate and registration http://www.scrumstudy.com/Scrum-Fundamentals-Certified.asp.

I'm not really sure that there is any point going for the following @ $100USD http://www.scrumstudy.com/scrum-developer-certification.asp.

THere are so many providers out there, that it is difficult to see whom are the respected and recognised awarding bodies and/or course providers - any ideas on how this can be determined?

Most employers seem to list agile and scrum methodologies, as well as other software development methodologies as advantageous but not required skills/knowledge. I'd imagine its something you won't really experience until you are in the workplace but it would help to understand the concepts beforehand. I was introduced to the theory of agile in a software development class, along with some other methodologies/practices, but only briefly. I would spend my time right now building experience and a project portfolio in java or c++.

Maybe someone else will have different advice. I have no professional experience yet, just a recent graduate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

C++ dev here. C'mon in, it's a great language :)

You've got 10 years experience in software, great! Given your position I'd highly recommend a live in-person training course. I'm sure there's loads out there, I had a great experience with Feabhas. Alternatively I'd pick up a book and start really exploring the language. Recommend Essential C++ or anything by Scott Meyers tbh. Given your experience I think a "this is how you do a for loop" would be a waste of time and something you can easily do for yourself with online tools. Sure start a thread here and we can help out :) I've a copy of Bjarne Stroustrup's "Tour of C++" by my desk, pretty light but a great reference for all the new stuff (lots of changes in C++ land since C++11 came out but don't worry about that yet). Tbh I wouldn't rate certs or anything like that for this. Seems like a complete waste of money to me and not something I've seen given any weight in industry. But I'm sure someone will be in to correct me on how things are in their place!

Unless you want to actually become a scrum master, I'd stay the hell away from any Agile training on offer. Read the wiki page on it, do a bit of a google search and know the different roles but tbh it's all guff imo. Be able to talk about it. We're software engineers, the methodology that others use to get us to produce stuff is constantly shifting and subject to the fashion of the day. Save your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Hmm looking at their site, all the upcoming stuff is in England. I'll have an ask around to see if anyone knows of other decent instructor training courses for C++ in Ireland.

Feel free to ask me any q's on any of this btw.

Also feel obliged to point out that there's more Java/.Net jobs around*. If immediate employment is a concern, it's worth taking offerings in your locale into account here.

*but not as much fun :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement