Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Poor Fuel Quality in Applegreen?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

RX8 is very sensitive to poor fuel...

Got a bad fill out of a Maxol once and it basically ran like crap with weak starting issues and occasional misfires all the way through Wexford until getting a full tank at another station. Ran like a rocketship on Esso. Runs fine on Topaz -

Doesn't seem to matter where the petrol's bought.... a bit of water in the tank, or a dirty tankerload and it'll run like bollox

Except on Applegreens. It seems to have taken a hatred to Applegreens. Still. Cheap lawnmower fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

I've posted about this before , I used applegreen petrol for years with no problems at trackdays . One of the lads who normally fills up at esso just happened to fill at applegreen one morning and was saying his bike felt like it was down on power and said it was the petrol . The next day out I filled the tank in applegreen and filled a jerry can in esso and ran the bike back to back with the different petrol . With the esso petrol the bike revved smoother and it felt like I had added octane booster to the tank , I couldn't believe the difference .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

OSI wrote: »
    They do actually. If you search this forum there's a number of threads on here relating to people getting poor performance from Applegreen fuel, as well as plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest similar.

I reckon Denis O'Brien siphons a bit of diesel from your car when you're inside paying for it. That's why some claim to get better mpg at other stations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

jay48 wrote: »
    I used applegreen petrol for years with no problems at trackdays .

With the esso petrol the bike revved smoother I couldn't believe the difference .

No disrespect Jay but you've kinda contradicted yourself there lad

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I won't name the station but when i filled my 2.0L TDI with petrol, the engine started to shudder as i drove away from the station. Obviously the fuel was to blame :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭5W30

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I won't name the station but when i filled my 2.0L TDI with petrol, the engine started to shudder as i drove away from the station. Obviously the fuel was to blame :mad:

Try water next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

Jesus. wrote: »
    No disrespect Jay but you've kinda contradicted yourself there lad

How'd you figure that ? I didn't realise there was a difference till I tried the esso petrol and then I realised there is definetly a difference , no contradiction there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Bandara wrote: »
    Not really tbh, they are all the same stock formulas in the additives. No one has some 'magic potion' that makes theirs better. It's a bit like premier diaries and avonmore milk in a way. Two different brands, both from the same production plant and are essentially the same thing in a different bottle

Texaco's "Techron" additive brew is highly regarded. I use nearly all Texaco petrol myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

markg1984 wrote: »
    Hi,

Has anyone noticed poor or low quality petrol in Applegreen stations? I fill my tank on the N7 lately and the car started randomly cutting out. After a few days I refilled at a non-applegreen station and had no more instances. That was 6 weeks ago. I tried applegreen again yesterday (in Balllinteer, Dublin 16) for the first time since and the car started to cut out again.

Just wondering if others have came across this?

I use TOPAZ only,same garage last few years ,no prob,you're car needs checked,, might be water/ moisture in tank

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

jimgoose wrote: »
    Texaco's "Techron" additive brew is highly regarded. I use nearly all Texaco petrol myself.
    Are you sure techron is still added to their Irish petrol?
    http://texaco.ie/Motorists/Pages/Our%20Motor%20Fuels.aspx

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote: »
    Are you sure techron is still added to their Irish petrol?
    http://texaco.ie/Motorists/Pages/Our%20Motor%20Fuels.aspx

I think that Valero crowd might be a bad influence - I think they only bough the Texaco forecourt banner, and not a license to use Chevron's Techron magic. They're a Tier-1 supplier these days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

My recent Applegreen experience....coming down the M7 from Dublin toward Limerick I thought I would make it.... went past Obama services whilst keeping a close eye on KM left.... then the number of KM left started dropping like a stone until it got to -- on the display so basically made it to Birdhill Applegreen with an empty tank.

Left the engine running, put in €20 unleaded.... I hadn't got out of the service area and car started running rough, engine light on and basically running like a pig... horrible! Filled with another brand following day and rough running gradually improved. Can't say 100% it was down to the fuel but it seems like a helluva coincidence.

My recent Applegreen experience....coming down the M7 from Dublin toward Limerick I thought I would make it.... went past Obama services whilst keeping a close eye on KM left.... then the number of KM left started dropping like a stone until it got to -- on the display so basically made it to Birdhill Applegreen with an empty tank.

Left the engine running, put in €20 unleaded.... I hadn't got out of the service area and car started running rough, engine light on and basically running like a pig... horrible! Filled with another brand following day and rough running gradually improved. Can't say 100% it was down to the fuel but it seems like a helluva coincidence.

Probably because you ran it down on petrol way too much.

There is an orange fuel light for that exact reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Yeah, I go for Texaco because I genuinely believe I can feel the difference, but as I said earlier, I can't back this up with evidence.

Yeah, I go for Texaco because I genuinely believe I can feel the difference, but as I said earlier, I can't back this up with evidence.

Well, I'm comfortable enough with Ol' J.R. and it's not like I have much choice. The old reliables like Shell and Maxol are few and far-between these days, Topaz is Fathead O'Brien city and every time I see one of these new-fangled places like Apple Green or Great Gas I start hearing Monaghan accents discussing badly-distilled methanol in my head and get an urge to stop the car and throw things at them. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

Well, I'm comfortable enough with Ol' J.R. and it's not like I have much choice. The old reliables like Shell and Maxol are few and far-between these days, Topaz is Fathead O'Brien city and every time I see one of these new-fangled places like Apple Green or Great Gas I start hearing Monaghan accents discussing badly-distilled methanol in my head and get an urge to stop the car and throw things at them. :pac:

Shows how much you know if you think shell are still in Ireland!!

Crumbs868 wrote: »

"The old reliables like Shell and Maxol are few and far-between these days"

Read it again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Whenever there's discussion about fuel a massive amount of crap gets talked about.

Its like saying kellogs cornflakes taste different if bought from tesco rather than dunnes.

Applegreen don't refine fuel, neither does topaz or maxol or any of the others.

It all comes from the EXACT same refineries. Usually Pembroke or whiddy in Cork.

Some places add additives - most people don't believe additives do anything for modern engines.

Fuel has imperfections. Usually the filters sort that out. If you rarely go below 1/4 tank and then suddenly go near empty, the build up of deposits may cause temporary issues.

Not servicing the car properly will also cause issues.

But on fuel, it is the same stuff, stored in the same massive storage tanks that gets to all the garages no matter what name is over the door.

delahuntv wrote: »
    Whenever there's discussion about fuel a massive amount of crap gets talked about.

Its like saying kellogs cornflakes taste different if bought from tesco rather than dunnes.

It all comes from the EXACT same refineries. Usually Pembroke or whiddy in Cork.

Some places add additives - most people don't believe additives do anything for modern engines.

Fuel has imperfections. Usually the filters sort that out. If you rarely go below 1/4 tank and then suddenly go near empty, the build up of deposits may cause temporary issues.

But on fuel, it is the same stuff, stored in the same massive storage tanks that gets to all the garages no matter what name is over the door.

I think it's more of a placebo effect on people. Better known brand = better fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I would agree with you, but personally I can't ignore or deny my own experience. As you say, it's all petrol from the same refineries so maybe there is a difference introduced unintentionally at specific garages.. I really don't know. Maybe if my local stations all swapped premises', the "good stuff" would still come from the same place regardless of the brand. :)

Nothing like Corn Flakes BTW. If they were emptied out of the boxes and repackaged by each retailer you might have something. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I really don't get why people keep contradicting themselves like this saying "its all the exact same" and then go on to say "they add different additives".

pippip wrote: »
    I really don't get why people keep contradicting themselves like this saying "its all the exact same" and then go on to say "they add different additives".

Additives don't make the fuel quality bad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

The source of the fuel differs very little. The condition of the underground tanks can vary and that's where you can get water contamination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

pippip wrote: »

Using cornflakes example.

Add reg milk, super milk, skimmed milk, soy milk. The cornflakes are the same.

Additives do nothing for modern engines and brand claims are based on lab conditions - i don't drive in lab conditions.

Google fuel refining and you'll get plenty of info.

Or if in Dublin, go down to alexandra quay and look at the massive tanks full of fuel. - And then watch all the different tankers fill up from the exact same tank.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

5W30 wrote: »
    Additives don't make the fuel quality bad though.

Presumably they make it better or else why add them?

Jesus. wrote: »
    Presumably they make it better or else why add them?

Exactly.

The problem is contaminations and washed green diesel.

Crumbs868 wrote: »

I do apologise, I seem to have mislaid the email wherein they told me the jig was up. I was probably preoccupied trying to find a Statoil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Using cornflakes example.

Add reg milk, super milk, skimmed milk, soy milk. The cornflakes are the same.

Additives do nothing for modern engines and brand claims are based on lab conditions - i don't drive in lab conditions.

Google fuel refining and you'll get plenty of info.

Or if in Dublin, go down to alexandra quay and look at the massive tanks full of fuel. - And then watch all the different tankers fill up from the exact same tank.

That's exactly my point, cornflakes are all the same but the kind of milk you use may effect you differently health wise.

Like I mentioned earlier, I fill up at the exact station OP mentioned every week and I have never had any problems. Must be your car or you ran it down too low on fuel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

In fairness to Applegreen I have to say my issue turns out to be misfire on cylinder 6, bad coil.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement