Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there someone I can consult with about US visas?

Options
  • 09-09-2015 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm an Irish citizen living in Dublin.

The girlfriend's American, and we're talking about living together there. I know I can be there for 3 months without a Visa, but I want to be there longer than that.

I'm wondering what the best way to go about this is: apply for a J-visa? Get a job offer in the States? (I'm pretty sure I could get that through friends.) So I'm thinking there must be experts on this who can advise me. Is there a number I can call to get advice on how to get a visa?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

TBH - your best bet is marrying your GF. It still won't be immediate, but you can start the process as soon as you tie the knot, and be in on your green card within a year or so

Work:
    Are you recently finished college? If so you may be able to do J1...but that is only for a year.

Skilled professional? You need to find a job that will sponsor the H1B visa, one that costs about 10K (that you can't pay yourself) and do a job that no american can do - can be renewed every year for unto 7 years .Job offer through friends won't cut it - they have to go through a DOL certification that there is no one that can do the job

If you already have a job, does your company have an office in the US? If so...L1 visa

short of marrying or winning the visa lottery...options are horrifically limited

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Hundryl

Superb answer. Thanks for the info.

What about if I apply to a US college?

PS: is there a nonworker visa category that would allow me to stay longer than the 3 months I get on the visa waiver program, but not work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Hundryl wrote: »
    Superb answer. Thanks for the info.

What about if I apply to a US college?

PS: is there a nonworker visa category that would allow me to stay longer than the 3 months I get on the visa waiver program, but not work?

Yes you can...but the money for US colleges are off the charts - also you can only work x amount of hours on campus.

There is the b1/b2 visa category, but you are in a bit of a catch 22 with this one. If you apply and are denied, you can never use visa waiver again. However, when you apply you are asked why you aren't going on the waiver, and wanting to spend a bit more time with your GF is a red flag.

With the b1/b2 you can only stay for 6 months at a time - and the common rule of thumb is to stay out of the country for at least as long as you have been in the country (so leaving on the last day, weekend in Ireland then trying to re-enter will get you taken into secondary questioning)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

America is the biggest balls when it comes to trying to live there. as the other poster said, either J1 or marriage ( you can always get divorced :P )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Moving from Living Abroad to USA forum for more country specific experiences

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Community college might be an option?

The first year will be expensive but I think once you've done a year you qualify as a resident and get smaller fees. I think that's the gist of it here in CA anyway (not entirely sure how it works).

• Registered Users Posts: 41 CompositeJohn

I've been in your position with my now wife - first her living in Ireland, H1B visa in the US and finally marriage.

H1B is honestly difficult to obtain without some contacts, and I work in Tech/Aerospace where its more common than many industries. I looked without success prior to deciding it would be easier for her to move over to Ireland. But two years later, I lucked out with a H1B through a former boss. That said H1B is not a wonderful position to be in either as it is very restrictive and quite stressful if your job is less than secure as you have to return home (almost immediately) if employment is terminated.

I also have friends that have done the 1 year J1 visa, transferred to H1B with same company and eventually got married and subsequent green card.

Without marriage, permanent residence after a 7 year stint on H1B is near impossible unless you persuade your company to sponsor you for a greencard.

Community college would be the best Student option (any sporting prowess to gain scholarships?) but as a student visa holder I dont believe you will get resident tuition. Even as a H1B holder it was a little weird for me when I took classes. I had lived here 3 years but didnt get the resident / instate tuition rate, I was in some weird class with children of undocumented immigrants, so not quite full on foreign student but still more than norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Word of warning, the H1B is a lottery, if you enter you have 1 in 4 odds of getting it.

Advertisement