Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI discontinuing VISA cards?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 boomerek

Hello

Why am I being forced to a new cards even though my Visa expires in 2017? New, numbers cause a LOT of troubles, do I really have to go through this?

thanks
    Michal

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I've received my master card today,

My question now is will my new master card account show up on my 365 online as my visa did? or will I have to add the account to my online accounts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Janet

boomerek wrote: »
    Hello

Why am I being forced to a new cards even though my Visa expires in 2017? New, numbers cause a LOT of troubles, do I really have to go through this?

thanks
    Michal
    Hi boomerek, 

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards.

We're migrating to MasterCard to offer enhanced features to our Credit Card Customers. You can find further details on our MasterCard migration here.

All credit card limits, APR's and Terms and Conditions will remain the same when your account is migrated to MasterCard. You won't need to change any details of your Direct Debit payment, and if you have your credit card set up for viewing on 365 online, or a s a bill payee, these will automatically update. 

However please note that if you have any Direct Debits or subscription payments set up using your Credit Card, it will be necessary for you to provide the company with your new card details.

If we can help with anything else please let us know.

Janette

I've received my master card today,

My question now is will my new master card account show up on my 365 online as my visa did? or will I have to add the account to my online accounts?
    Hi AndyBoBandy, 

Thanks for your post.

You won't need to change any details of your Direct Debit payment, and if you have your credit card set up for viewing on 365 online, or as a bill payee, these will automatically update. 

If we can help with anything else please let us know.

Thanks

Janette

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Whats the history here?

I've had a BoI Mastercard (credit card) for at least 15 years (probably 20) and in the last couple of years my debit card was changed from Laser (iirc) to a Visa debit card.

Why have I always had a Mastercard credit card and will my Visa debit card be changed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

Hi,

I have a twin account with a Visa and Mastercard on it.  Will both of these cards be replaced with a new Mastercard or will I still have the old Mastercard in use along with the newly issued Mastercard?  ie will I have two cards or one?

Thanks.

PS This is a serious pain having to update all the accounts that I have registered my credit cards with.

my3cents wrote: »
    Whats the history here?

I've had a BoI Mastercard (credit card) for at least 15 years (probably 20) and in the last couple of years my debit card was changed from Laser (iirc) to a Visa debit card.

Why have I always had a Mastercard credit card and will my Visa debit card be changed?
    Hi my3cents, 

Thanks for your post.

If you've always had a MasterCard, that must be the type of Credit Card account you applied for originally. 
    Your Visa debit is card is linked to your current account and there is no current plans to change Visa debit cards to any other card type.

If we can help with anything else please let us know,

Thanks

Janette

Hi,

I have a twin account with a Visa and Mastercard on it.  Will both of these cards be replaced with a new Mastercard or will I still have the old Mastercard in use along with the newly issued Mastercard?  ie will I have two cards or one?

Thanks.

PS This is a serious pain having to update all the accounts that I have registered my credit cards with.
    Hi selfbuilder1, 

Thanks for your post.

With the migration, your twin account will automatically be transferred to a sole MasterCard account where you will only have one MasterCard per card holder on the account.

This migration will not have any impact on how you use your credit card and it will have several benefits including the options of Payment Plan, 3D Secure and Contactless. 

You won't need to change any details of your Direct Debit payment, and if you have your credit card set up for viewing on 365 online, or as a bill payee, these will automatically update.

For more information we have a dedicated page here, to help address queries. 

I hope this helps clarify and if we can help with anything else please let us know.

Thanks

Janette

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

Apologies if asked & answered in general earlier but need a specific answer: came home today and new Mastercard with validity 09/15 - 06/18 waiting for me in letter dated 25 Sept. Tomorrow AM I fly on a 2 week trip most of which has been booked via 'old/existing' Visa. I return Oct 19. Am I ok to stick with current Visa for duration and only activate/use Mastercard on my return?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara P

Redderneck wrote: »
    Apologies if asked & answered in general earlier but need a specific answer: came home today and new Mastercard with validity 09/15 -  06/18 waiting for me in letter dated 25 Sept. Tomorrow AM I fly on a 2 week trip most of which has been booked via 'old/existing' Visa. I return Oct 19. Am I ok to stick with current Visa for duration and only activate/use Mastercard on my return?
    Hi Reddnerneck,

Thank you for contacting us here on Boards.ie.

Your old card will remain active for 30days after you receive your new card as part of the migration; this will operate as normal on your holiday.

For information on our migration to Mastercard take a look here.

To have a note added to your Credit card to state you will use your card abroad you can either send a message via the Ask a Question option on Banking 365 Online or you can call Credit card services on 0818251251 & a representative will add a note to your account.

Have a great holiday,

Thanks,

Tara C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

It would be appropriate for BOI to clarify the effect of any postal disruption on this rollout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

Hi Nichard Dixon,

Thanks for you post.

Unfortunately some of our services are impacted by the current situation at An Post. Apologies for any inconvenience caused, we're monitoring the situation with An Post and as soon as the issue has been resolved we expect normal service to resume.

Thanks
    Nicola

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

I understand that the existing VISA card will continue to operate for a period of 30 days following issuing of the new Mastercard. Does the 30 days count from the date of the letter or from the date of receipt? 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sharon

craoltoir wrote: »
    I understand that the existing VISA card will continue to operate for a period of 30 days following issuing of the new Mastercard. Does the 30 days count from the date of the letter or from the date of receipt? 
    Hi craoltoir,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.

Your Visa credit card will remain active for 30 days from the date your new MasterCard is issued. 

This date can be seen on the letter you received regarding the change to MasterCard.

Thanks,

Sharon

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

Your Visa credit card will remain active for 30 days from receipt of your new MasterCard. 
    Do Bank of Ireland know actually when the customer receives their new MasterCard? Or is it the case that they make a guess about this and add 30 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

To be honest, if BoI had asked their customers if they wanted this change, they'd have gotten a resounding 'no'.  My BoI visa already does contactless payments, so saying these are a benefit is just waffle.  The many accounts (dropbox, eflow, google storage, amazon, aer lingus, ryanair.... ) where credit cards are stored and used over long periods of time now all need to be updated. Until the next apparently-random, no-customer-input change from our bank. 

It's deeply annoying. And, of course, BoI is so far down the transition process by the time anyone hears about it, that there's zero prospect of their actually not doing it, despite the stated customer unhappiness. 

The whole process feels about as well managed as Irish Water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Hi craoltoir,

Your Visa credit card will remain active for 30 days from receipt of your new MasterCard. 

Thanks,

Sharon
    Hi Sharon,
    Can you check this, as I was told by one of the credit card team over the phone it was the date of issue. Not sure how BoI woukd know when you receive your card, unless you need to activate it? 
    I was asking as I'm due to travel over the next few weeks and it is a bit of a nightmare as my VISA may expire while I'm away but I won't have my new one before I go...
    It's all a bit inconvenient to be honest, not sure why I have to spend time updating all my details with different providers due to a change I didn't ask for in the first place...
    Thanks.

Do Bank of Ireland know actually when the customer receives their new MasterCard? Or is it the case that they make a guess about this and add 30 days?
    Hi Nichard Dixon,

When a customer receives the letter, it will give the date of when the new card will be posted. We'd always advise that if this is not received within 3 to 5 working days, to call customer services on 0818251251 and a representative will be happy to help.

Hope this helps,

Tara C

brownian wrote: »
    To be honest, if BoI had asked their customers if they wanted this change, they'd have gotten a resounding 'no'.  My BoI visa already does contactless payments, so saying these are a benefit is just waffle.  The many accounts (dropbox, eflow, google storage, amazon, aer lingus, ryanair.... ) where credit cards are stored and used over long periods of time now all need to be updated. Until the next apparently-random, no-customer-input change from our bank. 

It's deeply annoying. And, of course, BoI is so far down the transition process by the time anyone hears about it, that there's zero prospect of their actually not doing it, despite the stated customer unhappiness. 

The whole process feels about as well managed as Irish Water.Hi Brownian,

Hi Brownian,

We are sorry to hear you feel this way. We appreciate your feedback and we will be sure to pass on your feedback.

Just to mention, while the contact-less option is available on BOI Visa Debit cards it is currently not offered on BOI Visa Credit cards. Once migration is complete all new Mastercards will offer this facility.

Thanks,

Tara C

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Hi craoltoir,

Thanks,

Sharon
    Hi Sharon,
    Can you check this, as I was told by one of the credit card team over the phone it was the date of issue. Not sure how BoI woukd know when you receive your card, unless you need to activate it? 
    I was asking as I'm due to travel over the next few weeks and it is a bit of a nightmare as my VISA may expire while I'm away but I won't have my new one before I go...
    It's all a bit inconvenient to be honest, not sure why I have to spend time updating all my details with different providers due to a change I didn't ask for in the first place...
    Thanks.
    Hi Poochie05,

Apologies, we have double checked this with our Credit card team and you are correct your current card will remain active for 30 days from the date of issue.

This date can be seen on the letter you received regarding the change to Mastercard.

We’ve updated our previous post with the correct information.

Thanks,

Tara C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Hi Poochie05, 
    Apologies, we have double checked this with our Credit card team and you are correct your current card will remain active for 30 days from the date of issue.

This date can be seen on the letter you received regarding the change to Mastercard.

Thanks,

Tara C
    Thanks Tara.
    If you are passing on feedback can I just say that for such a big change, the letter is quite vague and lacking in general (or indeed useful) information.
    I got more useful information from you guys here on Boards. 

The letter doesn't give any concrete information in relation to contact details for the Credit Card team for queries, including phone number and it is unclear that the date in the letter will be regarded as the date of issue and that our VISA card will expire 30 days after this. At least now we havve a useful timeframe to update records. 

Thanks for the clarification!

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

If the letter states that the new card will be issued by 3 October, is this the date from which the 30 days count, irrespective of the date on the letter accompanying the new card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Hi Poochie05, 

Thanks,

Tara C
    Thanks Tara.
    If you are passing on feedback can I just say that for such a big change, the letter is quite vague and lacking in general (or indeed useful) information.
    I got more useful information from you guys here on Boards. 

The letter doesn't give any concrete information in relation to contact details for the Credit Card team for queries, including phone number and it is unclear that the date in the letter will be regarded as the date of issue and that our VISA card will expire 30 days after this. At least now we havve a useful timeframe to update records. 

Thanks for the clarification! 

Thanks for your reply Poochie05 and for your feedback. We always appreciate Boards users comments and will pass on your feedback to our Credit Card team. If there is anything else we can help you with, don't be afraid to give us a shout here.

Thanks again,
    Sarah 

If the letter states that the new card will be issued by 3 October, is this the date from which the 30 days count, irrespective of the date on the letter accompanying the new card?
    Hi craoltoir, 

Thanks for your reply. 

Yes the 30 days goes from the date that is included on your letter. 

Sarah

I got a master card in the post today even though I never asked for one. I already have a Visa card and that was only renewed a few weeks ago.

What should I do with this card, just cut it up or should I phone the credit card people ??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Bank of Ireland are changing to MasterCard instead of Visa, I would of thought they would have explained in letter but havn't received my new one yet so not sure. You should have got a letter a month or so ago explaining it also. 

yorlum11 wrote: »
    As far as I know BOI are replacing visa with MasterCard. Give your bank a call.
    Nice of them to let me know. I had serious grievance with mastercrad a number of years ago so if this is being forced on me, my accounts will be closed in the morning. What other banks offer Visa ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

PTSB and I think they still have free banking if you lodge €1,500 in a month...think they even have a €100 cash offer for taking up the cc offer !

gaz wac wrote: »
    PTSB and I think they still have free banking if you lodge €1,500 in a month
    On the phone to them now. Saw the other thread here about them changing over,  I missed it when I checked earlier before I posted.

• Advertisement

I got a master card in the post today even though I never asked for one. I already have a Visa card and that was only renewed a few weeks ago.

What should I do with this card, just cut it up or should I phone the credit card people ??? :confused:
    Hi Enfilade, 

We have a thread on this here, and you can also find FAQ's on our Mastercard migration here. As cruizer101 correctly mentions, we posted letters to our Credit Card customers to notify you of this migration. If you wish to speak with our Credit Card team about this you can call them on 0818 251 251 and they will be happy to discuss this further with you. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

Advertisement