Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potentially Moving to Dublin

Options
  • 09-09-2015 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭

Hi,

There is a possibility that I may be moving to Ireland for work early next year and in all likelihood this would be Dublin (I work in software).

I know very little about the property market there - apart from it is begining to heat up again - and was wondering what sort of outlay would be a 1 bed apartment in a nice area. I've no ideas as to whether I'd be looking Northside or Southside or central.

• What should I expect to pay out for a lease on a 1 bed apartment?
    • How long are leases typically? If 1 yr or more, can they get cancelled easily?
    • Are apartments furnished?
    • What level of salary is needed to make Dublin workable with a comfortable lifestyle and the ability to save some money every month?

Anything else I'm overlooking? I just want to make sure that I don't overlook something that makes the move unfeasible.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hi,

There is a possibility that I may be moving to Ireland for work early next year and in all likelihood this would be Dublin (I work in software).

I know very little about the property market there - apart from it is begining to heat up again - and was wondering what sort of outlay would be a 1 bed apartment in a nice area. I've no ideas as to whether I'd be looking Northside or Southside or central.

• What should I expect to pay out for a lease on a 1 bed apartment?
    • How long are leases typically? If 1 yr or more, can they get cancelled easily?
    • Are apartments furnished?
    • What level of salary is needed to make Dublin workable with a comfortable lifestyle and the ability to save some money every month?

Anything else I'm overlooking? I just want to make sure that I don't overlook something that makes the move unfeasible.

Thanks.

Rent on s 1 bed around 1200
    Generally it's a 1 year lease, most landlords would be flexible.
    Nearly all are furnished.
    Salary wise would be very subjective, I'd say to live comfortably and save 65K+
    Tax here is higher than you might be used too. Here's a tax calculator http://services.deloitte.ie/tc/

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

[*]What should I expect to pay out for a lease on a 1 bed apartment?

1200-1400 for a good place, 800-1100 for a fairly basic place and 2k for a swinging pad. Per month.
    [*]How long are leases typically? If 1 yr or more, can they get cancelled easily?

1 year is standard. If you have to move within that time, you can break the lease if you find a suitable assignee and the landlord refuses to let you assign the lease. So not too hard in a housing shortage market.
    *]Are apartments furnished?

Usually but its not mandatory.
    *]What level of salary is needed to make Dublin workable with a comfortable lifestyle and the ability to save some money every month?

45-50k should allow a single person to rent an apartment by themselves in a good area and have enough for a good lifestyle and a bit of savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Thanks for the info. Would these be purpose built apartments or converted houses?

Jesus - the taxes are high! I'm sure there would be additional fees & taxes to pay too associated with property and health etc too :(

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Share an apartment, you'll want to meet new people

Contract. If you're j2ee / spring / hibernate / etc whatever buzz skill, you'll take 350-450 a day comfortably and you'll have allowable expenses.

Bargain hard if you're going permanent, and don't believe the brightwater and Morgan mckinlay salary surveys. Theses are salary scales for competent workers, not stronger candidates. If you're honestly good at what you do (appraise yourself honestly, how are you measured against your peers currently), then push on money.

1 beds are a rip off in Ireland and accommodation is already a drain on otherwise good salaries

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thanks for the info. Would these be purpose built apartments or converted houses?

Jesus - the taxes are high! I'm sure there would be additional fees & taxes to pay too associated with property and health etc too :(

Thanks.

If you want any sort of decent healtcare you'll pay at least 100 euro a month for it.

No property taxes, but you pay for all utilities like electricity, heat, water and refuse removal on top of rent. Internet and tv access also

• Advertisement
Advertisement