Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI discontinuing VISA cards?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭RnR

I got a master card in the post today even though I never asked for one. I already have a Visa card and that was only renewed a few weeks ago.

What should I do with this card, just cut it up or should I phone the credit card people ??? :confused:
    Hi Enfilade,

We have a thread on this here, and you can also find FAQ's on our Mastercard migration here. As cruizer101 correctly mentions, we posted letters to our Credit Card customers to notify you of this migration. If you wish to speak with our Credit Card team about this you can call them on 0818 251 251 and they will be happy to discuss this further with you.

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Call them on an 0818 number and potentially pay up to 36c per minute for the privilege of talking with them!!

I got a master card in the post today even though I never asked for one. I already have a Visa card and that was only renewed a few weeks ago.

What should I do with this card, just cut it up or should I phone the credit card people ??? :confused:
    Hi Enfilade, 

We have a thread on this here, and you can also find FAQ's on our Mastercard migration here. As cruizer101 correctly mentions, we posted letters to our Credit Card customers to notify you of this migration. If you wish to speak with our Credit Card team about this you can call them on 0818 251 251 and they will be happy to discuss this further with you. 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    I did not receive a letter about any switch to mastercard. The letter today with the card was like a standard one you would get if you had requested a card or a replacement for an expired one, there was nothing explaining why I was getting it.

Will they allow me to keep my Visa card if I call  them? Otherwise it's a wasted phone call, there is no way I will do business with Mastercard after the grief I had with them. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

What should I do with this card, just cut it up or should I phone the credit card people ??? :confused:
    Hi Enfilade, 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    I did not receive a letter about any switch to mastercard. The letter today with the card was like a standard one you would get if you had requested a card or a replacement for an expired one, there was nothing explaining why I was getting it.

Will they allow me to keep my Visa card if I call  them? Otherwise it's a wasted phone call, there is no way I will do business with Mastercard after the grief I had with them. 
    Hi Enfilade, 

Sorry to hear you didn't receive this letter, if you call our Credit Card team on the above number, they can look into this for you. You can find a detailed explanation on this migration at this link. It's not possible to keep your Visa card and your existing Visa card will still be valid for 30 days after we issue your new MasterCard Credit Card. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

Hi Enfilade, 

Thanks,
    Sarah

Hi Enfilade, 

Sorry to hear you didn't receive this letter, if you call our Credit Card team on the above number, they can look into this for you. You can find a detailed explanation on this migration at this link. It's not possible to keep your Visa card and your existing Visa card will still be valid for 30 days after we issue your new MasterCard Credit Card. 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Ok Sarah thanks for the replies. If I can't keep the Visa card I will have to move current, savings and cards to another bank. As I said there is no way in this life time I will do business with Mastercard again. 

Do I need to do anything / inform BoI or would all the switching be handled be the other bank? With regard the Mastercard do I need to cancel it, as I assume when I am switching I will be switching the Visa over and not the mastercard so need to know what I should do with that one.

Hi Enfilade, 

Thanks,
    Sarah

Hi Enfilade, 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Ok Sarah thanks for the replies. If I can't keep the Visa card I will have to move current, savings and cards to another bank. As I said there is no way in this life time I will do business with Mastercard again. 

Do I need to do anything / inform BoI or would all the switching be handled be the other bank? With regard the Mastercard do I need to cancel it, as I assume when I am switching I will be switching the Visa over and not the mastercard so need to know what I should do with that one.
    Hi Enfilade, I've just asked to merge your thread with this existing Card migration thread. 

We're very sorry to hear that you wish to close all your accounts due to this migration. We do hope you reconsider and if there is anything we can help with please let us know. Just to mention the migration to Mastercard was made to offer additional features to our customers such as the Contactless option, wide acceptance worldwide of Mastercard, and installment plans. 

If you do wish to switch your Current account, the bank you switch to will handle the switch for you. If you have your Savings account added for viewing on 365 Online, you can request to withdraw your funds and close the account once the withdrawal is complete. 

To close your Credit Card account, please call 0818 251 251 and our colleagues will be able to assist you with this. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 boomerek

Hello

Ok, so the unwanted new card arrived. I'm actually taking a day off my work to call different places to get through this annoying change we are all forced into..

Question: why I cannot see it on  365 online? I thought it should update automatically and all I see is my old good Visa. 

thanks
    Michal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Janet

boomerek wrote: »
    Hello

Ok, so the unwanted new card arrived. I'm actually taking a day off my work to call different places to get through this annoying change we are all forced into..

Question: why I cannot see it on  365 online? I thought it should update automatically and all I see is my old good Visa. 

thanks
    Michal
    Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Your MasterCard details will update in due course, in the mean time you can still make payments and view your balance on your existing Visa details.

Thanks

Janette

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Got my letter today, was news to me, I hadn't spotted this in the news last month.  This is a real shame, a lot of people want to have a Visa rather than a Mastercard, and Visa is definitely the most well-known and accepted card worldwide.

Final straw for me, and I'll be moving my current and credit cards, and most likely my long-term savings account also (all of which have been with BOI for over 20 years).

You charge more than other banks, I can't even lodge coin anymore in my local branch (except when it suits you), and now Visa cards are being dropped with nothing but a "sorry, but tough" sort of attitude.

BOI has gone downhill rapidly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sharon

PauloMN wrote: »
    Got my letter today, was news to me, I hadn't spotted this in the news last month.  This is a real shame, a lot of people want to have a Visa rather than a Mastercard, and Visa is definitely the most well-known and accepted card worldwide.

Final straw for me, and I'll be moving my current and credit cards, and most likely my long-term savings account also (all of which have been with BOI for over 20 years).

You charge more than other banks, I can't even lodge coin anymore in my local branch (except when it suits you), and now Visa cards are being dropped with nothing but a "sorry, but tough" sort of attitude.

Hi PauloMN,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.

We're sorry to hear you're considering closing your account with us as a result of this card migration. 

BOI have made a business decision to engage MasterCard as our sole credit card scheme and are using this opportunity to enhance the features and benefits available to the majority of our Visa credit card customers. Please be assured that this migration will not have an impact on how you operate your credit card.

We do hope you reconsider and if there's anything we can help you with here, please let us know. 

Thanks,

Sharon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

I wonder about the acceptance between MasterCard and Visa. I have only ever had places not take Visa, never had issue with MasterCard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

When will the new credit cards be posted?  Is there a date where if you haven't received it I should contact yourselves?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

Hi PauloMN,

We're sorry to hear you're considering closing your account with us as a result of this card migration. 

BOI have made a business decision to engage MasterCard as our sole credit card scheme and are using this opportunity to enhance the features and benefits available to the majority of our Visa credit card customers. Please be assured that this migration will not have an impact on how you operate your credit card.

We do hope you reconsider and if there's anything we can help you with here, please let us know. 

Thanks,

Sharon
    Can I just say, I do appreciate your polite and professional replies on the migration, but I do have to echo the sentiments of other posters.

This is not a change I've sought, and if I had the option I would simply retain my existing VISA card. There is a degree of disruption involved in having to update details on eFlow and the like. None of the additional features would induce me to change to a MasterCard voluntarily.

You'll appreciate, if the customer benefits were that enticing we wouldn't need to be forced to either change or seek another bank.

When will the new credit cards be posted?  Is there a date where if you haven't received it I should contact yourselves?

Thanks.
    Hi selfbuilder1, 

Thanks for your post. 

You will first receive a letter informing you of the migration and this will give you the date in which to expect your new credit card in the post. If you have still not received your new Mastercard within three to five days of the date on this letter, please contact our Credit Card team on 0818 251 251 or +353 56775 7303[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]who will be happy to look into this for you. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

Balf wrote: »

Hi PauloMN,

Thanks,

Sharon
    Can I just say, I do appreciate your polite and professional replies on the migration, but I do have to echo the sentiments of other posters.

This is not a change I've sought, and if I had the option I would simply retain my existing VISA card. There is a degree of disruption involved in having to update details on eFlow and the like. None of the additional features would induce me to change to a MasterCard voluntarily.

You'll appreciate, if the customer benefits were that enticing we wouldn't need to be forced to either change or seek another bank.
    Thanks for your post Balf and sorry to hear that you are unhappy with this migration to Mastercard. 

We appreciate your comments here and please be assured that we do pass on customer feedback received on Boards.

Thanks,
    Sarah 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭dirtyden

I got my mastercard today. How long do I have until my visa card expires? I have pre booked some stuff for early November.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

I have just stumbled across this thread, this is the first that I have heard about this unnecessary change. I have not received any letter about this. This is the last in a series of final straws, I have been planning to change my accounts away from you for a while and have not yet done it but now with news of this you have given me new impetus to make the move.

I have been with BOI all my life and have had no problems with you until recent years, but as a company you have alienated your customers with single counter branches, extortionate fees and only dealing with cash one day a week! and now not even giving us the choice whether to have a Visa or Mastercard. You don't even explain why Visa cannot provide the features that mastercard will. 

I hope you will pass along this feedback, not that it will make any difference. Don't bother to reply with your script to ring a number that will cost me to talk about a change I did not want nor will not accept.

MM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara P

dirtyden wrote: »
    I got my mastercard today. How long do I have until my visa card expires? I have pre booked some stuff for early November.
    Hi dirtyden,

Thank you for contacting us here on Boards.ie.

We can confirm that deactivation will mean that no transactions on the old card will be authorised 30 days after the new card is issued. If the reservation date is outside of this 30 day window it would be necessary to contact the merchant to amend your card details.

Thank you,

Tara C

I have just stumbled across this thread, this is the first that I have heard about this unnecessary change. I have not received any letter about this. This is the last in a series of final straws, I have been planning to change my accounts away from you for a while and have not yet done it but now with news of this you have given me new impetus to make the move.

I have been with BOI all my life and have had no problems with you until recent years, but as a company you have alienated your customers with single counter branches, extortionate fees and only dealing with cash one day a week! and now not even giving us the choice whether to have a Visa or Mastercard. You don't even explain why Visa cannot provide the features that mastercard will. 

I hope you will pass along this feedback, not that it will make any difference. Don't bother to reply with your script to ring a number that will cost me to talk about a change I did not want nor will not accept.

MM[font=Arial, sans-serif] [/font]
    Hi mountainy man,

We're sorry to hear you're considering closing your accounts with us as a result of this card migration. 

Thanks,
    Tara C

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

So I got my new card last week and have slowly been updating the number with various service providers, reluctantly but getting on with it. The migration FAQs say not to worry about changing direct debits and updating details on Banking 365. After 25 years with BOI I moved my main current account to another bank 2 years ago in reaction to the increased fees, will BOI make the necessary contact with my bank to change the Direct Debit details? 

Also I have my credit card account set up as an additional payee in my online banking so I can make a payment in addition to DD from time to time, does this also need to be updated? 

If so, what is the IBAN & BIC for the account to pay into? I can't find this anywhere and I note the payment slip on my latest bill does not have an IBAN, just sort code and account number, why is this not an IBAN? I know there are calculators to generate IBANs when you have sort code and acc. no. but why should I have to do it, it is just another inconvenience, why is it not provided in the first place either in the letter, or in the FAQs? 

Getting a bit frustrated at this stage. Obviously no one has read any books on the principles of change management!

Waiting for my billing cycle to end so I can change banks, in the mean time a payment went on on my old card. No problem on to 365 I go to transfer that money to card and whats this ???? They removed the old card and put the new one on there. 20 minutes on hold to be told by the guy who eventually came back to me and said "ah yeah just pay on to that account, it'll be grand" I didn't have a phone registered to re-add the card so that would have taken a week to get some letter with a code.

Your communication is an absolute F'n joke, a simple FAQ here would have saved me an im sure others a 20 minute phone call. The link you keep posting makes no mention of the "what if's", and while we're at it lets call a spade a spade here , the whole mastercard switch is a better deal for for BoI than it will ever be for it's customers.  

• Advertisement

Poochie05 wrote: »
    So I got my new card last week and have slowly been updating the number with various service providers, reluctantly but getting on with it. The migration FAQs say not to worry about changing direct debits and updating details on Banking 365. After 25 years with BOI I moved my main current account to another bank 2 years ago in reaction to the increased fees, will BOI make the necessary contact with my bank to change the Direct Debit details? 

Also I have my credit card account set up as an additional payee in my online banking so I can make a payment in addition to DD from time to time, does this also need to be updated? 

If so, what is the IBAN  & BIC for the account to pay into? I can't find this anywhere and I note the payment slip on my latest bill does not have an IBAN, just sort code and account number, why is this not an IBAN? I know there are calculators to generate IBANs when you have sort code and acc. no. but why should I have to do it, it is just another inconvenience, why is it not provided in the first place either in the letter, or in the FAQs? 

Getting a bit frustrated at this stage. Obviously no one has read any books on the principles of change management!
    Hi Poochie,

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards.ie.

We’re sorry to hear you are frustrated with the change to MasterCard. The direct debit paying your card bill will be updated to debit your current account. If you’d like to make ad-hoc payments to your card will need to add the new MasterCard as a Payee with your bank.

Your IBAN and BIC/Swift details for your credit card are as follows:

IBAN: IE46BOFI90153899943016 / BIC/SWIFT: BOFIIE2D

Please ensure that you include your 16 digit credit card number as the reference in order for the payment to be applied to your Credit Card Account. 

Sterling Payment Details:

IBAN: GB37BOFI90154699943016 / BIC/SWIFT: BOFIGB2B

For FAQs on the MasterCard Migration see here.

Thanks,

Tara C

If so, what is the IBAN  & BIC for the account to pay into? I can't find this anywhere and I note the payment slip on my latest bill does not have an IBAN, just sort code and account number, why is this not an IBAN? I know there are calculators to generate IBANs when you have sort code and acc. no. but why should I have to do it, it is just another inconvenience, why is it not provided in the first place either in the letter, or in the FAQs? 

Hi Poochie,

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards.ie.

We’re sorry to hear you are frustrated with the change to MasterCard. The direct debit paying your card bill will be updated to debit your current account. If you’d like to make ad-hoc payments to your card will need to add the new MasterCard as a Payee with your bank.

Your IBAN and BIC/Swift details for your credit card are as follows:

IBAN: IE46BOFI90153899943016 / BIC/SWIFT: BOFIIE2D

Please ensure that you include your 16 digit credit card number as the reference in order for the payment to be applied to your Credit Card Account. 

Sterling Payment Details:

IBAN: GB37BOFI90154699943016 / BIC/SWIFT: BOFIGB2B

For FAQs on the MasterCard Migration see here.

Thanks,

Tara C
    Thanks Tara.

No point in linking to the Migration FAQs, that was my second port of call, after the letter, and none of the information you have just provided is available there.
    But thanks again for the help given by the Talk to BOI forum here, your colleagues managing the migration could learn a thing or 2 from you guys!

Waiting for my billing cycle to end so I can change banks, in the mean time a payment went on on my old card. No problem on to 365 I go to transfer that money to card and whats this ???? They removed the old card and put the new one on there. 20 minutes on hold to be told by the guy who eventually came back to me and said "ah yeah just pay on to that account, it'll be grand" I didn't have a phone registered to re-add the card so that would have taken a week to get some letter with a code.

Your communication is an absolute F'n joke, a simple FAQ here would have saved me an im sure others a 20 minute phone call. The link you keep posting makes no mention of the "what if's", and while we're at it lets call a spade a spade here , the whole mastercard switch is a better deal for for BoI than it will ever be for it's customers.  
    Hi Enfilade,

We're sorry to hear you feel this way. We appreciate your feedback and we will be sure to pass on your feedback.

To view the FAQs for the MasterCard Migration see here.

If you’ve any queries that aren't answered in above link you can ask us here on Boards.ie and we’ll be happy to help.

Thanks,

Tara C

Sorry but one more thing arising of the change to Mastercard.
    In addition to my VISA card, I already had a Mastercard for emergencies on the rare occasions that VISA may not be accepted. Obviously I don't need this now so I want to close this credit card account. 
    I am not near a branch during working hours so who should I contact and what is the best way for me to contact them to have this taken care of?

I understand the €30 stamp duty will be payable on this account as is it retrospective, but what happens if I get a VISA card with my own bank for similar reasons, will I have to pay the stamp duty again?
    Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

In addition to my VISA card, I already had a Mastercard for emergencies on the rare occasions that VISA may not be accepted. Obviously I don't need this now so I want to close this credit card account. 
    I am not near a branch during working hours so who should I contact and what is the best way for me to contact them to have this taken care of?

I understand the €30 stamp duty will be payable on this account as is it retrospective, but what happens if I get a VISA card with my own bank for similar reasons, will I have to pay the stamp duty again?
    Thanks again.
    Hi Poochie05, 

Thanks for coming back to us. 

To close your additional MasterCard account, all you need to do is call our Customer Service line on 0818 251 251. Our representatives are available Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm, Saturday 8am to 6pm and Sunday and bank holidays 10am to 5pm. 

Upon closure the E30 Government Stamp Duty would apply. However, under Revenue rules, if you are closing a credit card account with a bank in order to open an account with another bank within the same tax year, you are not liable for an extra Government Stamp Duty. 

Upon receipt of payment for the tax with ourselves we will issue a 'Government Stamp Duty Exemption Letter' and you just provide this to your new bank who will then exclude you from collection of this fee at the end of the tax year. 

Just to mention, the tax year for Credit Cards begins the 1st of April and ends the next year on the 31st of March.

We hope this helps and if you need anything else, just let us know. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine

Thanks again.
    Hi Poochie05, 

Thanks for coming back to us. 

To close your additional MasterCard account, all you need to do is call our Customer Service line on 0818 251 251. Our representatives are available Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm, Saturday 8am to 6pm and Sunday and bank holidays 10am to 5pm. 

Upon closure the E30 Government Stamp Duty would apply. However, under Revenue rules, if you are closing a credit card account with a bank in order to open an account with another bank within the same tax year, you are not liable for an extra Government Stamp Duty. 

Upon receipt of payment for the tax with ourselves we will issue a 'Government Stamp Duty Exemption Letter' and you just provide this to your new bank who will then exclude you from collection of this fee at the end of the tax year. 

Just to mention, the tax year for Credit Cards begins the 1st of April and ends the next year on the 31st of March.

We hope this helps and if you need anything else, just let us know. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine
    Thanks for the comprehensive reply Elaine

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

I still haven't received my new PIN yet...I have my new card a number of weeks...Is this normal ?

Hi rodge68,

Thanks for getting in contact with us here on Boards.ie.

Your pin number should remain the same throughout the migration process. The only exception to this, would be if your previous Visa Card was part of a 'Twin' Credit card account. 

If this is the case, can you PM us with your name and contact number and we can have this investigated. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

when is this coming into affect

• Advertisement

when is this coming into affect
    Hi A_Sober_Paddy, 

Thanks for getting in contact with us here on Boards.ie. 

The Migration process began in September of this year and will continue to be rolled out until at least February 2016. If you have a Visa Credit Card with Bank of Ireland, you will receive a letter prior to your date of migration. For more info on this just see our FAQ's here and if you have any further queries, please let us know. 

Thanks again, 
    Elaine 

Advertisement