Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple TV (2015 Model)

• 10-09-2015 1:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭

According to MacRumors, Siri won't be available on the Apple TV in Ireland.
    The new Apple TV will begin shipping in nearly 80 countries at the end of October. The new Siri Remote is only available in the United States, United Kingdom, France, Spain, Germany, Canada and Australia. Other countries will receive a remote that replaces the Siri with a Search app. The new Apple TV is priced at $149 for the 32 GB version and $199 for the 64 GB version.

So I guess the best way of getting one with Siri is via Parcel Motel through Apple UK.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

That seems very strange, especially switching out the remote. Disabling the feature would make a bit more sense, I'd be surprised if they didn't bundle the same remote in the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Looks like buying one from Belfast will be the way to go.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I won't buy at launch , but the minute theres a way I can use this to play files from my NAS , I'll be replacing both my ATV2 with these. Looks really nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I love Irish independence as much as the next bloke, but I'm really starting to wish that tech companies would lump Ireand in with the UK for their product launches. It's not like there's any real localisation work that needs to be done, particularly for voice features - our accents are no more difficult to understand than any regional accent in the UK or the U.S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Wonder how Siri gets on in Scotland...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

They aren’t switching out the remote. It’s the same remote. Siri just won’t be enabled. Ordering from the UK won’t get you Siri either unless (I assume) you also have a UK iTunes account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Whats the reasoning behind dropping Siri?

i might have bought it to see what its like but will give it a miss now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭retweet

adox wrote: »

Siri isn't fully supported in Ireland. There isn't much of a demand for them to support it further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I was going to get it but they got rid of the optical link. It's the only way I could get 5.1 on it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

If they are not switching the remote then I presume their is no advantage in buying in in Belfast then as opposed to when it goes on sale here?

Do we know if a UK itunes account will be enough or will a VPS or similar to hide our location also be required? A lot of unknowns for Irish consumers.

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »

The reasoning is that Siri is only officially supported in those 8 countries. Yes you can turn it on through settings but it's not officially supported in ireland.
    Dudda wrote: »
    If they are not switching the remote then I presume their is no advantage in buying in in Belfast then as opposed to when it goes on sale here?

Do we know if a UK itunes account will be enough or will a VPS or similar to hide our location also be required? A lot of unknowns for Irish consumers.

I doubt you'll need any VPN/VPS trickery. but if the remotes are different you'll have to buy from the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Hopefully they won't get smart and restrict you from changing the DNS code to an American one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Seems like there will be two different versions of the remote that's bundled with the Apple TV.

From 9to5Mac:
    The Apple TV Remote comes in two flavors—one with Siri built in and the other with onscreen search capabilities. The Siri Remote is available in the following countries:

Australia
    Canada
    France
    Germany
    Japan
    Spain
    United Kingdom
    United States

Really surprised that they are going down this route, would make more sense to just let people use it with the limited support. I might just opt for the UK version, although I'd prefer just to get one from the Irish store like usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Can't believe they dropped the optical port at back of the device.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

DubDJ wrote: »
    Seems like there will be two different versions of the remote that's bundled with the Apple TV.

From 9to5Mac:

Really surprised that they are going down this route, would make more sense to just let people use it with the limited support. I might just opt for the UK version, although I'd prefer just to get one from the Irish store like usual.

It’s the same remote. Siri just won’t be enabled outside of those countries. I don’t know, but I reckon there might be rights issues with the universal search.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

No it's going to be two different remotes, one is the siri remote, the other is the on screen search remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Does anyone actually use Siri?

I used it the first day i got my phone and haven't ever used it since

Zymurgist wrote: »

All the time. Especially on the watch.

<3 Siri :)

OSI wrote: »
    Why? Optical has long been surpassed by HDMI for sound.

A lot of people have a lot of money invested in amp that's take optical signal for audio, and they might not want to upgrade their very expensive amp, sure they can get sound through the TV, but they will not be able to get 5.1 sound through their old amp on their new ATV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

there's a huge difference in Siri from ios8 to ios9. I can use Siri to call anyone or open any program without issues. Try to do the same in iOS8 and it fails miserably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭crc

eeloe wrote: »
    A lot of people have a lot of money invested in amp that's take optical signal for audio, and they might not want to upgrade their very expensive amp, sure they can get sound through the TV, but they will not be able to get 5.1 sound through their old amp on their new ATV

A slightly different setup, but I have a sound bar connected to my current Apple TV with an optical cable. It means I can play music without having the TV on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I would imagine that most people who have bothered to get a good 5.1 setup will have an amp fed by optical. Don't think my TV has an optical out to get sound from the telly to the amp. I also would play music using airplay from Spotify on the phone and don't want the TV on. Forcing HDMI only for sound would certainly stop me buying the ATV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

I use it almost every day to schedule appointments, read and reply texts when I'm out walking, set alarms, make calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

BigMoose wrote: »
    I would imagine that most people who have bothered to get a good 5.1 setup will have an amp fed by optical. Don't think my TV has an optical out to get sound from the telly to the amp. I also would play music using airplay from Spotify on the phone and don't want the TV on. Forcing HDMI only for sound would certainly stop me buying the ATV.

Most newer amps have HDMI that can be used to output muti channel sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I'm an Apple fan. But is anyone else just getting sick and tired of the lack of support for Ireland or other countries in general. We are just becoming sheep. It's starting to wreck my head. I won't be buying an Apple TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

BigMoose wrote: »

Poor from Apple to drop the optical

The Airport Express does have optical out. I use that for my audio AirPlay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭StonyIron

I'm an Apple fan. But is anyone else just getting sick and tired of the lack of support for Ireland or other countries in general. We are just becoming sheep. It's starting to wreck my head. I won't be buying an Apple TV.

Even more infuriating given that they're pretty much based in Cork as European HQ.

Seems we're only good enough to avoid tax in. Still no stores or any of that and absolutely no sign of them coming either.

Lack of official Siri support is ridiculous too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

StonyIron wrote: »
    Even more infuriating given that they're pretty much based in Cork as European HQ.

Yeah. It's hard to get the head round that one at times!

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    I've had it setup before to have HDMI going to the TV, and optical from the TV to the amp providing 5.1.

A lot of tv's wont output 5 channel, only two channel.

Advertisement