Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Poor Fuel Quality in Applegreen?

Options
  • 09-09-2015 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

Has anyone noticed poor or low quality petrol in Applegreen stations? I fill my tank on the N7 lately and the car started randomly cutting out. After a few days I refilled at a non-applegreen station and had no more instances. That was 6 weeks ago. I tried applegreen again yesterday (in Balllinteer, Dublin 16) for the first time since and the car started to cut out again.

Just wondering if others have came across this?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

They do have a reputation for that.
    Personally id spend a few extra quid and fill the car at a better branded station. modern diesels dont like dirty or dodgy fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

They don't have a reputation for 'that'

Applegreen are the most professionally run service stations in this country, the spec of their equipment is the highest it can be. They are a stock exchange listed company and their fuel is absolutely without question.

I have zero affiliation with them. I am just a envious competitor of theirs

OP I can guarantee you there is no way in gods earth that they are selling fuel that you should be concerned over. Especially in two different sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭micks_address

I've never had problems with applegreen fuel and i used to fill all the time there.. i did notice though once after filling up at esso (diesel) that I was getting about 70km more from the full tank... i thought it was a fluke so switched over and back a few times and the results were consistent.. for some reason my car gets more mpg from esso diesel than applegreen...

I remember chatting to my father in law about it (he ran a petrol station for years) His take was that esso and likes put additives in their fuel so they burn cleaner...

I have no idea if this is valid or not..

The only time ive ever had trouble with diesel was a independent garage - filled there once and the car went into limp mode.. had the fuel filter replaced (wasnt overly dirty) Never went back there again

Cheers,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

Personally OP, i would be getting my car checked out if it is cutting out like that rather than thinking its applegreen fuel.

I have got to the stage where i now use applegreen diesel exclusively, after trying out the other brands.

Applegreen is the top brand for me now. I reckon there is a much better chance of equal fuel regardless of filling station with applegreen than esso, topaz and the like.

My mpg with applegreen is better than others also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

When I drove a diesel car it ran terribly on applegreen diesel. I don't notice a huge difference using their petrol but having lost confidence in the brand I tend to avoid them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

The only problem I ever had with diesel was when I filled it with petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

My old Integra Type R ran like ****e on Applegreen petrol the few times I tried it. It suffered power losses, stuttering about and it messed up when VTEC kicked in, yo.

Problems disappeared soon after going back to Texaco or Maxol.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Its all a bit odd really..
    My X-Trail runs better on Applegreen diesel than anything else I can get around, know a few others who only fill there too..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

OSI wrote: »
    They do actually. If you search this forum there's a number of threads on here relating to people getting poor performance from Applegreen fuel, as well as plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest similar.

If you search boards you'll find people who believe in aliens, think vaccines cause autism and like Gerry Adams.

I've seen people here claim they get 30% better fuel economy from a different brand, even though it all comes from the same sources. It's nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

9935452 wrote: »
    They do have a reputation for that.
    Personally id spend a few extra quid and fill the car at a better branded station. modern diesels dont like dirty or dodgy fuel

never once heard such a thing about applegreen

nearest service station to me is applegreen... never experienced anything like what the OP experienced..

And they are always a few pence cheaper than the likes of redacted's Topaz

all anecdotal like... I haven't conducted even the tiniest bit of scientific analysis

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If you search boards you'll find people who believe in aliens, think vaccines cause autism and like Gerry Adams.

:D:D

A lot of what is said here makes sense. There are differing grades of fuel available and as stated above some companies have additives that are claimed to offer superior KPG.

Who do reckon is the best fuel company available? (to clarify, before somebody mentions "Paddy's coal yard", I am talking about petrol and diesel).

lawred2 wrote: »
    And they are always a few pence cheaper than the likes of redacted's Topaz

That is why some people distrust them: "if they are consistently cheaper, they must be crap" goes the thinking.

And of course, some unbranded stations which are cheap really do sell illegal washed stuff. But Applegreen are not unbranded fly-by-nights.

No affiliation here, I just buy all my fuel there because it is cheaper. 300,000 km up on the S-Max and no issues with Applegreen's diesel.

galljga1 wrote: »
    There are differing grades of fuel available

Are there? Where can I read about the different grades of diesel for sale in Ireland?

OSI wrote: »
    The poster said they don't have a reputation. The fact that numerous threads about the same subject with multiple people stating the same thing, would suggest they do.

I've seen threads about other brands, too, positive and negative, but it's all nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I worked for a publican many moons ago who had a terrible habit of putting Grant's vodka in Smirnoff bottles. I asked him why he did it, and he said it's because it tastes better than it does out of Huzzar bottles. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Are there?

Washed and unwashed??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

dinhthanh wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed poor or low quality petrol in Applegreen stations?

personally.. for me, no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭316

Its all imagninaton, thinking a vehicle is running better when getting fuel from one service station to another, people need to get a sample tested to verify these assumptions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

There's been a few polls done on here over the years and the results are always pretty much the same

Heres one for example.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93572238

Applegreen never does to good. Maxol always tops it.

I'd stand by it to Maxol always gives my car more miles, runs smoother and better performance.

Are there? Where can I read about the different grades of diesel for sale in Ireland?

Re diesel, when refueling, I have never really looked to see whether there is a difference. With petrol, a lot of garages high light the octane value of petrol. I have never noticed any garage high lighting the cetane rating of diesel. There are differing ratings and summer/winter grade differences but to be honest, I just fill up when necessary from one of a number of places including Applegreen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭5W30

I always fill my car to the brim at the Applegreen in N7.

I used to buy petrol, now I buy diesel. Never had any issues, they are a very good example of how a petrol station should be run.

The best thing you can really do is just fuel up at a different station each time to make sure you get an even spread of qualities of fuel.

5W30 wrote: »
    I always fill my car to the brim at the Applegreen in N7.

I used to buy petrol, now I buy diesel. Never had any issues, they are a very good example of how a petrol station should be run.

The best thing you can really do is just fuel up at a different station each time to make sure you get an even spread of qualities of fuel.

There you have it, fuel advice from an engine oil, enough said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭5W30

galljga1 wrote: »
    There you have it, fuel advice from an engine oil, enough said.

I would post a Castrol approval seal but I cannot post images :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭youtheman

Funny, thing, all the fuel comes out of the same refinery. Go figure !.

youtheman wrote: »
    Funny, thing, all the fuel comes out of the same refinery. Go figure !.

In fairness, the different companies add chemistry-type stuff with cool names like Techron (which are actually detergents), which help keep your engine clean.

But there's no way any of that would cause a difference in power you could feel behind the wheel as many people report, or a 20% economy improvement in one tank. That stuff is all in people's heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭Guffy

Applegreen and tesco have the same fuel. They both buy from topaz but it untreated by topaz. Its a low grade fuel in comparison to the topaz stations

gufc21 wrote: »
    Its a low grade fuel in comparison to the topaz stations

Low grade how? What is the standard you are using? Let's see some numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

My logic for not trusting AppleGreen fuel is that the local one's manager comes to us for fuel, even though they're cheaper...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement