Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Logs Deriving

• 09-09-2015 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

What is y=lnx +x-2.
    Due to sickness I missed the whole logs chapter last year.
    Now I am slowly getting the rift of it
    Supposingly it says y=lnx is 1overx when derived.
    So when I derive the equation. Shouldnt the answer be 1.
    Since x and -2 being derived is 0.
    Otherwise looking at the laws of log there isnt one that shows. When a non log question is in it. E.g. +x-2.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Kayleigh..

Ehhh, if I remember correctly

lnx derived is 1/x
    -2 derived is 0
    x derived is 1

sooo it should be
    y' = (1/x)+1

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DA7800

For future reference, you shouldn't need to know the logs for differentiation (although in some cases manipulating the log rules will speed up the process).

Instead, go to page 25 of the formulae and tables book and all you need is in the box. It gives you the derivative of ln(x) as 1/x, and all of the other methods are there as well.

Rules for logs can be found on page 21 for when you need them.

Hope it helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

DA7800 wrote: »
    For future reference, you shouldn't need to know the logs for differentiation (although in some cases manipulating the log rules will speed up the process).

Instead, go to page 25 of the formulae and tables book and all you need is in the box. It gives you the derivative of ln(x) as 1/x, and all of the other methods are there as well.

Rules for logs can be found on page 21 for when you need them.

Hope it helps!

Yes thank you

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement