Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI discontinuing VISA cards?

Options
  • 10-09-2015 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

Folk

I received a letter from BOI today, to the effect that VISA credit cards were being withdrawn by the bank and would be replaced by Mastercard.

The letter doesn't really explain why this is happening. I'd have thought that VISA was the more popular and widely accepted of the two, and the change seems to mean that all direct debits set up against existing cards will need to be changed by customers.

What is the background to this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Balf wrote: »
    Folk

I received a letter from BOI today, to the effect that VISA credit cards were being withdrawn by the bank and would be replaced by Mastercard.

The letter doesn't really explain why this is happening. I'd have thought that VISA was the more popular and widely accepted of the two, and the change seems to mean that all direct debits set up against existing cards will need to be changed by customers.

Hi Balf,

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards. 

We are migrating to Mastercard in order to offer enhanced features to our Credit Card customers including installment plans and the option of contactless payments. You can find further details on our Mastercard Migration here

Please note that all credit card limits, APR's and Terms and Conditions will remain the same when your account is migrated to MasterCard. You will not need to change any details of your Direct Debit payment and if you have your credit card set up for viewing on 365 Online, or as a bill payee, these will update automatically. However please note that if you have any direct debits or subscription payments set up using your old credit card, it will be necessary for you to provide the company with your new card details. 

Please let us know if we can help you with any other query. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Folk

Hi Balf,

We are migrating to Mastercard in order to offer enhanced features to our Credit Card customers including installment plans and the option of contactless payments. You can find further details on our Mastercard Migration here

Please note that all credit card limits, APR's and Terms and Conditions will remain the same when your account is migrated to MasterCard. You will not need to change any details of your Direct Debit payment and if you have your credit card set up for viewing on 365 Online, or as a bill payee, these will update automatically. However please note that if you have any direct debits or subscription payments set up using your old credit card, it will be necessary for you to provide the company with your new card details. 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Well this is going to be a pain in the hoop!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Folk

Hi Balf,

Thanks,
    Sarah
    will everything remain the same?    anything that'll work out differently?

if I had 100 euro in a betting account will I still be able to withdraw funds back to a mastercard?
    this is the reason I cancelled a mastercard many years back 

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Only a couple of months ago I was persuaded by a BoI official to switch from my Mastercard to the Trinity affiliate Visa card. Had to change all the various accounts I have to use the new card. Now you're saying effectively I shouldn't have bothered because you're pushing me back to the Mastercard I was persuaded to switch from?

Why are Bank of Ireland not issuing Visa cards any longer?

no actual answer to the question I posed using that link or the the question above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

will there be any change in the use of visa debit cards? thank you

mailburner wrote: »
    Why are Bank of Ireland not issuing Visa cards any longer?

no actual answer to the question I posed using that link or the the question above
    Hi mailburner,

Thanks for your post. 

As mentioned above we can confirm that all credit card limits, APR's and Terms and Conditions will remain the same when your account is migrated to MasterCard. The migration allows us to offer you enhanced features with Mastercard. In relation to your query regarding your betting account, if the company does not deal with Mastercard, regrettably this would be out of our control. 

If you would like to discuss other credit card products please feel free to call our representatives on 1890 365 100.

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Visa cards have contactless as well so that's a non-issue.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I'd like the answer to this too.

It's actually Mastercard who won't deal with gambling sites. You can lodge funds to gambling sites with mastercards but not withdraw. Some religious crap about proceeds of gambling iirc.

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »
    Only a couple of months ago I was persuaded by a BoI official to switch from my Mastercard to the Trinity affiliate Visa card. Had to change all the various accounts I have to use the new card.  Now you're saying effectively I shouldn't have bothered because you're pushing me back to the Mastercard I was persuaded to switch from?
    Hi ixoy,

Thanks for your post. 

We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused. If you would like to discuss your account, please call our Credit card team on 1890 365 100, who will be happy to discuss this further with you. The advantages of this migration, as I have mentioned above, are detailed further at this link

Thanks,
    Sarah

Orion wrote: »
    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I'd like the answer to this too.
    Hi Wanderer78 and Orion,

There is no change to the use Visa Debit cards in this migration. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

Orion wrote: »
    It's actually Mastercard who won't deal with gambling sites. You can lodge funds to gambling sites with mastercards but not withdraw. Some religious crap about proceeds of gambling iirc.
    paddy power and bet365 assure me you can now
    I always thought the opposite,  betvictor on the other hand you cant

been 10+yrs since I had one though

• Registered Users Posts: 29,980 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Hello,

A pre-authorisation \ shadow transaction has been placed on my current BOI visa card in order to make a reservation.
    The card itself will not be charged until late October and I don't expect any new transactions in relation to the reservation.

Can a BOI rep explain what will happen if the company I have made the reservation with attempts to charge the Visa card in late October?
    I understand the Mastercard rollout starts from October 3rd, and current Visa card is supposed to be valid for 30 days from that date so I am hoping I don't need to take any action.

I imagine this will be a common scenario for anyone who has used their current Visa card to make a hotel \ restaurant reservations etc.

Thanks for your consideration.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Hello,

A pre-authorisation \ shadow transaction has been placed on my current BOI visa card in order to make a reservation.
    The card itself will not be charged until late October and I don't expect any new transactions in relation to the reservation.

Can a BOI rep explain what will happen if the company I have made the reservation with attempts to charge the Visa card in late October?
    I understand the Mastercard rollout starts from October 3rd, and current Visa card is supposed to be valid for 30 days from that date so I am hoping I don't need to take any action.

I imagine this will be a common scenario for anyone who has used their current Visa card to make a hotel \ restaurant reservations etc.

Good Morning odyssey06, 

Thank you for getting in contact with us here on Boards.ie.

We're looking to this at the moment and will get back to you here on Monday with an update. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Hello,

Good Morning odyssey06, 

We have checked this for you and can confirm that deactivation will mean that no transactions on the old card will be authorised 30 days after the new card is issued. If the reservation date is outside of this 30 day window it would be necessary to contact the merchant to amend your card details. 

We hope this helps clarify your query and if we can assist with anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us again. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

Where can I get data on acceptance rates of mastercard vs. visa in Ireland and Europe?  I always assumed that visa had greater reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Can I migrate my VISA account to a Bank that still issues Visa cards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara P

Where can I get data on acceptance rates of mastercard vs. visa in Ireland and Europe?  I always assumed that visa had greater reach.
    Hi Love nor money,

Thank you for contacting us here on Boards.ie.

We are migrating to Mastercard in order to offer enhanced features to our Credit Card customers including installment plans and the option of contactless payments. For more information on our migration to Mastercard see here

We would not have this information here however if you check the Mastercard website this will provide you with information on Mastercard acceptance.

Hope this helps,

Tara C

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Can I migrate my VISA account to a Bank that still issues Visa cards?
    Hi Poochie05,

For information on our migration to Mastercard see here.

If you are unhappy to change to Mastercard and wish to change your card provider please contact Credit card services on 0818251251 and representative will be happy to assist you.

Thanks,

Tara C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 cpio

With contactless payments a new burden of liability has been placed on the cardholder. It's possible for someone to 'borrow' or steal your card and make unauthorised purchases. You might not want to report these as card misuse as the perpetrator may be a friend or a child. And if it's a business credit card there's the assosicated overhead of undoing these transactions in the company's accounts. A complete pain in the nads. This may even happen accidentally if you have more than one NFC enabled card in your wallet.

If BOI do not provide us with an opt-out for contactless payments it's going to be open season for homebrew card modifications and mutilations in order to disable the NFC circuits but keep Chip and Pin functionality.

cpio wrote: »
    With contactless payments a new burden of liability has been placed on the cardholder. It's possible for someone to 'borrow' or steal your card and make unauthorised purchases. You might not want to report these as card misuse as the perpetrator may be a friend or a child. And if it's a business credit card there's the assosicated overhead of undoing these transactions in the company's accounts. A complete pain in the nads. This may even happen accidentally if you have more than one NFC enabled card in your wallet.

If BOI do not provide us with an opt-out for contactless payments it's going to be open season for homebrew card modifications and mutilations in order to disable the NFC circuits but keep Chip and Pin functionality.
    Hi cpio,

Apologies for the delay in replying to your query.

All MasterCards issued will be contactless. Please be assure there are a number of additional fraud prevention measures associated with the contactless cards. We would always strongly recommend that your card (Credit and Debit) is kept securely and if your card was to become lost or stolen that you call our 24hour lost and stolen cards team on 1890706706 or 00353567757007 to have your card cancelled immediately.
    A terminal will not process a transaction if two or more contactless cards are presented at the Point of Sale.

Hope this information helps,

Thanks,

Tara C

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

Hi, are you sure there no option to continue to use the Affinity cards after the switch?

I see by this document (Dated September 2015) that say they are still available to order today?

(in your terms and conditions page here)
    https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/borrow/credit-cards/affinity-cards/
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]Download Affinity and Gold Affinity Credit Card Terms and Conditions effective from September 2015[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]here.[/font]

https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/fs/doc/wysiwyg/omi002503-cou-9-affinity-and-gold-gws-tandc-final-pdf.pdf

thanks.

“Roll it back”

ozmo wrote: »
    Hi, are you sure there no option to continue to use the Affinity cards after the switch?

I see by this document (Dated September 2015) that say they are still available to order today?

(in your terms and conditions page here)
    https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/borrow/credit-cards/affinity-cards/
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]Download Affinity and Gold Affinity Credit Card Terms and Conditions effective from September 2015[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]here.[/font]

https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/fs/doc/wysiwyg/omi002503-cou-9-affinity-and-gold-gws-tandc-final-pdf.pdf

thanks.
    Good Afternoon Ozmo, 

Our current Visa Affinity products will be migrating to MasterCard. New customers can still apply for Affinity cards however, the cards issued will be MasterCard and not Visa. 

I hope this helps clarify this for you. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

New customers can still apply for Affinity cards however, the cards issued will be MasterCard and not Visa.
    I hope this helps clarify this for you. 
    Sort of, I think - I was given this conflicting information earlier this week by PM.
    [font=arial, sans-serif]Bank of Ireland have made a business decision to engage MasterCard as our sole credit card scheme....[/font][font=arial, sans-serif].The Trinity credit cards will no longer be available as a result of this migration.[/font]

But happy to see it is now a feature we wont loose - when you say "can still apply" does this mean someone with an Affinity card needs reapply for a new Affinity card or will it be automatically set up?
    Thanks.

“Roll it back”

Hi Ozmo, 

Apologies for any conflicting information given. 

We can confirm that existing Affinity customers will be automatically migrated to the MasterCard version. 

Again, we hope this helps. 

Elaine

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

This change may come as a surprise to someone who is travelling for 6 or 8 weeks and who has a card with 2017 written on it and no inkiling that Bank of Ireland is going to cancel it.

Can I make a positive suggestion, that Bank of Ireland send a simple text to customers stating that a new card has been sent and that the old one will expire on whatever date. This will both alert customers at home to any card lost in the post and will alert those travelling to inform you not to turn off the old card or whatever. A further reminder text might be sent to people who do not start using the new card, before the old one dies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Helen

This change may come as a surprise to someone who is travelling for 6 or 8 weeks and who has a card with 2017 written on it and no inkiling that Bank of Ireland is going to cancel it.

Can I make a positive suggestion, that Bank of Ireland send a simple text to customers stating that a new card has been sent and that the old one will expire on whatever date. This will both alert customers at home to any card lost in the post and will alert those travelling to inform you not to turn off the old card or whatever. A further reminder text might be sent to people who do not start using the new card, before the old one dies.
    Hi Nichard Dixon,

Thank you for contacting us here on Boards.

We really appreciate your feedback and will certainly pass it on to the relevant department.

Have a good day and if there is anything else we can help you with please don't hesitate in contacting us again.

Helen 

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

Hi,
    I also received this lette, no problem as my Visa card expires at the end of October anyway, but I went to use it recently and it said Card Blocked, are these connected ? If not I am wondering why this happened ? Also when will I get my new Mastercard ?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Helen

rodge68 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I also received this lette, no problem as my Visa card expires at the end of October anyway, but I went to use it recently and it said Card Blocked, are these connected ? If not I am wondering why this happened ? Also when will I get my new Mastercard ?
    Thanks
    Hi rodge68,

Thank you for contacting us on Boards today.

Due to the nature of your request we would advise you to contact one of our colleagues in the Credit Card Department and they will be happy to look into this for you.

Please call 0818 251 251 or 00353 567757303. Advisors are available from 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm on Saturday and 10am to 5pm on Sunday.

Have a good day and if there is anything else we can help you with please don’t hesitate in contacting us again.

Helen

Advertisement