Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI discontinuing VISA cards?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭str|ct9

I already have a Mastercard. Will I be receiving the new one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

str|ct9 wrote: »
    Hi str / ct9,

Thanks for your post today.

As you already have a MasterCard, you will not receive a new one until your expiry date. One of the great new benefits of our Master cards is that your renewal card will have the Contactless feature incorporated within it. For more info please see here on our website.

Thanks again,

Elaine

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭colinod

2 questions...I added my new card to my 365online before i knew 365online would be updated automatically It didnt go thru yet so how can i stop it from going thru?

How soon should i be contacting companies to change my direct debit details? 

colinod wrote: »
    2 questions...I added my new card to my 365online before i knew 365online would be updated automatically It didnt go thru yet so how can i stop it from going thru?

How soon should i be contacting companies to change my direct debit details? 
    Hi colinod, 

Thanks for getting in contact with us in Boards.ie

When you submit a request via the Online Service desk to update your online view details this can take 5 working days. If it is already updated, our reps will be able to see this and no action will be taken and as such it should not appear twice on your account. 

We would suggest that you contact any merchants whom you hold a 3rd party direct debit or subscription with as soon as you receive your new card to ensure this is updated for your next debit. 

We hope this helps and if you require anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us again. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭nualaonthewall

I already have a Mastercard along with my Visa and have just discovered via this thread  that I will not be getting any new card, despite a letter to the contrary from BoI . My letter from BoI is dated 29 September and, very confusingly, states that  my Visa card will cease 30 days after receipt of my new Mastercard (due by 30 October) making me think I had plenty of breathing space. 

So,  since this letter is clearly incorrect, when will my Visa actually cease? My Visa card is linked to an imminent  holiday booking that can't be changed now and I need it to remain active until after 10 November. I am very unhappy at the way this was conveyed by BoI and the implications for customers. 

• Advertisement

I already have a Mastercard along with my Visa and have just discovered via this thread  that I will not be getting any new card, despite a letter to the contrary from BoI . My letter from BoI is dated 29 September and, very confusingly, states that  my Visa card will cease 30 days after receipt of my new Mastercard (due by 30 October) making me think I had plenty of breathing space. 

So,  since this letter is clearly incorrect, when will my Visa actually cease? My Visa card is linked to an imminent  holiday booking that can't be changed now and I need it to remain active until after 10 November. I am very unhappy at the way this was conveyed by BoI and the implications for customers. 
    Hi nualaonthewall, 

Thanks for your post and we're sorry that the migration process has caused confusion. 

To help us answer your specific query, can you confirm if your Credit Card account is known as a 'Twin Account'? This would be where your Visa and MasterCard operate on the same account.

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

Hi nualaonthewall, 

Thanks for your post and we're sorry that the migration process has caused confusion. 

To help us answer your specific query, can you confirm if your Credit Card account is known as a 'Twin Account'? This would be where your Visa and MasterCard operate on the same account.

Thanks, 
    Elaine 
    Thanks for fast reply. Yes, both cards on one joint (husband and wife) account on same statement  

Hi nualaonthewall, 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 
    Thanks for fast reply. Yes, both cards on one joint (husband and wife) account on same statement  
    Thanks for your reply. 

In this case, you will receive 2 new Master Cards in the post. Currently, you would have access to a MasterCard and Visa Card for both your husband and yourself. With migration, this account will transfer to a sole MasterCard account and you will receive 2 new Master Cards in the post as confirmed with your letter. 

If the letter states that your new cards are due to arrive on the 30th of October then your existing cards will remain valid until the end of November. However, if your letter advises that your existing cards will de-activate on the 30th please call our customer service team on 0818365365 to report that your cards have not yet been received. If the latter is the case, then our reps will issue new cards to your address which will allow you to update your details with your holiday provider prior to travelling. 

I hope this helps ease your concerns and if you need any further help, please don't hesitate to post again. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

We are leaving the country in the early hours of 30th October, before any post arrives. My letter from BoI says my card will be posted before 30th October. At this stage, I just want to  know that I will have the use of both cards until mid November. I'm getting seriously worried now that I will have neither, especially if a new pin is involved. 
    Ringing that  CS number for info has not helped me much in the very recent past.  Promises of a call back (twice) came to nothing. I believe your info letters are less than helpful - stating that existing cards will be valid for 30 days after 'we issue your new Mastercard' is ambiguous in the context of the letter I received. 

We are leaving the country in the early hours of 30th October, before any post arrives. My letter from BoI says my card will be posted before 30th October. At this stage, I just want to  know that I will have the use of both cards until mid November. I'm getting seriously worried now that I will have neither, especially if a new pin is involved. 
    Ringing that  CS number for info has not helped me much in the very recent past.  Promises of a call back (twice) came to nothing. I believe your info letters are less than helpful - stating that existing cards will be valid for 30 days after 'we issue your new Mastercard' is ambiguous in the context of the letter I received. 
    Hi nualaonthewall, 

From the information you've provided us here, your new cards should arrive by the 7th of November and thus your old cards will not expire until the end of November. 

However, as we do not have account access here it would be best to contact our Customer Service team on 0818251251. Our representatives are fully equipped to address queries or concerns regarding the migration and would be more than happy to help offer further clarification. 

We appreciate your feedback regarding the the migration letters and we will forward your comments to the relevant area. 

Thanks again, 
    Elaine 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭tmh106

I also have a twin account. I really value this, because when I travel, sometimes Visa is accepted where Mastercard is not. Or if there is a problem swiping my Mastercard, my Visa usually works. I still don't understand from any of the replies why you cannot maintain Visa - and the reality I think is there is no reason why you cannot, you simply chose not to for business reasons. I can understand why you would do this, I might not like it, but I can understand it. But what is really annoying, is the response that is given when people ask "why is this being done". Giving an answer that runs along the lines "[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]to enhance the features and benefits available[/font]" is pure bunkum. As far as I can see, there is no reason why any of the enhanced features could not be implemented while retaining VISA - please clarify for me if this is not correct. If there are "benefits" accruing from this decision I doubt many of them will flow down to customers. 

So, while I am unhappy to lose my Visa, I am even more unhappy at being treated like a fool with some of the stock answers being given here, and in the BOI Q&A statement that is linked to by many of the replies here. By the way, nothing personal to any of the BOI employees who are answering these posts - I fully appreciate you are just doing your job, and are restricted to stock answers. My beef is with BOI, the organisation, and the way they take customer loyalty for granted (though we the customer bear a large element of responsibility for that too).

Probably best not to reply to this post. I expect you would have to reply with the usual stock reply. Considering ,my comments that would be just throwing oil on the fire. So no reply needed, and actually no reply appreciated. However I would appreciate if you could give this feedback to the bank. Thanks.

Tmh

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭factnee

Hi,

I moved address and didn't change my address in the meantime. While the new MasterCard is in the process of being posted on to my new address, I am going to the US in the morning for a week and am concerned by a text message I got yesterday which states that "your old card will stop working in the next fortnight". Does this mean that my old Visa card could stop working at any time in the next 2 weeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara P

factnee wrote: »
    Hi,

I moved address and didn't change my address in the meantime. While the new MasterCard is in the process of being posted on to my new address, I am going to the US in the morning for a week and am concerned by a text message I got yesterday which states that "your old card will stop working in the next fortnight". Does this mean that my old Visa card could stop working at any time in the next 2 weeks?
    Hi,

Thank you for contacting us here on Boards.ie.

Your current Visa card will remain active for 30 days from the date of issue.

As you mentioned that you have moved address and not received the letter with the new card and the issue date you can call Credit card services on 0818251251 to check when your current Visa card will become inactive.

Thanks,

Tara C

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Hello

I have been away a lot recently and had made the first purchase of an installment plan for Electric Picnic 2016 on my old bank of ireland Visa credit card. As I have seen from the above conversations, I am responsible for the changes. However based on the terms and conditions of the agreement for the deposit scheme with Ticketmaster the same card must be used for all three payments.

Can you provide any support or information? You colleagues on the phone had never heard of this.

Thanks
    Hils

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi Awayindahils,

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards.ie.

In this instance, we would suggest contacting Ticketmaster to explain the situation. Ticket agents would usually have a procedure in place for when a customer may have had the original card, used to make a booking, cancelled due to it being lost or stolen. They may be able to accept any letters you've received from us regarding the MasterCard migration and allow the additional installments be made with the new card.

Thanks
    Tara

Hi str / ct9,

As you already have a MasterCard, you will not receive a new one until your expiry date. One of the great new benefits of our Master cards is that your renewal card will have the Contactless feature incorporated within it. For more info please see here on our website.

Thanks again,

Elaine
    My card isn't due to expire for another couple of years. Is there no way to get the contactless one sooner (preferably without cost) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Hi str / ct9,

Thanks again,

Elaine
    My card isn't due to expire for another couple of years. Is there no way to get the contactless one sooner (preferably without cost) ?
    Makes a mockery of BoI's reasons for changing to Mastercard.

Can someone answer my question above?

Hi str / ct9,

Thanks again,

Elaine
    Hi str \ct9, 

Apologies for the delay in our reply. 

This is certainly possible. Just call 0818 251 251 and our representatives will be happy to arrange this for you. Just to mention, there is no charge for a new or replacement Credit Card. 

I hope this helps and apologies again for our delayed reply. 
    Elaine 

• Registered Users Posts: 86,463 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

So when are visa cards gone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Tow

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    So when are visa cards gone?
    Drop them into your local branch for recycling under the WEEE Directive.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara P

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us here on Boards.ie.

The Migration process began in September of this year and will continue to be rolled out until at least February 2016. If you’ve a Visa Credit Card with Bank of Ireland, you will receive a letter prior to your date of migration.

For more information on the MasterCard migrations please see our FAQ's here and if you have any further queries, please let us know. 

Thanks,

Tara C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Ok, so now I'm a bit confused.

Up to now I've had a Mastercard and a Visa card on the same account. I've just received a new Mastercard, with a different number to my current one to replace the Visa card. My other Mastercard was not due for renewal until 3/18.

Will this card replace the other Mastercard and will I receive a new pin for it? I would be grateful if you could clarify this please.

Advertisement